Windang Beach took my rod

manhands

New Daiwa reel loaded with bright yellow braid on a black beach rod... last seen heading East. Had a Bonny fillet on, went to grab a fresh beer, drag set too tight > off goes the rod out of PVC holder. Stripped off ran in to swim after it but it went too quickly too deep. Rip too strong not worth drowning over a fishing combo but still shattered. I'm thinking it was Jew / Gummy / Ray as it wasn't going super fast just steady and constant. I lost sight of it maybe 40m from shore. So if anyone finds it washed up nearby or hooks something attached to a nice combo please message I'll shout you a day out on boat. Pretty ironic really- the rod I had found floating about 1km off Botany Bay 2 years ago. Cheers

Haha - funny story, love the irony in it.

I was fishing with a mate in the Harbour and he had a live mullet out on a Stradic 4000 / Snapper Raider combo. He'd rested his rod up against the wall to fish his other rod. We see it take off and fly through the air about 5metres into the water and like a submarine for the next 40m or so. Was one of the funniest things I've seen. He wasn't too happy though :)

We guessed it for a kingy

He didn't get his back :(

New Daiwa reel loaded with bright yellow braid on a black beach rod... last seen heading East. Had a Bonny fillet on, went to grab a fresh beer, drag set too tight > off goes the rod out of PVC holder. Stripped off ran in to swim after it but it went too quickly too deep. Rip too strong not worth drowning over a fishing combo but still shattered. I'm thinking it was Jew / Gummy / Ray as it wasn't going super fast just steady and constant. I lost sight of it maybe 40m from shore. So if anyone finds it washed up nearby or hooks something attached to a nice combo please message I'll shout you a day out on boat. Pretty ironic really- the rod I had found floating about 1km off Botany Bay 2 years ago. Cheers

Wow sounds like a fish with attitude , my guess a big jew :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

chris

Your not the first to have this experience and you won't be the last. I lost one when I was a kid at Woy Woy Rail Bridge. Little Jim Deluxe and a 4" left handed Alvey sidecast. My father lost one off a boat at Flint and Steel and then recaught it the next day minus all line.

haha spose all that was left to do after that was have another beer lol spewin! if you wanna go fishing for it this week Im located in dapto lol

Mate happy to go for a fish with you if your'e that close, I'm only a street off the beach at Windang, generally take boat to Shellharbour but new to area so open to advice. Got a Seafarer Viking with 150 merc very kitted out for fishing. And yeh... I may have indulged in another beer and sat next to bonfire cursing the one that got away :beersmile:

that was my rod 2 years ago , it was taken by a blue marlin, i think its the same

Can't remember brand but doubt you hooked a marlin on it, was a fine long Blackfish style rod, prob lost off rocks somewhere in Sydney

Mate happy to go for a fish with you if your'e that close, I'm only a street off the beach at Windang, generally take boat to Shellharbour but new to area so open to advice. Got a Seafarer Viking with 150 merc very kitted out for fishing. And yeh... I may have indulged in another beer and sat next to bonfire cursing the one that got away :beersmile:

Can't remember brand but doubt you hooked a marlin on it, was a fine long Blackfish style rod, prob lost off rocks somewhere in Sydney

ah sweet as mate Ill try n hit you up with a p.m when this ridiculous wind shoves off!

I would have a beer after that, sorry about your rod, it may even have been salmon, heaps around atm, Im heading down to garrie Beach now, let you guys know how I went.

Yep, i've nearly lost a beach rod to an over excited sambo. Been paranoid about turning the drag off any time i leave the rod ever since.

Ouch...

I was in a mates boat, we were trawling off palm beach... He had on each side of the boat, rowlock mounted plastic rod holders....

I Had my pride and joy Tyrnos 20 and Shimano Backbone 15kg rod, Total value about $450 trawling my fav deep diver halco, when it was hit by a King, Snapping the rod holder cleen off the gunwall of the boat...

I Was driving the boat and my mate was sitting next to my rod, All i heard was my mate shouting, YOUR ROD!!! he managed to grab it just before it went over the back of the boat...

End result 70cm king...

Moral to the story, alwase teather rods/reels to the boat! Which i do religiously... lol

Edited by Laze_About

It must be something about Windang 30 years ago a mate lost a rod & reel fishing from the bridge he just went to cast when a truck went pass and he hook the truck one rod & reel heading south to shellharbour. and yes he was having a beer that night.

Steve

Its not just rods and reels at Windang.... Shes a greedy beach, Last year me good mate brett lost his neer new boat crossing the bar... See bellow pics for end result! 2 adults on board and 13yo kid...

She went turtle coming in across the bar...

windang%2002.jpg

windang%2005.jpg

Me other mate steve in his trusty Hilux

windang%2007.jpg

Edited by Laze_About

Its not just rods and reels at Windang.... Shes a greedy beach, Last year me good mate brett lost his neer new boat crossing the bar... See bellow pics for end result! 2 adults on board and 13yo kid...

windang%2002.jpg

windang%2005.jpg

Me other mate steve in his trusty Hilux

windang%2007.jpg

Wow lucky result I guess, no-one hurt. Not been game to cross bar yet, just been putting in @ shellharbour. How big was swell or was tide just wrong?

small world laze about....his old man and himself were

telling me the story about a month back in a tackle store

think he was so lucky to get his son out of that

could have been a lot worse