Big girl saves the day

jenno64

Headed out in the Georges this morning in my kayak. Plan was to fish the last hour or so of the run out with a variety of lures. Tried all my deep and shallow spots for zip and HBs, SPs and blades weren't cutting it. Only action I saw was a big tailor or salmon chasing a mullet right past the bow. Trolling on the flats near a drop off, I picked up a couple of little herring and thought.....mmm nice livie so onto my biggest rig one went and I trolled it just through a nice deep hole where i have scored some good flatties in the past. Right as I past through the deepest of the hole, a violent bend in the rod and some screaming drag. Pedalled out away from the boats and moorings and began to bring the fish in. After a short fight, she came up and I netted her. Pedalled onto a nearby sandflat and took a couple of quick snaps on the brag mat...she went just over 78cm, then off she went back to the depths. Only decent fish of the day but a good way to kick off the flatty season!!

post-4017-077822300 1316658445_thumb.jpg

post-4017-099836300 1316658458_thumb.jpg

post-4017-061015800 1316658513_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenno64

Well done mate, she was a beauty! I wonder if she was well conditioned or ready to spawn? Like you I am very much a release person (if I actually catch something), as a fellow fisher I congratulate you!

I still haven't taken my yak out in the salt yet, actually the boat hasn't been out in hacking, botany or georges for a very long time.

Good karma and tight lines.

Regards,

Rob

Headed out in the Georges this morning in my kayak. Plan was to fish the last hour or so of the run out with a variety of lures. Tried all my deep and shallow spots for zip and HBs, SPs and blades weren't cutting it. Only action I saw was a big tailor or salmon chasing a mullet right past the bow. Trolling on the flats near a drop off, I picked up a couple of little herring and thought.....mmm nice livie so onto my biggest rig one went and I trolled it just through a nice deep hole where i have scored some good flatties in the past. Right as I past through the deepest of the hole, a violent bend in the rod and some screaming drag. Pedalled out away from the boats and moorings and began to bring the fish in. After a short fight, she came up and I netted her. Pedalled onto a nearby sandflat and took a couple of quick snaps on the brag mat...she went just over 78cm, then off she went back to the depths. Only decent fish of the day but a good way to kick off the flatty season!!

good to see big flaty we need to see big jwie

chers castwide