A day down at the Humps

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

Headed out of Port Hacking this morning and headed South for the Humps. On the way down we gathered some Bonito for our bait which was easy to find. We got down there nice and early thinking there would be a lot of boats there. We were one of the few boats that decided to fish there today. Anyway, for the first couple of hours all we had in the esky were some slimey mackerel that came up our burley trail which we turned into good bait as well. A short time later my rod with a Lucanus Jig started bending heavily. I was dumb-founded to what it could be on the other end as there wasn't much fight so I continued pulling this heavy weight up and couldn't believe my eyes.....I had caught a Cuttlefish on it. As the day went on I found my bait was being harrassed by these cuttlefish all day.....ended up keeping 3 in total and lost too many to count. We did manage to get a few nice fish into the esky before heading home. The Snapper today though seemed to be very quiet, only ended up catching two. They have probably had a good feast of cuttlefish :)

Had a really great day out, plenty of whales around at the moment and it was great to fish with no wind or rough seas for a change.

Chris

post-13990-071373100 1309085639_thumb.jpg

post-13990-072954900 1309085655_thumb.jpg

post-13990-006826300 1309085668_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders

Headed out of Port Hacking this morning and headed South for the Humps. On the way down we gathered some Bonito for our bait which was easy to find. We got down there nice and early thinking there would be a lot of boats there. We were one of the few boats that decided to fish there today. Anyway, for the first couple of hours all we had in the esky were some slimey mackerel that came up our burley trail which we turned into good bait as well. A short time later my rod with a Lucanus Jig started bending heavily. I was dumb-founded to what it could be on the other end as there wasn't much fight so I continued pulling this heavy weight up and couldn't believe my eyes.....I had caught a Cuttlefish on it. As the day went on I found my bait was being harrassed by these cuttlefish all day.....ended up keeping 3 in total and lost too many to count. We did manage to get a few nice fish into the esky before heading home. The Snapper today though seemed to be very quiet, only ended up catching two. They have probably had a good feast of cuttlefish :)

Had a really great day out, plenty of whales around at the moment and it was great to fish with no wind or rough seas for a change.

Chris

Thats a nice feed there Chris, well done.

That's a top feed Chris! A great mixed bag. :thumbup:

Couple of good size mowies too. :thumbup:

Are you eating the cuttlefish? or keeping them for bait? And is the shark a gummy?

I also noticed that you didn't have any jackets in the pictures, so I guess they weren't a problem for you.

Top day out I reckon.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Morning. We were down Hump area and a little wider Saturday. We found way to much current. We have found that the fishing for reds is difficult with so much current.

We dropped the anchor but could not get a bait down - using floaters that is. So we had to drift.

We managed 7 reds and some mowong on the drift with the assistance of a sea anchor to slow us up a bit. No real size in the reds.

It can only improve.

That's a top feed Chris! A great mixed bag. :thumbup:

Couple of good size mowies too. :thumbup:

Are you eating the cuttlefish? or keeping them for bait? And is the shark a gummy?

I also noticed that you didn't have any jackets in the pictures, so I guess they weren't a problem for you.

Top day out I reckon.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes, we are eating the cuttlefish. I find they taste better than squid and softer, if cooked properly they are just alot uglier to look at. The shark is a gummy (yummy). As for the jackets, they were there but weren't much of a problem and no real size to them either otherwise they would have been in my esky too.

Chris

Morning. We were down Hump area and a little wider Saturday. We found way to much current. We have found that the fishing for reds is difficult with so much current.

We dropped the anchor but could not get a bait down - using floaters that is. So we had to drift.

We managed 7 reds and some mowong on the drift with the assistance of a sea anchor to slow us up a bit. No real size in the reds.

It can only improve.

Morning Piratin,

I fished the same conditions yesterday and yes I found the currents way too strong. That probably also explains why there was a shortage of boats down there yesterday but the Humps areas is all new to me in fishing. My Snappers can only get better :)

Chris

I find september and october the best months for the bigger fish down that way. Season is only starting and I am sure you will catch bigger fish over the next three months.

Good luck with it. We are down their in a 6 metre seafarer victory, let me know when your goin down.

Chris,

You have the heart of an 18 year old.

Fishing with me the night before until 10:00pm, sleeping at 11:30 (with 1 million decibels of AC / DC blaring in the background, then waking at 4:00am and fishing until well after dark.

Those cuttlies are indeed nice on the taste buds....

Well done and thanks for a nice night the night before.

and by the way, they call it "The hunt for Red October" down Stanwell way when fishing for reds.....

Keep some cuttlefish for bait for then......

Tony