Mixed bag off Botany

mako1

Headed out off Botany Bay yesterday.

I was by myself so I planned to fish the close gravel beds and reefs.

The sea was very messy due to the swell and wind chop.

I anchored up and started a burley trail.

There was a slight current heading south so I dropped the burley down deeper so it wouldn’t float away.

I was floating out squid and pilchard baits and it took an hour before the rod with the squid bait buckled over and line was peeling off the reel.

It was on the 10lb outfit so this fish gave me a great fight and after about five minutes I landed a 55cm snapper.

Had another good run about half an hour later but I missed the hook-up.

I picked up a mowie, some jackets and tarwhine fishing on the bottom while I was waiting for the floaters to be taken.

Things went quiet so I lifted the anchor and moved 500m to another spot.

I started the burley trail again and I picked up a couple of trevally on the bottom.

About half an hour later all three rods buckled over and I landed three snapper between 31cm and 40cm.

The current completely stopped and the fish stopped biting so I headed back home.

It was nice to have a bait fishing session for a change after so many soft plastic sessions.

post-2229-087566600 1310855497_thumb.jpg

Thats one excellent feed of fish there!!!

Just a question, if I may. When you 'float the baits' do you use a physical float, or just the baits unweighted?

Cheers

Squidboy

Must have been fishing very light for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

That's a great mixed bag Mako...too cold for the yak?? :1prop:

It's definitely not too cold for the yak, been out quite a few times this winter.

Just bought a new sounder and safety flag and light. I'm keen to get out soon to test them out.

With the large swells and the prediction of rain I decided it would be more comfortable on the boat.

Thats one excellent feed of fish there!!!

Just a question, if I may. When you 'float the baits' do you use a physical float, or just the baits unweighted?

Cheers

Squidboy

I start a burley trail and then float the baits in the trail with enough weight to slowly take the baits down to the bottom.

The aim is to keep the bait in the trail as long as possible.

With the cuttlefish starting to die and float to the surface squid and cuttlefish are the best baits to use.

The squid baits completely outfished the pilchard baits on the weekend.

Must have been fishing very light for sure.

On the 10lb outfit I was using 17lb trace with a small ball sinker and a 4/0 circle hook.

On the 15lb outfits I was using 20lb trace with a small ball sinker and a 5/0 circle hook.

Headed out off Botany Bay yesterday.

I was by myself so I planned to fish the close gravel beds and reefs.

The sea was very messy due to the swell and wind chop.

I anchored up and started a burley trail.

There was a slight current heading south so I dropped the burley down deeper so it wouldn’t float away.

I was floating out squid and pilchard baits and it took an hour before the rod with the squid bait buckled over and line was peeling off the reel.

It was on the 10lb outfit so this fish gave me a great fight and after about five minutes I landed a 55cm snapper.

Had another good run about half an hour later but I missed the hook-up.

I picked up a mowie, some jackets and tarwhine fishing on the bottom while I was waiting for the floaters to be taken.

Things went quiet so I lifted the anchor and moved 500m to another spot.

I started the burley trail again and I picked up a couple of trevally on the bottom.

About half an hour later all three rods buckled over and I landed three snapper between 31cm and 40cm.

The current completely stopped and the fish stopped biting so I headed back home.

It was nice to have a bait fishing session for a change after so many soft plastic sessions.

post-2229-087566600 1310855497_thumb.jpg

Top feed of fish , Floater baits work really well.

Great time of the year for those lovely reds :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: .

Chris.