Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished Saturday outside the Port for a change. Trolled early morning near Jibbon Point for one large pike, which was returned, but no other bites. Drifted the bottom out past the bommie for a 45cm morwong, but no other decent bites, only small spiky flatties.

Then drifted south of the bommie hoping for some blue spot flatties, but only caught 2 around the 42cm mark for 3 hours of drifting. The place was alive with small spiky flatties in places, hooking up as soon as I hit bottom. Also some jackets about, and ended up with 11 of them. Not big ones, up to 37cm but all keepers. Fortunately they were spread out, so it was only one here and one there, if they could beat the spikies to the bait.

A bit of current heading south, even when the wind dropped for a while, I kept drifting south. Off Little Marley, I saw the only fish jumping, looked like a large salmon from the distance, cleared the water by about a metre. One visit from a black fur seal, which did not stay very long around the boat, and a couple of penguins squawking near the boat. Not much swell at all.

Yowie.

Good that you at least scored a few fish Yowie. :thumbup:

Did you have any problem holding bottom with the current moving fast?

I haven't bothered heading down that way for a while because the jackets killed us the last few trips. At least you caught a few of the little "line snippers".

Cheers

Peter

Good that you at least scored a few fish Yowie. :thumbup:

Did you have any problem holding bottom with the current moving fast?

I haven't bothered heading down that way for a while because the jackets killed us the last few trips. At least you caught a few of the little "line snippers".

Cheers

Peter

I needed a 6 ounce snapper sinker to hold the bottom with a bit of line out. A couple of times I did not feel any bites, and the baits looked as though some smaller jackets may have been chewing away. I used size 2 long shank hooks on wire traces. The smaller hooks and smaller baits I used for the jackets was probably the reason why I was hooking so many spiky flatties. Normally I use a bigger hook and bigger bait so that I have less chance of hooking the little spikies.

Yowie.