Leader necessary?

clemsy

Hi,

I am starting to learn the art of SP and I just spooled on some braid. I was reading through the forums and noticed a lot of people using mono leaders when using braid line. So I was wandering do I need a mono leader on braid line when using SP?

Thanks!

Simple answer is yes, you will need some sort of leader with your braid.

There are some exceptions but 98% of the time that is the way.

Whether you use flourocarbon or mono leader is the biggest question.

Flouro for less visibility, less stretch & it sinks, or mono for more stretch & it has more floatation.

It's a big can of worms & whole lot of learning you will need to do but for your general light tackle s.p fishing for bream, bass, flatties & whiting use a light flouro leader tied to your braid.

Use the search tool on the top right of the page to find all the info you need on leaders & knots.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

Simple answer is yes, you will need some sort of leader with your braid.

There are some exceptions but 98% of the time that is the way.

Whether you use flourocarbon or mono leader is the biggest question.

Flouro for less visibility, less stretch & it sinks, or mono for more stretch & it has more floatation.

It's a big can of worms & whole lot of learning you will need to do but for your general light tackle s.p fishing for bream, bass, flatties & whiting use a light flouro leader tied to your braid.

Use the search tool on the top right of the page to find all the info you need on leaders & knots.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thats a top reply mate!

As for what leader the new Berkley sense is good for its price but leaders like sunline fc rock are great but a little more expensive

I mainly use use between 2lb and 4lb leader for bream and 6lb for flatties but i have landed a couple of flatties up around the 70cm mark with 2lb pretty easily you just have to be patient

Are Berkley Vanish, Sense and Fireline considered flure line or braid? I'm a little confused haha.

I might use mono for the leader as I have been reading that the fluro's knot strength isn't too good. I'm not too sure.

Are Berkley Vanish, Sense and Fireline considered flure line or braid? I'm a little confused haha.

I might use mono for the leader as I have been reading that the fluro's knot strength isn't too good. I'm not too sure.

Fireline is a fused braid

Vanish is fluro and Sense is fluro too but its alot better than the Vanish and i have never had problems with knots so i wouldnt worry too much about that

Pete

Okay, thanks mate! Hopefully after this wet weather patch I can go and give it a go!

Oh, also I forgot to ask, are the knots for fluro the same as mono? Or will I have to learn a new set (like braid)?

Edited by clemzii

Okay, thanks mate! Hopefully after this wet weather patch I can go and give it a go!

Oh, also I forgot to ask, are the knots for fluro the same as mono? Or will I have to learn a new set (like braid)?

i use an "improved Albright" to join the braid to leader and a normal blood knot from the leadder to jighead i just chuck a couple of more turns into the knot so it will not slip

Hope that helps

Pete

Mate I use vanish fluro for all my leaders, it hasn't let me down once. I tie an albright knot to join my fluro to the braid and a blood knot or a loop knot to my jig head or hardbody lure. I have been using another knot in my lighter rods.(bream stick with 4lb braid, 4lb leader) it's called a slim beauty knot and helps with casting. Its pretty good to. Ohh and if ur wondering why you need leader its to give you that bit of shock absorbtion that you need cos braid has no strech!! Happy fishing!!

as others have said - yes a leader is the way to go.

as for the fluro vs mono debate. i think mono all the way.

Sure on paper fluro has its advantages, but in my opinion its just a way "they" get you to spend more money. Mono does the job just as good and better in some situations. (and did i mention its cheaper)

The only thing id say is, if your lazy then choose fluro cuz if you have a mono leader it will need changing often as mono degrades faster over time.

as for knots - learn to tie a double in the braid. i use the aussie plait (also called aussie braid knot).

super strong and quite easy to tie. Wont need replacing. just remember this tip when : "always go outside in"

the double to leader knot i use is "ted donelan's leader knot"

awesome knot. super slim and easy to tie. also can be picked apart so you can change over the leader

best of luck

Thanks for all your reply guys!

Well I've tied the mono backing to braid using Albright knot and the mono leader(cause I have heaps left over, save some money first haha) to braid with Albright again. Will the Albright knot be alright? I've found that it won't work on my super tip rod. I might try slim beauty next time?