Motorised Trailer dolly, any good for slopes?

HH86

Hey guys,

My garage is on a small slope enough to annoy me when trying to get my boat in or out, i've been wondering about these motorised trailer dollys.

questions are if anyone has one or used one?

Are they any good up a slight slope?

Does anyone know if they slip even on bitchumin?

I nearly lost control of my boat into the side of the wall, but luckily my missus loves the boat more than me and put her body on the line and squashed her self in between the wall and the boat. I asked her if she was hurt after it and she replied "my knockers hurt but apart from that im alright" i said "least you don't have to go for your mamogram anymore".

If anyone has any guidance on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

G'day

Had a mate who had the same prob but used a little electric winch bolted to the ground at the back of the garage. Apparently got it for about $50 from an auto shop. Don't know whether it was 240v or 12v. I think 12 but can't be sure but it worked a treat

Cheers Leo

Hi, Hi Thrust,

I had the same problem and as per the previous reply i purchased a cheap boat winch from super cheap auto. I bolted the plate to the garage floor and attached a sling to the wire rope of the hoist that attaches to 2 points on the back of the trailer. The unit is 12v so instead of using a seperate battery and recharging it i purchased a 12 amp power supply from tandy (about $50) and connected it up to the hoist. The hoist pulls about 5 amps. These units are very noisy but it does the job. The hoist comes with a remote control lead around 3 metres so all you do is adjust the boat as it is pulled up the drive into the garage. Once you are on the flat in the garage you position easlily enough by hand. It certainly beats pushing it by hand.

Cheers for the reply's guys, i have thought of another way to get my boat out. I'll put up pictures if the way im thinking of doing it with a winch works.

• 6 months later...

Formosan If your looking at one with a tow ball check out how it performs when pushing / pulling a trailer.

This is the unit I purchased & discovered that even with the locking plate that fits under the trailer coupling the unit tilted forward & was very difficult to stear & maintain traction.

post-731-043671500 1323292004_thumb.jpg

I changed the fitting to a jockey wheel post & fitted a new JW clamp. It's now easier to connect / disconnect & there is now tilting problems.

post-731-063151000 1323292267_thumb.jpg

The other thing to keep in mind is the power supply , ie battery location.

A lot of these units are made for caravans where there is a permenant power supply from the van

You can run one from the boat battery but connecting can be a bit of a pain.

Geoff

Geoff

That's pure genius..Is that yours? I know of the issues of tilting with a towball hence I never bought one of those.

What you got there with the shaft like a jockey wheel is pure genius.

Pity that unit cost $2K plus, there must be cheaper alternatives with the shaft to work with the quick release clamp.

Formosan If your looking at one with a tow ball check out how it performs when pushing / pulling a trailer.

This is the unit I purchased & discovered that even with the locking plate that fits under the trailer coupling the unit tilted forward & was very difficult to stear & maintain traction.

post-731-043671500 1323292004_thumb.jpg

I changed the fitting to a jockey wheel post & fitted a new JW clamp. It's now easier to connect / disconnect & there is now tilting problems.

post-731-063151000 1323292267_thumb.jpg

The other thing to keep in mind is the power supply , ie battery location.

A lot of these units are made for caravans where there is a permenant power supply from the van

You can run one from the boat battery but connecting can be a bit of a pain.

Geoff

Been looking for the same thing.

This looks like it will do the job without slipping but you have to build it yourself. :( You can buy the plans for it on ee - bay

PIC4.jpg

HOLY CR#P that thing could drag my boat across the Blue Mountains lol. I wouldnt have have to much issue building it but i do wonder where you could source the parts and also a total build cost . But it looks brilliant as far as doing the job , thats for sure !

i use my ride on mower to move the boats around in the back yard just welded a tow winch on the back mind u mower cost me $800 16hp nothing better then mowing the lawns quickly before heading out for a fish :thumbup:

Edited by mc fishn

HOLY CR#P that thing could drag my boat across the Blue Mountains lol. I wouldnt have have to much issue building it but i do wonder where you could source the parts and also a total build cost . But it looks brilliant as far as doing the job , thats for sure !

It the monster truck version of a tow dog :)

I would buy one if you make it and it cost less than $1000

i use my ride on mower to move the boats around in the back yard just welded a tow winch on the back mind u mower cost me $800 16hp nothing better then mowing the lawns quickly before heading out for a fish :thumbup:

I like your style :), How much grass area do u have to mow?

Geoff

Pity that unit cost $2K plus, there must be cheaper alternatives with the shaft to work with the quick release clamp.

I purchased the unit at auction (EB) for just over $1000 & it included the battery.

I made the battery base out of 5 ply. It's offset so the battery does not interfear with the coupling when making sharp turns.

Geoff

I purchased the unit at auction (EB) for just over $1000 & it included the battery.

I made the battery base out of 5 ply. It's offset so the battery does not interfear with the coupling when making sharp turns.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Did it already came with the shaft?

Has it got enough traction to pull your boat up an slight incline? and can it get over little humps ie. 1.5-2cm humps that's is common in the entry to a garage where they use this little ridge to keep the rainwater out.

Your quick release clamp is drilled across the bar, Isn't that a no no? I was told to only use U clamps.

Hi Geoff

Did it already came with the shaft?

Has it got enough traction to pull your boat up an slight incline? and can it get over little humps ie. 1.5-2cm humps that's is common in the entry to a garage where they use this little ridge to keep the rainwater out.

Your quick release clamp is drilled across the bar, Isn't that a no no? I was told to only use U clamps.

The unit came with the ball fitting as per this photo.

post-731-033846800 1323401429_thumb.jpg

The manufacture has a post option as shown here but they wanted $150 plus freight from Perth for the fitting which I thought was a bit rich especially when new complete jockey wheels are available for $35.00 from marine dealers.

As it turned out I found a shaft only at a caravan place for $5.00

post-731-086326400 1323401569_thumb.jpg

The ball is easily removed just leaving the shaft.

post-731-089243800 1323401687_thumb.jpg.

The sleve just slides over the shaft however an internal spacer is prefered to reduce the space between the shaft & the sleve.

post-731-065514700 1323402134_thumb.jpg

Has it got enough traction to pull your boat up an slight incline? and can it get over little humps ie. 1.5-2cm humps

My boat weighs around 800kg & a slight incline is not a problem. The unit has enough power to push over a hump however traction may be a problem.

Your most likely correct about the drilling but the bracket had to be mounted as far forward as possible to provide clearence for the battery when turning. The coupling prevented the use of U bolts.

PM me if you want to have a look at the unit in action

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

It the monster truck version of a tow dog :)

I would buy one if you make it and it cost less than $1000

I like your style :), How much grass area do u have to mow?

i got 800sq block soon to be duplexed... takes around 1hour push mower and 25 minutes on ride on not including edging i have to move boats to mow under them my mower moves a 4.5 runabout, 5m markham whaler dual axel trailer no sweat does wheelie abit on the markham whaler but moves it fine :1yikes:

• 1 year later...

Been looking for the same thing.

This looks like it will do the job without slipping but you have to build it yourself. sad.gif You can buy the plans for it on ee - bay

PIC4.jpg

Hi Raider,

Anyone has successully build this one yet? I am interested if anyone here got this one.

Cheers

G'day hi-thrust , tricky problem , I would suggest a nicely chilled bottle of savignon blanc, get yr wife to sit in a nice comfy recliner , perhaps some moisturiser & gently massage her in the sore areas until pain subsides , apart from that I can't help with the minor problem of the moving the boat around . ???

G'day hi-thrust , tricky problem , I would suggest a nicely chilled bottle of savignon blanc, get yr wife to sit in a nice comfy recliner , perhaps some moisturiser & gently massage her in the sore areas until pain subsides , apart from that I can't help with the minor problem of the moving the boat around .

Hi All, Do what I did put a tow ball on front of car simple and cheap. Cheers RAY

the little tractor above from Geoff is called an "aussie wheel" from company in WA called traveller industries.... run by an old retired engineer makes them himself very very well made.

I had one for my old smaler boat to push it around the yard which weighted about 1.1T and it DID pull it up an incline grass too.

I opted for the tractor tread rough tyres and the AW2 model . All ratings are on their website. max pulling power is AW3 with 24v battery up to 3.5T on level ground!

They have amazing torque and weigh alot the unit itself.

I initially had same problem as Geoff say with tilting in towball till I found best way to get the plate much tigher under towball then no more tilting under load... I also found tho that the more down weight u can get on the unit the better. i literally stood on top of it while using it to add my downweight. Never ever slips on concrete or driveay so long as u have downweight. Cans lip on grass because it rips grass up when I will trying to pull up incline. so i just put a plank of wood down undrerneath it and it ran up that instead

I'm on the ;lookout or a reasonably priced motorised dolly, too. In my case, my driveway is very steep. I drive up into the garage, then unhook the trailer and manhandle it across the flatter part of the driveway at the top, onto an extension slab I had laid off to the side, so that the boat and trailer sit parallel to the front of the house. I can just manage it on my own (if I remove the anchor, the fuel tank and all my fishing gear etc) but if I get a bigger boat or a little bit older, I'm sure I will struggle - it's nearly gotten away from me a few times...!

Baz