Need help for cunji

Blueachilles

I went rock fishing last weekend but completely beaten by the old man beside me. 2 pigs and 1 big groper in 1 hour!

he was using cunji and I was using prawn. Just wonder where I can find cunji near kurnell or somewhere else? Can anyone give me a clue please?

Thanks and tight line! :thumbup:

I went rock fishing last weekend but completely beaten by the old man beside me. 2 pigs and 1 big groper in 1 hour!

he was using cunji and I was using prawn. Just wonder where I can find cunji near kurnell or somewhere else? Can anyone give me a clue please?

Thanks and tight line! :thumbup:

Hi Mate-

I have not seen to much cunjevoi on the southern side of botany but there is plenty avaiable on the rocks off Bare Island and also on the edges of the male nudist beach next to Bare Island.

If you have access to a boat there are tons of the stuff hanging off all the markers and drums in Botany.

Hope this helps.

Trung

Hi Mate-

I have not seen to much cunjevoi on the southern side of botany but there is plenty avaiable on the rocks off Bare Island and also on the edges of the male nudist beach next to Bare Island.

If you have access to a boat there are tons of the stuff hanging off all the markers and drums in Botany.

Hope this helps.

Trung

Thank you very much mate! can't afford a boat now, hopefully can get a kayak soon. will go to bare island to have a look! :thumbup:

Mate on that occasion he may of caught more fish but i dont think it would be bait selection.

Pigs love pealed prawns but you need to berly hard with bread and fish as light as you can. I use 20lb mono but i find the absolute smallest sinker possible is the trick. when you feel it begin to settle on the bottom lift he rod tip and let it slowly sink again.

Gropper are another story they will take cunji but their favourate is red crab. That will out fish any bait anytime. Again the lightest sinker you can get away with is best.

Just my thoughts. Stay safe if you go looking for cunji it grows low down and is not that easy to cut off the rock.

Cheers

Kingpig

Thank you very much boattart, it’s at my front door :biggrin2:

Thanks for the advice Kingpig, the thing made me upset is I did exactly what you mentioned. 20lb mono, 00 ball sinker, the old master was less than 1 metre by my side. The only difference I can notice is I was using banana prawn and he was using bloody fresh cunji, we didn’t berly but he put on a lot of bait. I’ve been fishing the same spot for a while and got some pigs and gropers. Like BCF staff said when prawn and cunji both in the water fish will go for cunji. I saw many red crabs at bundeena but not on kurnell side, they all black. I will try with different bait again and hopefully can report something later.

:1fishing1:

The "Groynes" are those man made structures made of large boulders

that stretch out in to the bay from Prince charles parade.

There are about 12 of them, you can find cunji on the ends at low tide.

Not a bad place to fish with the kids if you are cereful negotiating the boulders.

Grandad

• 4 weeks later...

If you have more time, go up north, there will be plenty of cunje along the north coast. You can mix them with sugar and salt, freeze them and they will last for a month. I don't use cunje as those pickers will take it before groper n drummer see it. Cooked prawns work well in my area, Nobby Head.

Hi,

With cunji-

1. Watch out for eels!

2. Only take as much as you need.

3. If you can gather it where you're fishing, the opened cunji heads in the water will act as a burley while you fish the adjacent holes and washes on the rising tide.

4. You'll also find red bait crabs in the cunji beds too.

Good luck, pigs are great sport and really good table fish too.

KB