Another fuel consumption thread.

tareeterror

Hi, I have a 4.7 metre glass steber craft, around mid 80's model, it has a 140 hp. evinrude 1987 model on it, the motor never misses a beat, wot is around 5500rpm, very quick out off the mark, but Seems very heavy on fuel, at present looking around 1 litre per km, at cruising around 3700 rpm. any suggestions? was thinking maybe a different prop? current prop is 13 3/8 x 17 stainless.

Edited by tareeterror

1 litre per km, at cruising around 3700 rpm. .

I'm running a 2003 70hp Yammie & on average use 1lt / mile (1.6km) at similar rev's.

1lt / km for a 140hp of that age sounds about right.

I don't think a prop change will help but others with more knowledge in that area may be able to advise.

Geoff

I'm running a 2003 70hp Yammie & on average use 1lt / mile (1.6km) at similar rev's.

1lt / km for a 140hp of that age sounds about right.

I don't think a prop change will help but others with more knowledge in that area may be able to advise.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,so long as it seems ok then I am happy, was thinking maybe a prop where its bit slower out of the whole might save bit of fuel, happy to sacrafise top end speed. or find someone who has a smaller motor to swap, lol.

Hi, worse thing you can do for any outboard of any brand or technology is lug that engine and your RPM is good now if that is with normal load. You are getting what old tech engines see in temrs of fuel consumption and the cost to go to another SST prop would not be worth it and you have to remember back in the 1980's there was no such thing as the EPA and fuel was cheap. My advise is keep her in the correct state of tune, I would de carb her if it was my engine and use as a min XD-50 oil and save your pennies and fit a clean tech engine and if you buy right you can half you fuel usage but not lose any performance.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi, worse thing you can do for any outboard of any brand or technology is lug that engine and your RPM is good now if that is with normal load. You are getting what old tech engines see in temrs of fuel consumption and the cost to go to another SST prop would not be worth it and you have to remember back in the 1980's there was no such thing as the EPA and fuel was cheap. My advise is keep her in the correct state of tune, I would de carb her if it was my engine and use as a min XD-50 oil and save your pennies and fit a clean tech engine and if you buy right you can half you fuel usage but not lose any performance.

Cheers,

Huey.

Which carbies do I look for Huey? off which hp? I will leave her as she in as your reply has helped a lot, I do use a gvood oil, super outboard plus from castrol. I would love to upgrade engine but being on workers comp doesnt allow me to do more than drool over a new Etech. :ranting2: thankyou for your help.

Hi, what I mean by de carb the engine is to remove the carbon that years of use with inferior oils can produce. You buy the product that we sell, you get the engine to operating temp and then spray in the throat of the carbies and let soak over night and then go for a good hard run in the water. This chemically cleans the ring grooves and I would only use XD-50 in that engine and I do hope you have the correct plugs.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, what I mean by de carb the engine is to remove the carbon that years of use with inferior oils can produce. You buy the product that we sell, you get the engine to operating temp and then spray in the throat of the carbies and let soak over night and then go for a good hard run in the water. This chemically cleans the ring grooves and I would only use XD-50 in that engine and I do hope you have the correct plugs.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, Whats so good about xd50? what does it do compared to other good quality oil? also what are the correct plugs? I use ngk, cant remember the number but were recommended by my local shop, also what is the brand of carbon remover? thanks.