New 4 Stroke Mercury Outboard Fuel Pump Issues

Mr Squidy

Hi Guys,

In November last year I purchased a new 60Hp Mercury 4 Stroke from a reputable dealer in the Sutherland Shire. Engine has had its first 20hr service. Never filled with E10. After around 35hrs the fuel pump that runs off the cam shaft and delivers fuel to the engine just died. Took it back to the dealer who replaced it under warranty and acknowledged that they have had a small number of the new Mercs sold experience this problem. First trip out with the new pump was fine and ran for around 3hrs. Second trip out and the pump simply died again after about 5 minutes of running. Have dropped it back in with the mechanic and they are having another look it, apparently this is the first they have had come back following the replacement of the initial faulty pump.

Anyway would love some advice from any raiders with experience in the new Mercury’s as to whether this is a common problem with their fuel pumps? If not what may be the likely causes? For the record i have been really happy with the service i have received and feel like the guys have been reasonably honest but you do always wonder if they may be holding something back a little to avoid criticising the products they sell.

Rich

hi mate ihave a merc 4stroke 60 efi,1st question is it a efi or carb motor ,i have had no probs with my mech(off camshaft) driven pump before, the only way i know they are stuffed they would start leaking either from the back of pump or fill your oil sump up with fuel,(check your dipstick to see if there is fuel in your oil or the dipstick mark has risen above full).efi"s also have a electric fuel pump which can block up in the strainer.did they show you the old pump they took out?the mech pumps run off the cam and works with a diaphram plunger so the only way they can stuff up they would leak ,huey might correct me if im wrong on that.merc used to sell a fuel pump kit for these but now only sell the whole pump wonder why lol,let us know if you saw the old 2 pumps they took out it sounds strange to me ,2nd ask them did they change your engine oil as it could be now contaminated with fuel which lowers the vicosity of the oil which then can cause damage or total failure to your power head. cheers otherwise they are great motors and usually very reliable if looked after correctly,what year model is it (2010)?im guessing its a efi if so before you take it back to the dealer to check elec pump is running its above the oil filter on the port side,take cowling cover off and get someone to turn the key on 1 click not to start it just so you hear the warning alarm and if you stand next to elec pump you will hear it click on it makes a noise for about 4secs but you will only hear in a quite place,im guessing its your elec pump which is the prob .cheers dunc333 let us know how you go

Edited by dunc333

Hi Dunc, yep she is a 2010 efi engine. Have already dropped back with the Mechanic so will see what they come up with. When it dies the pump literally stopped working meaning no fuel was reaching the engine. Was able to get back to the ramp fine each time by just hand priming as i went which would indicate that its the mechanical as opposed to the electric pump that has failed i would think. The Mechanic seems to think it relates to the seal around the head of the piston being to tight when new and jamming within the pump. Never saw the pump when they removed it the first time and to be honest i think they didn't even both pulling it apart at that stage and just changed it straight over for a new one under warranty. Its a shame because otherwise the Engine is just superb. Thanks for your thoughts on the issue, will let you know the outcome.

R

The electric pump is the lift pump, it lifts the fuel from the tank, its only their for that purpose. (low pressure) if priming by hand gets you back to ramp it aint the mechanical pump which is actually your high pressure injection pump.