ahh the drummer

flatiemad

went out in rather flat conditions in the eastern suburbs yesterday, didnt think there would be much action as it was hard to find any good wash. battled the winds, used bread for burley and prawns as bait. started slow then got a couple bream a leather and then!! smash got busted off big time. I rigged up and wasnt going to make the same mistake twice, I get onto what I knew was a big fish, it tried to reef me 3 times and rather than try and yank it out I gave it line and patiently fought till it tired, finally a 55cm monster floated to the top allowing me to wash him onto the rocks. what a thrill....

post-13166-020181600 1309907467_thumb.jpg

Awsome,

Now if you dont mind me asking whats the best way to catch these?

I was thinking of a simple bream setup obviously use at least 10lb as on the rocks its preety easy to be busted off.

I want to give this type of fishing a go as its seems to be good in the colder months and its always good to have a backup plan when the other species are not as active.

Regards,

Nathan

Awsome,

I was thinking of a simple bream setup obviously use at least 10lb as on the rocks its preety easy to be busted off.

I want to give this type of fishing a go as its seems to be good in the colder months and its always good to have a backup plan when the other species are not as active.

Regards,

Nathan

Nathan I use 20lb line, and I know guys who use 30lb dont think you could stop the big boys on 10lb. I use bread for burley and peeled banana prawns as bait. My rig is a small 0 or 00 sinker straight to a 1/0 strong hook. I burley consistently and even use bread for bait at times. depending on the spot I also use a bobby cork at times.

setup:

Snyder mt7144

Alvey 625b

There that strong??? then again i suppose with all the rocks around probably not a bad idea to go heavier.

I like to fish lightly for bream and flatties might have to get some heavier line on my bream outfit and give it a go.

Thanks for your advice

Regards,

Nathan

There that strong??? then again i suppose with all the rocks around probably not a bad idea to go heavier.

I like to fish lightly for bream and flatties might have to get some heavier line on my bream outfit and give it a go.

Thanks for your advice

Regards,

Nathan

Don't under estimate a solid pig. If you don't stop them from the moment you hook up, you've already lost the battle. 10 lb line is for the skillful drummer fisho. Ppl who fish for luderick using 6lb have successfully landed them.

thats a top black pig

well done

i used 30lb mono on alvey with my 13ft beach rod

still lost the occaisional big fella but the long rod gave me a good advantage

oh i hope you bled them quick

Edited by mtcolah

Nathan,

hahahahha - 10lb line on pigs- you are nuts.

30lb tortue line, good knots, strong hooks and then you will nail them. Not to say you won't catch them on lighter gear- but the big Sows - they will dive deep instantly and try and bust you off, so locking the alvey and holding on is the required deeds.

Pigs are awesome fun

Awsome,

Regards,

Nathan

went out in rather flat conditions in the eastern suburbs yesterday, didnt think there would be much action as it was hard to find any good wash. battled the winds, used bread for burley and prawns as bait. started slow then got a couple bream a leather and then!! smash got busted off big time. I rigged up and wasnt going to make the same mistake twice, I get onto what I knew was a big fish, it tried to reef me 3 times and rather than try and yank it out I gave it line and patiently fought till it tired, finally a 55cm monster floated to the top allowing me to wash him onto the rocks. what a thrill....

That fish would have been close to 2.5kg top pig well done.

Edited by slam354

Winter fishing Aaah got to love drummer especially of that size.

Well done and well worth the effort :thumbup:

chris.

Great pig from the wash mate.all pigs go hard but once they top 50cms,theyr pretty hard to stop in the terrain they live in. Nath,your medium weight outfit should be ok for em mate.use your beach rod + locked drags.iv got em on lite gear but if u want to target them,gotta use stronger gear or else you will be rigging up most of the time.lol.if you wanna give pigs a go nath,we'l cut some fresh cunje & we'l get into em.jus need this shocking wind to go away. Cheers johnny

Bugger that alvey idea off seen too many busted knuckles to be that keen.. Gimme an 8000 sized reel with a locked drag and 30lb that'll do the job on drummer it does for groper

one day you will wake up to yourself!

busted knuckles ! lol

dunno how you think u use an alvey but busted knuckles was never relevant to me or my mates in 20yrs

have seen many a fool with an exploding eggbeater though

busted knuckles ! lol

dunno how you think u use an alvey but busted knuckles was never relevant to me or my mates in 20yrs

Not too many 20 year old eggbeaters around that get used on the rocks. I have been using some Krypton Surecatch 10kg for the pigs and it is very good, nice and thin and abrasion resistance. Nice pig BTW, that is a very good effort and tough to land on any gear. Nice work.

Matt

LOL MTCOLAH!!!!!!!!!- " exploding eggbeaters",

Chasing big pigs on an eggbeater- good, go for it- just like taking big Groper on an eggbeater, or fighting insurgents with 5.56!- FAILATHON!

any rockhopper knows the reason to use an Alvey and not a Stella - 1:1 ratio. Sure you can catch pigs on heavy gear etc, but using the right eqpt and the required line etc will give you better chances and more fun

Big Pigs on the stones are akin to Surgeons on 8lb Blackie gear, or Bones on 8 wts with light tippet in ankle deep H20 in Seychelles

P.S- That big pig is like those bast*%$s on Angry Birds Seasons Greedings level 1-19 !!!!!!

busted knuckles ! lol

Edited by Nanook

Bugger that alvey idea off seen too many busted knuckles to be that keen.. Gimme an 8000 sized reel with a locked drag and 30lb that'll do the job on drummer it does for groper

Aside from the fact that the alvey will outlas me !!! there are so many other reasons to fish with them off the rocks,

- when I am fishing with a float it is by far the easiest way to give or retrieve line allowing the bait to look natural in the water

- even when fishing the bottom I still give and retrieve line

- total control of the drag (my palm) instantly lock or release

- not to mention when I started fishing the rocks I did start using a threadline and in just 6 months in simply fell apart.