Advice needed purchase of fishing boat 40k

Ricdic

Hi guys,

Long time reader and first (or second) time poster. I love the site and hope to one day understand all the fishing terms you guys use when talking about baits, lures and basically everything.

My brother in law and I currently share ownership of a 14.5 foot tinny. Great little boat but it has some limitations most notably limited protection from the elements, a small motor and not overly comfortable.

I am looking (over the next year or two) to purchase a fishing vessel without the vices of the aforementioned Tinny. We aren't professional fishermen, we aren't even very good at fishing but we love getting out and having a go. We want to be able to go outside without having to battle our way back inside the second the weather turns. We want a boat we can take a few km offshore without any issues on a nice sunny day. The boat should have a small cabin of some sort where one can escape from the elements and have a lie down, although a half cabin with the ability to uncomfortably sleep a couple of men (separately) would be fantastic. The motor should be (or at least have the performance of) 130hp or more.

The boat should be able to comfortably seat 3-4 men and be very solid on the water in good to average conditions.

The boat should also be stable or suitable for mooring or keeping at a marina or jetty of some sort as we don't want to have to worry about towing it around any more. The ability to just catch a ride out to the boat when we want to go fishing seems incredibly convenient and mooring fees seem to be far cheaper than the fuel my commodore uses pulling the tinny 100km every week

The boat we choose would preferably be 18+ foot.

A giant plus would be a toilet and a kitchenette but I think this is out of our reach price/age wise.

I have had a look on a website and appear to be well out of my depth. I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at, and am shocked to see in some cases even tinnies are selling at 40k. I see a few vessels that suit my requirements however in some cases they are 20+ years old. Prior to my tinny purchase I had a 30 year old 14ft fibreglass boat and had nothing but problems with the old 70hp johnson and the body/electrics on the boat. While I know I cannot afford a new boat for 40k (within my required specs) I believe a boat under 10 years of age may be the way to go?

Any advice of information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to provide links or proper names to the vessels you are referring too so I can see them as I don't know the difference between this model and that without looking at them.

Thank you kindly for your time and all your advice and information (now, and on all the other forums sections)

Huey might be able to give you some options to think about in that price range. Also check out the sponsors thread in the top section for past specials he's advertised.

One thing to keep in mind when mooring boats is the costs of slipping and anti-fouling every year. Moored boats are a great breeding ground for barnacles, weed, algae and all sorts of interesting marine life that eats hulls, not to mention corrosion.

Ring a few local marina's and ask about the costs. I believe their usually charged by length/weight of the boat being slipped.

Good luck with the search. Just remember research is the key to making a decision your comfortable with!

The Sydney International boat show starts today (28/7/11) and runs through to monday (1/8/11)

Heading along might provide you with an answer / direction to head in, or confuse you even more with an information overload!

Huett marine have a display there and would be the guys to speak to not only are they site sponsors, they know boats.

Before you buy or got to look at any boats, write yourself a checklist on paper. Its easy to get overwhelmed and will help find the ultimate boat for you. If you go to the boat show, print off a number of these and fill one in and take a photo on your phone for each brand, style etc that catches your eye, so when you get home you can lay them all out and compare features, prices to narrow down your search.

In any case speak to Huey and he will be able to point you in the right direction for your budget. Details Here

Just some thoughts, Good luck in finding the ideal boat.

Have a look at the Quintrex Offshore's and ocean sport's you can pick up a mid 2000's model in the 30k 35k range,i sold my 01 6.1m offshore with all the bells and wistles 12 months ago for 31k, there a top boat! and have heaps of room.

Richard Have a look at the Webster 5.2mt cuddy cabin. There are several for sale online in your price range.

There is one there for $32k , 115hp Yammie with only 54 hours on the clock. There in another for $37k

It may not tick all the boxes but they are hard to go past for ride , stability & fishability.

If you decide to tow rather than storing at a marina , keep in mind the weight difference between aluminium & fiberglass.

Just on the marina aspect , there are places around like this place at Kurnell that may be worth checking out , handy to ramps & no need to cleen & paint twice a year

http://www.highndrys...s/location.html

Geoff