TCD @ Lithgow

With the forecast for a SHEEP GRAZIERS ALERT and possible 30knot westerlie winds :1yikes: Regggie and myself made our way to Thommos for a trout session in the wee hours of the morning.

Arriving at the dam it was eeriely calm,with hardly any wind and the temp gauge in the Pajero reading 1 deg.

This was Stephens first trip to Thommos and we were both excited ,me trying out my new found fly skills (Thanks to Chris ,Caddis for all the tips and help) and Stephen trying to nail his first trout from Thommos.

The morning started off great as we made our way to the western shore with a few big fish exploding on the surface in the darkness.

We tried soft plastics but no joy and Stephen had a half hearted hit on a pink tassie.I have always spun this dam with light threadline gear but I bit the bullet and grabbed the fly rod after last weeks efforts by the boys.

7wt WFF line and an indicator made from glow wool used to make trout eggs and one of Chris's home made nymphs set at about a metre.I sent a nice cast out and within seconds I was on !!! zzzzzzzzzzzz this trout was on steroids and had me down to the backing within seconds with only a 4lb leader I had to be patient,more heavy runs and lunges and then the line went slack Wtf but as luck would have the female rainbow ran all the way back to the bank and was unceremoniously hoisted out of the water by Steve.

It was a great feeling to have finally got one on a fly and after a couple of pics she was back into the cool water.

post-256-060905500 1305098960_thumb.jpg

Next cast I was on again with a little tacker and about 5 or 6 mins later a big trout smashed the indicator wool and not the nymph.

I had a few others hit the indicator on the surface and next time there will be a dry fly waiting for them.

Stephen lost a really good fish when the braid parted (bad luck mate).

The weather turned nasty around 10 ish and we didnt hang around to see if it was going to snow and made our way home.

Thanks for a top day out Stephen,your company is always fantastic and those hot cakes and coffee at Maccas hit the spot nicely.

Cheers Stewy

Well done guys, Thomos is really open to the elements. Have fished it in snow and blistering heat, no wind and gale force stuff. Looks like a nice fat rainbow and Chris's nymphs really seem to do the trick. Interesting about the fish hitting the indicator. Maybe some late season dry fly action left yet. Last week they seemed to be sucking emergers from just under the surface film. Big HIGH pressure early next week. Could be good up there. Well done . Nice hat.

Paul

On Strike.

Edited by On Strike

Great day on the dam.Ticked off about dropping the fish and my atomic lure,i was not happy from the first cast about the braid,then the only hit all day and it let me down, into the bin back to fireline.All the reports said it was going to be cold but we were dressed correctly and we did not feel cold,plus the cardio workout walking into thommos kept us warm.but some of the gray clouds coming over had us a little concerned.Thanks for a good day out but my family still thinks we are both crazy getting up at 2.00am to go fishing in the frosty blue mountains.they just dont understand.............cheers Stephen (REGGIE THE RABBIT)

Bad luck Stephen on not cracking your 1st fish up there. There are some huge trout in that dam.

Stewy! Well done mate. I know how hard you have been trying to crack a good fish on a fly at Thommos.

Congrats on achieving that! :yahoo:

Great dedication and a fun trip for both of you.

Well done,

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice work Stewy. Soon you'll be giving me all the tips.

When I fished with Flycaster a few weeks ago, we were getting a few hits on the indicator. When I changed over to a dry fly, I got busted off by a good fish. If you do find fish taking the indicator change to a dry immediately and hold on tight.

Regards Caddis

Great day on the dam.Ticked off about dropping the fish and my atomic lure,i was not happy from the first cast about the braid,then the only hit all day and it let me down, into the bin back to fireline.All the reports said it was going to be cold but we were dressed correctly and we did not feel cold,plus the cardio workout walking into thommos kept us warm.but some of the gray clouds coming over had us a little concerned.Thanks for a good day out but my family still thinks we are both crazy getting up at 2.00am to go fishing in the frosty blue mountains.they just dont understand.............cheers Stephen (REGGIE THE RABBIT)

Hey Steve, your family and me know that you ARE both crazy :biggrin2:

The proof will be on the next invite whether you accept or not heh heh :1yikes:

Stewy a good technique if they are hitting the indicator is to actually get a dry fly hook size 8 and tie the indicator yarn on it like a dry fly known as an indicator hook then tie the nymph of this works well in NZ or tie on a big size 6 or 8 royal wulff and treat it with gink liberally. Someone let me know when they are heading up love to join you guys!

Great work Stewy :thumbup: Some top fish coming out of TCD at the moment and now you have the style with the Fly we better get that Pejar session up and running, hearing some good things about XOS Browns smashing smelt schools up there :yahoo:

Windy