King Problems

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

Ok basically Ive been out chasing kings for a while now and to be honest with not much luck at all. Ive managed 1 in the very many trips out and it happen to pull up at 63cm.... so spewing as it was a rat and also undersized. Im hoping that maybe a few raiders who catch kings on a regular basis wouldnt mind giving me a few tips and techniques on these fish. Or even if possible, save me a place on there boat and actually show me how its done. I dont mind chipping in for fuel and help cleaning the boat as usual, plus drinks afterwards are just a normality when i fish. But my main issue is getting atleast a keeper king, im hoping for a 1m model but I think I better set my target at actually catching a legal king first then worry about getting bigger. Ive read heapz of reports of alot of awesome kingy anglers on FR and its annoying because i try so hard to catch one and cant seem to do it. Lost countless lures and rigs, spent countless hours on boats and charters but yet no results.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET A KING.

You can PM me if you like or just post straight on here !!!

Thanks raiders, any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers,

Jez

i'm in the same boat as you - without a boat

living here 30yrs never to hook a king.........athough i have only until last few years, had the knowledge of where to go, what to look for and what to use

been hiring tinnies alot recently to no avail - been using soft plastics, as they are effective, and i am a massive fan of them - especially on flatheads

so i got a medium spin snapper rod to get as much soft plastic action witha flick

i've just gotto be at the right place at the right time - it hasnt happened yet

bets bet is live squid.........but i want them on sp - i will keep trying and plugging away, hiring the rosebay tinnie

but i also gotto branch out to botany - but dont know if u can rent tinnies there

living here 30yrs never to hook a king.........athough i have only until last few years, had the knowledge of where to go, what to look for and what to use

been hiring tinnies alot recently to no avail - been using soft plastics, as they are effective, and i am a massive fan of them - especially on flatheads

so i got a medium spin snapper rod to get as much soft plastic action witha flick

bets bet is live squid.........but i want them on sp - i will keep trying and plugging away, hiring the rosebay tinnie

but i also gotto branch out to botany - but dont know if u can rent tinnies there

If you like bud let me know next time your going out and ill tag along with ya !! I know how to catch me livies and that ! So i guess if we both put our minds together im sure we can hook something of size !!!

where have you been going - land-based or boat?/

i'm gonna keep doing this on a regular basis thru-out winter and when it warms again and the kings run begin go alot harder - maybe everyweekend

i'll pm you for next session in a couple of weeks.........always weekends, i work the usual 8-5pm mon-fri, and ruins my fishing lifestyle balance

i know the kings are going quiet as it gets colder..........but i'll still keep trying

I know what you mean fellas they are seeming a bit few and far between at the moment usually we can see a fair few them from the boat in summer but in the past few trips havent seen anywhere near as many maybe just one or two and they seem to move a little slower not as hungry. They are a very smart fish as they eat all my burley but leave my bait just sitting there. hopefully they are staying there through the winter just down deeper ps does anyone catch many kingies inside the rivers during the winter?

cheers

Im in the same boat as you too. havent targeted them much but am yet to get the monkey of my back. If you are keen just to catch one then a charter almost guarantees a few kingies even in Winter if you know who to go with. Throughout Winter i will keep going too. mainly live baiting from wharves in the harbour. Good luck :thumbup:

Same boat as well. By the sound of it there are a few raiders still to catch their first Kingy. Maybe we should hire a charter specifically for kingies. I'm sure there will be enough raiders there to fill the quota

i'm gonna keep doing this on a regular basis thru-out winter and when it warms again and the kings run begin go alot harder - maybe everyweekend

i'll pm you for next session in a couple of weeks.........always weekends, i work the usual 8-5pm mon-fri, and ruins my fishing lifestyle balance

i know the kings are going quiet as it gets colder..........but i'll still keep trying

Hey matey, ive been having a go land based and also on a boat, mostly boat but yeah have had a go anywhere i possibly can lol !! Please keep in touch will be great to tea up a fish n land some nice kings aye !!

Cheers matey,

jez

Same boat as well. By the sound of it there are a few raiders still to catch their first Kingy. Maybe we should hire a charter specifically for kingies. I'm sure there will be enough raiders there to fill the quota

Mate, that sounds like an awesome idea !!

Why not organize a group of raiders and we organize a good charter and see if we can all land our first kings? Shouldnt be too expensive for a good trip im sure !! Whos in ?? Should we maybe open another thread to see if any more raiders would like to join ??

Let me know i wanna get this underway, apparently at this time there is fewer kings but apparently the ones you do find are alot bigger !!

Fingers crossed ladies n gents lets get fishing !!!

Cheers,

jez

i'm down for a kingfish charter 100%

i didnt know they existed specifically for kings until the other week when i came accross one of the charters website, and some mad reports

i just went on a deep sea reeef bash about 4 weeks ago - if i had of known there was secific king charters, i would have done that for sure

they reckons its going quiet, but also he big ones remain - i'm still ready

I just ordered a Penn Spinfisher 850 to go with my boat rod, going to load it with 30lb braid, and it will be my big bait basher just resting out there in low gear, whilst i flick my plastics about at the markers with my lighter spin outfit.

Sweet az !! So where and when whos gonna do the organizing ?? I recieved a PM of another FR member of a charter that do kings and tuna !! Anyone interested or does anyone have any better kingy charters? Just PM on details and we will get this underway... what ill do is ill post another thread in Fishing chat on this charter situation and we can organize it from there...suggestions on which charter, what days and where !!

Should be good raiders,

jez

Edit: Link to new thread asking for interested fishos for a kingy charter can be found Here!

Mate I will help you to land a king , we go to terrigal and last weekend bought home a 11kg model plus there were lots of smaller ones. Also there are lots in close , I know how it feels to want a king so bad !

Guest Aussie007

best advice get a boat even a little 11 foot tinny with a 5hp motor will do toss on a downrigger and your laughing u will catch heaps of kings the problem with land based fishing is your limited to how u can fish u either have to bottom bash and hope the kings are on the bottom or use a float and hope there on the surface and they move around a lot through the water depth with a downrigger u can downrigg all depths and length of water as the boat is constantly moving also use the squid pictured best frozen bait u will ever find

i think picnic point boat shed is still hiring tinnies but u can only go as far as the first or second bridge late in summer u will find kings around the bridges

around december is when the kings fire up u can catch them on anything on a downrigger as u get into jan/feb they start to get harder to catch u need live squid also 5pm knock off isnt bad during summer as the kings are on around 7-8pm than the salmon from 8pm onwards in the bay

i'm down for a kingfish charter 100%

i didnt know they existed specifically for kings until the other week when i came accross one of the charters website, and some mad reports

i just went on a deep sea reeef bash about 4 weeks ago - if i had of known there was secific king charters, i would have done that for sure

they reckons its going quiet, but also he big ones remain - i'm still ready

I just ordered a Penn Spinfisher 850 to go with my boat rod, going to load it with 30lb braid, and it will be my big bait basher just resting out there in low gear, whilst i flick my plastics about at the markers with my lighter spin outfit.

there are heaps of charters that go for kings all the river and estuary charters will target kings if u tell them thats what u want if u dont tell them they take u out just to catch anything at there spots

post-3154-002150100 1306638323_thumb.jpg

post-3154-074568000 1306638331_thumb.jpg

Agree with dan and greg about fresh squid being the key. Also not to dampen your spirits but I would never go out on a charter expecting 'guaranteed' results, the problem with going on a charter specifically for kings is that you will pay a lot of money to go fishing and they might just not cooperate on that day. However in saying that, last year I went on a charter in the harbour specifically to have the guide teach me and my mates how to catch kings and while we didnt catch any that day the lessons we learnt from the guide that day means that now when we go out in our own boat we are reasonably confident of being able to catch a few.