Alvey Questions

chriseels2010

Hi, I recently bought an Alvey 600BC for surf fishing for anything up to salmon. Now I have several questions about a suitable rod.

I'm probably going to get the Wilson 12 foot 6144. Does anyone know how it goes? Any other recommendations? Only looking to spend under $200! I'll run 12-15 pd line.

Lastly, I have tried to seat my alvey on a spinning rod just for fun and have noticed that it doesn't sit well. By this I mean that it looks like I do not have a black (plastic?) attachment that helps my alvey sit well.

post-16697-089306800 1312694149_thumb.jpg

Sorry to steal this image from another post but it does not look like I have the attachment between the reel seat and the alvey.

All that I have is the metal shown in this next photo and i find that this isn't very sturdy to say the least.

post-16697-082457600 1312694419_thumb.jpg

Am I worrying for nothing? Or is this black attachment something I need?

Chris,

Nothing to worry about my friend.

Just different reel seats

One is an Alvey with a drag knob in the centre which you have and the other has a lever for the drag like a game reel :biggrin2:

The wilson rod with low winch mount in 6 wrap 12 foot long would suit your reel just fine.

Cheers Stewy

Hi mate

Iv just recently started using Alvey reels and have taken a liking to them. The thing that appeals to me most is their simplicity, secondly it takes technique to use, and I enjoy the fact you need to think about winding line on evenly while using the reel, creates a bit more of a challenge... some times spin reels are just to easy to use.

The rod that 600BT is sitting on is a 6 wrap wilson 12 footer, but for me iv stepped down to a 9 footer with the same sort of action , and i prefer it because its more versatile, ie I can use it a bit more easily of a warf or any other scenario. But the 6 wrap wilson would definetly be the way to go for purley a surf situation. I picked mine up for about $145 online.

Iv also got a 45BC coming in the mail :) Bruce Alvey himself told me it would work fine on a 7ft spin stick, and i'm looking forward to using it.

Thanks for the help swordfisherman, I just tried putting the alvey on a rod and it's fine haha should double check

Yes the Alvey looks like a interesting challenge, I've never surf fished before and I'm excited!

I'll be getting the rod tonight with some 6kg platypus lo stretch line. Some ganged hooks aswell!

fishingphase, does the wilson have an "open runner" to help wind the line back on?

gotta love the alvey reels!

My tip is to be sure to take notice of the size of your swivels, all the alvey literature will show you what size to use to suit your line. the smaller, the better i have found.

been using alveys for a few years, and with the right size swivels, had no twist issues at all.

good luck mate.

gotta love the alvey reels!

My tip is to be sure to take notice of the size of your swivels, all the alvey literature will show you what size to use to suit your line. the smaller, the better i have found.

been using alveys for a few years, and with the right size swivels, had no twist issues at all.

good luck mate.

Very true words !!! Used my fist Alvey in 1980 very low maintenance reels. Not to fond of the new models with graphite frame as the old stainless model lock was working for me better .

Enjoy your new reel

Just got my rod in the mail, i'm very happy with it. A bit heavy but who cares

One question fishingphase, the both sections of the rod have different guides,

On the lower half it has a large metal (silver) guide and on the top half, there are standard black guides.

It's not like it makes a massive difference, but yeh, just looks weird, do yours come like this also?

Might take it out for a go later on today, just have to finish this assessment :wacko:

Just got my rod in the mail, i'm very happy with it. A bit heavy but who cares

One question fishingphase, the both sections of the rod have different guides,

On the lower half it has a large metal (silver) guide and on the top half, there are standard black guides.

It's not like it makes a massive difference, but yeh, just looks weird, do yours come like this also?

Might take it out for a go later on today, just have to finish this assessment :wacko:

Yes mate, mine is the same, that's how you can tell a rod is designed for an Alvey, there's a larger than normal guide half way up the rod...

Always wind the line on with some tension other wise you'll have casting problems.

I still have and use my 1st Alvey 650 A3 from when I started fishing in 1974. Paid for by selling fish I caught to pensioners at retirement village at Little Bay near where I lived then.....Jim