Installation of Headlamp

macmac

Hi all,

I'm just thinking to install a headlamp on my boat to illuminate the waterway during nite navigation. I almost crashed to the moored vessel while i'm navigating back to apple tree bay boat ramp after have a nite fishing session last monday. Just wondering if it is allowed by regulation? Also I found out this boat ramp is so shit that there's no street light near the ramp and its so hard to find it during nite time. If its allowed, where is the best location for the installation of headlamp? Any pix for your configuration?

Cheers,

Phil.

Yeah its ironic they keep the shop at Appletree Bay lit up all night but won't turn a street light on next to the ramp.

I nearly bounced my boat off an anchored yacht in one of the bays there on a pitch black night recently, no anchor light visible :ranting2:

I haven't any issues with the ramp there at night, just finding the jetty can be difficult. It needs a light on the jetty and a street lamp above the ramp to make it safer though.

I've also been thinking about a wide angle light for night-time navigation, it takes a bit of concentration to navigate those areas in the dark since they only put channel markers on every third point...

I am not sure what everyone else thinks but I believe headlights on boats should be mandatory...

I wanna fit a led one to my boat as i usually need the assistance of my dolphin torch to navigate during the night and on some of the other vessels the nav lights cant be seen till your very close.

Its just my 5 cents worth,

Regards,

Nathan

Guest Aussie007

apply tree bay is the worse water i have ever navigated at night when driving through the markers u can only see one marker so u dont know how close or far to be from that marker i refuse to fish there at night anymore its just a hazard waiting to happen and i think lights on boats for forward viewing while under navigating is prohibited or it use to be if there are new rules im installing one

apply tree bay is the worse water i have ever navigated at night when driving through the markers u can only see one marker so u dont know how close or far to be from that marker i refuse to fish there at night anymore its just a hazard waiting to happen and i think lights on boats for forward viewing while under navigating is prohibited or it use to be if there are new rules im installing one

Since owning my first boat I was always under the impression that a headlight on a boat is a bad idea as it blinds people coming towards you, plus it wrecks your night vision and you can only see where the light shines. a hand held one for quick glimpses is safer.

Adding head lights to your boat is a BIG no no, it is illegal, it affects your night vision greatly, it also effects the night vision of every other person that you blind with it, your night vision can take up to 45 minutes to recover from something light that. Every time you turn your torch/lights on you are making it harder to see when you turn it off. If you must turn it on to try and save your night vision cover one eye. If you searching for something use your peripheral vision as it will focus better. At night time yes it is harder to see but if you travel ant safe speed and keep a proper look out you shouldnt have any troubles and if your are having close calls you need to look at what is going wrong... too fast? Too many lights on? affected night vision? Too many distractions?

Edited by Whaler 255

What about a coloured light of some kind, or at least slightly coloured? Doesn't a particular colour not effect night vision.

Only issue I can see with that is it might be confusing for other water users with nav lights, however a bright headlight should only be used when there is no other traffic (quiet spot late at night).

Guest Aussie007

What about a coloured light of some kind, or at least slightly coloured? Doesn't a particular colour not effect night vision.

Only issue I can see with that is it might be confusing for other water users with nav lights, however a bright headlight should only be used when there is no other traffic (quiet spot late at night).

i was watching something the other day on tv i think red is the fastest color to disappear in the dark or it could be the longest lasting i forget someone will correct me? but using anything other than a white light your not going to see jack .... while driving at night stay in between the markers and go at idle speed and u cannot go wrong really or go fishing on nights with full moon so u can at lease see also i remember years ago apple tree bay had a light at the boat ramp that would illuminate once u got close enough to the wharf now if u had a GPS system u could navigate anywhere in the dark knowing where the sides of the river are at all times even a simple mobile phone these days has google maps u can use my $150 mobile phone a very cheapy was pinpointing my location the other day within a few meters i was very surprised one could just wire up a smoke lighter socket to there boat and run your GPS off the battery all night long like i am going to do

They all effect night vision, red is the first colour to disappear as it enters a different medium. But the biggest issue is not night vision but the fact the it illegal to shine any additional lights other than the Navigational lights prescribed under rules.

Marine Orders Part 20 covers all the rules of the road. Part C Lights and Shapes - Rule 20 section b - "The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the light specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out".

As for night vision goggles the will work until you get light reflecting back in them, then they flare up and you can't see anything, this many depend on the quality of the goggles. On a full moon this will be enough to cause this flare up. We have carried them on the ships when transiting known pirate waters and they don't get used unless someone is playing around with them.

To be completely honest if you think you need head lights as such to navigate safely at night time, you really shouldn't be operating a vessel at this time until you gain more experience by operating around the period of last light or first light until you are comfortable and able to distinguish between navigation lights and the backscatter of the city lights. You will only be a major risk too your safety and other boat users.

I have studied a lot of ATSB reports and Coronial Inquest's and been involved with a criminal case (not directly but as a source of information)regarding accidents/deaths on the water and most common things that come up are the inexperience of the people invovled and they are not fully aware of the dangers and situation that they place themselves in. I don't want to read another one to find out that a family has gone out in their boat for fishing/cruising/celebration and don't come home, its not the way the story is suppose to finish.

Edited by Whaler 255

They all effect night vision, red is the first colour to disappear as it enters a different medium. But the biggest issue is not night vision but the fact the it illegal to shine any additional lights other than the Navigational lights prescribed under rules.

Marine Orders Part 20 covers all the rules of the road. Part C Lights and Shapes - Rule 20 section b - "The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the light specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out".

As for night vision goggles the will work until you get light reflecting back in them, then the flare up and you can't see anything , this many depend on the quality. On a full moon this will be enough to cause this. We have carried them on the ships when transiting known pirate waters and they don’t get used unless someone is playing around with them.

To be completely honest if you think you need head lights as such to navigate safely at night time, you really shouldn't be operating a vessel at this time until you gain more experience by operating around the period of last light or first light until you are comfortable and able to distinguish between navigation lights and the backscatter of the city lights. You will only be a major risk too your safety and other boat users.

I have studied a lot of ATSB reports and Coronial Inquest's and been involved with a criminal case (not directly but as a source of information)regarding accidents/deaths on the water and most common things that come up are the inexperience and people are not fully aware for the dangers and situation that they place themselves in. I don't want to read another one to find out that a family has gone out in their boat for fishing/cruising/celebration and don't come home, it’s not the way the story is suppose to finish.

Hear hear, well said Whaler.

Guest Aussie007

Hi all,

Thanx for the replies. But now I get more confused. So is it legal or illegal to have a head lamp?

Cheers, Phil

illegal

the hawks can be a scary place at night you need to get rid off any light in the boat that you can like sounders

i dull the sounder right down at night as it stuffs your night vision and extended the night white light so it was above the bimini[to be legal]but it made a big diferance

the best tool i have for night fishing is the chart plotter it has saved my ass a few times but is only an aid and can not be reliyed on 100%

slow down and open your clears and get your mate to watch as well it may be as simple as extending your night light well over head hight

cheers gary

I agree the hawks can be very nasty at night if you are not familular with it.. more so with the locals that are on the water at night with no lights..When traveling on the water at night you should be in complete darkness other than your NAV lights..I also have a bimini so to be legal with the anchor light I have it on a 2m pole. Your anchor light should be at least 1m above your nav lights and be visable in a 360 deg.. So it would have to be higher than anything on your boat including your bimini..

If you are not sure of the water way idle to your spot or wait till you have more light..

I do wonder ehy channel markers with lights are not more promant in river systems like the hawks.. A few more can only be better

I agree the hawks can be very nasty at night if you are not familular with it.. more so with the locals that are on the water at night with no lights..When traveling on the water at night you should be in complete darkness other than your NAV lights..I also have a bimini so to be legal with the anchor light I have it on a 2m pole. Your anchor light should be at least 1m above your nav lights and be visable in a 360 deg.. So it would have to be higher than anything on your boat including your bimini..

If you are not sure of the water way idle to your spot or wait till you have more light..

I do wonder ehy channel markers with lights are not more promant in river systems like the hawks.. A few more can only be better

Hi Yarraone,

Where did u get your 2m pole anchor light? Is that retractable? Mine is not long enuff and lower than the bimini top. I had this pole light when I bought my used boat from previous owner. PM me if u would not like to advertise the shop.

I also hope that national park install some lights near the ramp and jetty and use our annual pass contribution wisely.

Cheers, Phil

Edited by macmac

for those of you that are interested in what I have done to extend my light pole....

As far as my 2m light pole .. I made it my self .. I bought the S/S pole from .......or you could use SS shower curtain rod.. it is the same size as your exsisting light..about 20mm..I drilled out the pop rivets of my original light, extended the wirring through the new pole.. used the same mounts ..but...I made up some mounts to brace the pole while it is up.. all fittings were bought from a local boat and fishing store.. standard bimini fittngs with SS screws.. It is not telescopic, but can be folded down very easy.. If I am going to night fish I usualy just put it up when i launch and leave it up..The shower curtain rod as now got some surface rust on it.. but it does the job.. I will add some pic's for you.

Mounts....

post-6381-013076900 1304915294_thumb.jpg

Braces....

post-6381-046274700 1304915302_thumb.jpg

Pole....

post-6381-042286400 1304915309_thumb.jpg

Any further info or help please PM me

What a coincidence. Saturday late afternoon 6:30 PM (already dark for a while) I came back to Roseville Bridge ramp.

On the way in I encountered another boat with full light at the front, almost got me blinded. Good that Roseville brigde is well lit.

My preferred solution is getting used to the dark, use the bit of moon there is, and drive slowly.

I just bought a second hand boat that came with spotlights on the bow. I find that they do ruin your night vision and sometimes worsen vision as the light illuminates all the fine particles in the air shortening the distance you look ahead when turned on for more than a few seconds. Which is why I don't use them for navigating the waterway itself.

However, for some reason there are still numerous vessels I've come across without lights on or lights that are obviously not working properly. And after having a few scares with these boats I find the spotlights very useful to quickly flash every few hundred metres when travelling in a crowded or narrow waterway for two reasons:

1. To spot any unlit dangers up ahead

2. Every boat on the water will have a tourch. Not only is it a legal requirement but most people will go fishing or travelling at night with one to find their gear etc. When I periodically flash my lights I usually find someone on these smaller boats will shine their tourch towards me letting me know they're there. For some reason they don't do this as frequently when they see or hear me coming with just normal nav lights on.

While 'headlights' on boats are illegal and can ruin the night vision of you and other boaters, using spotlights in quick flashes has saved me from hitting a couple of floating objects and has helped me locate some small unlit fishing boats at night.

After travelling the cowan waterway for a few years and many times at night I found the best navigation aid was knowledge of the waterway. As said before, those markers are useless unless you know the landforms surrounding the water very well so that they can guide you from point to point.

Another note is that travelling at night by GPS alone can be a huge mistake. A few weeks ago I read an incident report about a yacht which crashed into rocks during a race partly due to inaccuracy of their GPS system.

However, for some reason there are still numerous vessels I've come across without lights on or lights that are obviously not working properly. And after having a few scares with these boats I find the spotlights very useful to quickly flash every few hundred metres when travelling in a crowded or narrow waterway for two reasons:

I wouldn't be flashing lights the lights/headlamps in a crowded waterway, your leaving youself open to plenty of abuse from other boaters because you just have stuffed their night vision. If it is a Waterways/Police vessel with a nav light out or is behind some kind of obstruction you have a very distinct possibility of getting a fine.

It is often the case but not always, that the vessel without some or all of her navs lights is quite well aware of your position your just not aware of theres. It is not uncommon that the equipment fails due to the salt water environment so do be to quick to assume that it is just someone operating with no concern for the rules.

I have lost count of the amount of times that I have been blinded by some idiot running around at 20+ kts in the middle of the night with lights blinding everything that they come across. They just are not needed. As you mentioned if you want to gain someones attention a simple flash with the dolphin tourch is more than enough not 2x150 watts globes turning night into day.