Wallys Wharf

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

With all the great weather today decided to have a family afternoon down at Wallys Wharf, Port Hacking.

I was down there having some fun with the kids doing a bit of squiding, not that I caught any. Hopefully have better luck next time. Water clarity is still very brown. During the afternoon the fisheries came down and checked everyone for licences and their catch. I was ok with my licence whereas the other people didn't hold licences and one man was caught with 15 undersize Mullet. There was plenty of Mullet there to be caught today but not of legal size, they have to be 15cm and under for live bait and kept alive with an air pump etc or over 30cm for eating.

Just thought I'd let anyone new to fishing know if catching Mullet to be very careful of the sizes as the fisheries do patrol the areas. It becomes a very expensive fishing trip if you are intending to only gather them for live bait (make sure you always have an air pump).

I had a great laugh today at how quickly people run when they see the fisheries and know they don't have a licence on them :lol::lol::lol:

I must say though, the fisheries were very polite today. They even commented on what a good selection of squid jigs I had, even though they don't get used that often.

Chris

Thanks for the reminder.

It's also disappointing they won't allow us to use mullet above 15cm for live bait. I find live mullet are better than yakkas for kings.

On several occasions I've actually gone out of my way to lug in some live mullet when I could have caught yakkas onsite. I find mullet are irresistible to kings. This I might add is going back 15 years or more.

Besides, what's the logic behind not allowing us to catch mullet above 15cm for live bait? I mean who even targets mullet for the table anyway? I don't really understand because personally I can't see it having any impact on mullet stocks if they just retain bag limits and do away with sizes in this case.

Got pulled up by fisheries late Friday night at Apple Tree Bay ramp for a quick chat. All in order and they were very friendly, even advised me that I should be wearing warmer clothing but couldn't help but think the resources could be better used elsewhere as I was the only one there and only 3 trailers in the car par. In saying that tho, there were 30-40 in there only 3 weeks back at the same time of night. The weather had turned most people off.

I have no issues with fisheries doing their job but would be good for them to target some of the notorious spot such as Avoca rocks etc.

Cheers

Caine

I am for fisheries doing their job, at Maimbar the girlfriend and I were pulled up by the fisheries, extremely polite, we kindly told them back we had not caught anything and that our nippers were stored in the car if they wanted to see if we had the right amount (200 as we both had licences) which they said it was ok. We only had 30 anyways, I play the rules of fishing.

Guest Aussie007

thing is once it hits dark car loads of people goto wallys wharf and take home anything they catch

Thanks for the Report.

I have been questioned a few times by the fisheries at wally's wharf and wonga Bay boat ramp, mostly when coming in. They, again,were very polite and werent too intrusive. Happy with the catch and moved onto a licence check of the land based anglers - who looked like most were hoping to make fish chowder.

I agree that we have to abide by the rules of the day though im wary of any greens dominated government department weilding stupidy over law abiding anglers.

Ryan

Thanks for the Report.

I have been questioned a few times by the fisheries at wally's wharf and wonga Bay boat ramp, mostly when coming in. They, again,were very polite and werent too intrusive. Happy with the catch and moved onto a licence check of the land based anglers - who looked like most were hoping to make fish chowder.

I agree that we have to abide by the rules of the day though im wary of any greens dominated government department weilding stupidy over law abiding anglers.

Ryan

Could not agree with you any more, nicely said.

Hi Raiders

With all the great weather today decided to have a family afternoon down at Wallys Wharf, Port Hacking.

I was down there having some fun with the kids doing a bit of squiding, not that I caught any. Hopefully have better luck next time. Water clarity is still very brown. During the afternoon the fisheries came down and checked everyone for licences and their catch. I was ok with my licence whereas the other people didn't hold licences and one man was caught with 15 undersize Mullet. There was plenty of Mullet there to be caught today but not of legal size, they have to be 15cm and under for live bait and kept alive with an air pump etc or over 30cm for eating.

Just thought I'd let anyone new to fishing know if catching Mullet to be very careful of the sizes as the fisheries do patrol the areas. It becomes a very expensive fishing trip if you are intending to only gather them for live bait (make sure you always have an air pump).

I had a great laugh today at how quickly people run when they see the fisheries and know they don't have a licence on them :lol::lol::lol:

I must say though, the fisheries were very polite today. They even commented on what a good selection of squid jigs I had, even though they don't get used that often.

Chris

haha, I remember gathering live yellow tail at captain cooks bridge when a fisheries boat came up to the wark, al 7 fishing rod and gear were left behind as people scramble off and one guy asked to borrow mine after they checked me, ha dont think so.

thing is once it hits dark car loads of people goto wallys wharf and take home anything they catch

tru that they should be there especially at gutamatta warf to!! i gave up fishing local warf because sick of seing people taking whatever they catch... sad sight :thumbdown:

Guest Aussie007

Does anyone really believe that people on wharves with hand held lines of any description are an issue?

depends if its a wharf being used by boaters often i think all fisherman on the wharf should give way to the boaters most of the time i see them casting out another line as im bringing my boat up to the wharf :thumbdown:

depends if its a wharf being used by boaters often i think all fisherman on the wharf should give way to the boaters most of the time i see them casting out another line as im bringing my boat up to the wharf :thumbdown:

Yeah I agree with you I had to go to the side because of 2 fisho's that decided to cast while I was getting ready to board the wharf. last week on friday].

Yes. Particularly public wharves & pontoons etc next to boat ramps. I was thinking more from a fishing perspective than this sort of thing. Add to that people who fish across a boat ramp - see this all too often at Berowra.