sharp knife

rubberman

i bought a fairly expensive filletting knife but cant seem to keep a sharp edge.any sharpening tools or techniques would be welcomed

yes mate I suggest if you have any friends who are butchers to have a look at it for you the quality stone you use is important also if your stone is rubish then your wasting your time everyone knows a butcher somewhere show them and they might show you a tip or 2 a new knife should be easy to sharp if your having problems it might be the way you are going about it..

Mate im a chef of 13 yrs and my knives are my livelyhood .i use a diamond steel for touch ups during the day & 2 stones 1 normal,1 ceramic for finishing them on weekends .

ive even had the intire blades thinned a bit on a standing belt sander my uncle has (hes was a boner,now a grader ).most my knives ive had for approx 12yrs there pretty much

the same as when i bought them but they werent cheap there dropforged fron germany $$$ a little paring knife starts at about 100 bucks . there not stainless steel there cromolybendium.

If you go to a king of knives or similar shop u should be able to find 1 that you draw the knife through ,there quick & give a decnt edge.sharp enougth for most filleting and skinning