A quick report

Piss'n'Broke

Hey all, two of of the last three nights Greg has gone fishing chasing some winter kings in middle harbour and jews very late.

First night out he launched at 11pm, and finished at 1130am next day. He had a Army mate out with him just back from a "stint" if you get my drift. They had a blast chasing squid from 1130-3am with only 9 caught but cant bag out all the time I suppose. At about 3am with fresh squid and yakkas onboard, they decided to anchor up and go for a jewie. Wasnt too much to report of with the exception of a couple of very small jews less than 50cm, and finally just as it was getting light they got a nice size one in the low 60's, which I ate along with the gf for dinner last night,,, Yummmmmmmyyyyyy. As the sun proceeded to come up the kingys came on with a 68, a few rats and finally a nice 92cm model which Gregs mate took for his family of 5 for dinner.

Night two was pretty much the same, late night squidding, anchoring up earllllly morning going for jews. He only managed the one jewie, but he brought me home a lovely 57cm flattie which Im gonna eat tonight. As the sun came up again, the action increased but instead of keepable kings or jews, the rats were out in force, along with the dreaded tailor. He caught 4 rats, one bust off, and 4 choppers(some 50cm+)

All in all a few good sessions. I dunno how he can do it, except to say he must have a brass set of B@#!S to sit in a open tiller tinny in middle harbour at 11pm at night.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Good to hear you were rewarded for your effort considering how cold it was.

Could you tell all raiders how you withstood the conditions.

Very curious.

I dont know how Greg withstands the conditions, except to say he is alot better than me! He does wear thermal gear, and of course a life jacket over the top when fishing at night by himself. When its that cold that I cant tie knots due to busted fingers, and swollen joints in 3-5 degree temperatures in the dead of winter without the help of pliers he does it without a problem in the world.

It must be the sheer enjoyment that keeps him going, and has been for so many years when others, myself included just roll over in bed and say stuff that, its 6.2 degrees without considering the wind factor.

Dan

I dont know how Greg withstands the conditions, except to say he is alot better than me! He does wear thermal gear, and of course a life jacket over the top when fishing at night by himself. When its that cold that I cant tie knots due to busted fingers, and swollen joints in 3-5 degree temperatures in the dead of winter without the help of pliers he does it without a problem in the world.

It must be the sheer enjoyment that keeps him going, and has been for so many years when others, myself included just roll over in bed and say stuff that, its 6.2 degrees without considering the wind factor.

Dan

Well done as usual.You blokes have the most extensive knowledge of the Harbour fishery.

Mark.

Dan

I know how he does it....very easily :biggrin2:

Sydney winters are so mild... even at the dead of night its not that bad at all. Thermals? maybe down the snow when its -13 lol or -30 in Canada :yahoo: when I snowboard I never wear thermals, skivvy and a jacket and I'm fine.

I went Jewie fishing a week ago and at 2am all I needed were jeans, a skivvy and a good quality hoodie. I must admit though, a good quality hoodie is important - make sure it is lined. :thumbup:

The fish are there but no winter fishing MH for me this year.

Exceptions are offshore yellow fin tuna sessions.

Selling the boat this year for a 560 bar crusher later in the year. Can't wait.

Cheers

I know how he does it....very easily :biggrin2:

Sydney winters are so mild... even at the dead of night its not that bad at all. Thermals? maybe down the snow when its -13 lol or -30 in Canada :yahoo: when I snowboard I never wear thermals, skivvy and a jacket and I'm fine.

I went Jewie fishing a week ago and at 2am all I needed were jeans, a skivvy and a good quality hoodie. I must admit though, a good quality hoodie is important - make sure it is lined. :thumbup:

LOL, yeah but when your active, ie surfing in winter, snowboarding or skiing, your body is generating its own heat. Wheres at night when your live baiting not too much you can do especially when your doing it for 4-6hrs. Cant do too many laps of the tinny.

Dan

Hey Mark, hows it going, been killing them with the fly lately? Marcel, since you and your brother stopped fishing the harbour our hook up rates have inmproved, hahh ha.! How has botany been fishing lately?

Heya Dan. Nice reports. Hope to see more kingies turning up soon.

And as for night fishing in winter. I think it's all about being a warm blooded person producing enough body heat. And having the right clothing. Personally I don't find it that cold here in Sydney during the nights. But with the rains, it can get very uncomfortable if you get wet. Hopefully the weather clears up soon. I'm itching to go squidding.

One of the guys at work showed me this little gadgets his manager got them for when they work outside in the cold. Its a bag that looks like one of those moisture soakers they put in fabric furniture, but when you unseal the plastic bag its in a chemical reaction makes it warm up. They put them in their pockets and in between handling things stuff their hands in and hold them in their fist to warm them up.

They got them from a camping store somewhere, yet to track down the source but they look ideal for night fishing :ph34r:

So would I, but we(greg/myself) rarely take photos unless its a first, ie Gregs first 1m+ kingy caught 2 yrs ago kindly photographed by Zenman, my first 1m+ king taken 18 months ago witnessed but not photographed by mji, and a couple of other raiders, my girlfriends first kingy a respectable 73cm.

Greg has always fished with the motto of "I fish for myself, not bragging rights",,, I on the other hand do both. I sincerly wish he had of taken a pic of the 92cm surgeon he caught approx a year back, that would have been an outstanding fish, and would have knocked off my record on this site for a surgeon by a mile! But ahhh well, thats his way :thumbdown: .

If I head out this weekend and get into a few will definately post pics thats for sure

Dan