Friday, Saturday

chewie

I snuck out for a fish the last 2 days. Friday on Botany bay, and Today on the harbour.

Fridays main purpose was to target Blue swimmers and flick around some plastics.

We managed a few Flatties, Flounder and trevs and interestingly, we managed 4 crabs all of which were female with a belly full of eggs so we released them.

At about 4 we got absolutely smashed by the 40knot winds and it was fun crossing the bay back to the ramp but made it very hard to collect the traps.

Today we fished for a feed of whiting. We did well landing 9 with some nice big 41cm models thrown in. we also tangled with a few keeper bream and another pregnant blue swimmer.

We all came home with a nice feed. Its pretty cool how round the whiting is compared to the Powerade bottle.

post-17369-015301900 1316850914_thumb.jpg

post-17369-008639600 1316850965_thumb.jpg

Chewie

Hi,

Is it illegal to have female crabs?

Cheers, Phil

Hey there Phil,

It's illegal to keep a female crab that has eggs.

To answer your next question, when you turn the female upside down, you can clearly see a whole bunch of small orange/brown eggs protruding.

Female blue swimmers are generally more brown in colour, so it's easy to tell them apart.

As far as keeping females without eggs . . . . well, I guess it's like keeping big flathead. You know for fact that you are killing breeding stock if you do keep them. Depends if you listen to your conscience, I guess.

Hi,

Is it illegal to have female crabs?

Cheers, Phil

Return them if they have eggs. This is very noticeable & very easy to check.

Conscience does not come into it - if they are not full of eggs you can keep them. Just comply with the size & bag limits.