Exploring a local creek to avoid the crowds

I didn't feel like battling the long weekend crowds in the boat, so decided to take a walk down the local creek in search of a bass or estuary perch. I’ve not fished the area before, and have not heard of any fish being caught in the area. However, the area looked good on Google Maps and I saw no reason why either species shouldn’t be found there.

The track leading down the creek meets the creek at the upper tidal limit and the water is quite brackish. I was surprised to see several feeding luderick and a school of trevally when I arrived. A couple of casts saw one silver trevally hooked and lost at the bank. The luderick, not surprisingly, weren’t interested in my plastic offering and continued grazing on the weed covered rocks.

A couple hundred metres upstream the creek starts to rise through some shallow cascading areas. There are some nice pools every couple of hundred metres or so.

Due to other commitments, I was fishing in the middle of the day, so was not expecting much on the bass / EP front other than to explore some new ground. As such, I only took with me my little pack rod and two small plastic lures. (A 3” Squidgy in bloodworm and a cheap plastic/spinner sample I imported from China)

The first pool had what looked like bass or estuary perch in it, but there was no way through the trees to get a cast in. I eventually ploughed my way through but scared the fish when they saw me.

The next pool was similar, I could see fish in the shallows (They were sitting over rocks in about two feet of crystal clear water). I couldn’t get through. A little further up at the head of the pool, I was able to walk into the middle of the creek and setup out of sight on a rock.

There were heavy trees on both sides and I had about a two feet window with which to make a cast. I could cast about 30 feet if I got it straight.

First cast got smashed and I landed a bass of about 35-40cm. It was a pretty scraggy looking fish with a nasty ulcer and half it’s tail missing. Was a great fight in the shallow water though. I let him go just before a couple of bush walkers arrived. They ignored me and I had a chuckle as I heard them laughing about me wasting my time as they walked past.

post-19557-015090100 1317544955_thumb.jpg

Next cast to the same spot and I was on again. This time I was smoked on a mid-creek snag. Fish and lure lost.

I tied on my other lure (my Chinese special) and had two more casts for no action.

I turned around (on the same rock) and was able to cast into the pool above where I was standing. This pool was about forty feet long, twenty feet wide, with shallow rocks and snags throughout. There was heavy tree cover surrounding. First cast got smacked and I landed another bass. This was a much better looking fish.

post-19557-000490500 1317544997_thumb.jpg

post-19557-086357300 1317545057_thumb.jpg

I let him go, cast out again and got smashed again. This time I didn't hookup. I cast out a third time and was on again. The fish ran sideways and rubbed me out on some rocks.

Within ten minutes, I had two fish landed, one fish missed, two bust ups and had lost both my lures. I turned around and walked on home. I can't wait to get back down there with a few more lures and digital SLR camera next time. It's only a small creek but there are still many pools I am yet to hit. The pics were taken on my phone so aren't the best quality.

Edited by lure-n-fly

I didn't feel like battling the long weekend crowds in the boat, so decided to take a walk down the local creek in search of a bass or estuary perch. I've not fished the area before, and have not heard of any fish being caught in the area. However, the area looked good on Google Maps and I saw no reason why either species shouldn't be found there.

The track leading down the creek meets the creek at the upper tidal limit and the water is quite brackish. I was surprised to see several feeding luderick and a school of trevally when I arrived. A couple of casts saw one silver trevally hooked and lost at the bank. The luderick, not surprisingly, weren't interested in my plastic offering and continued grazing on the weed covered rocks.

A couple hundred metres upstream the creek starts to rise through some shallow cascading areas. There are some nice pools every couple of hundred metres or so.

Due to other commitments, I was fishing in the middle of the day, so was not expecting much on the bass / EP front other than to explore some new ground. As such, I only took with me my little pack rod and two small plastic lures. (A 3" Squidgy in bloodworm and a cheap plastic/spinner sample I imported from China)

The first pool had what looked like bass or estuary perch in it, but there was no way through the trees to get a cast in. I eventually ploughed my way through but scared the fish when they saw me.

The next pool was similar, I could see fish in the shallows (They were sitting over rocks in about two feet of crystal clear water). I couldn't get through. A little further up at the head of the pool, I was able to walk into the middle of the creek and setup out of sight on a rock.

There were heavy trees on both sides and I had about a two feet window with which to make a cast. I could cast about 30 feet if I got it straight.

First cast got smashed and I landed an Estuary Perch of about 35-40cm. It was a pretty scraggy looking fish with a nasty ulcer and half it's tail missing. Was a great fight in the shallow water though. I let him go just before a couple of bush walkers arrived. They ignored me and I had a chuckle as I heard them laughing about me wasting my time as they walked past.

post-19557-015090100 1317544955_thumb.jpg

Next cast to the same spot and I was on again. This time I was smoked on a mid-creek snag. Fish and lure lost.

I tied on my other lure (my Chinese special) and had two more casts for no action.

I turned around (on the same rock) and was able to cast into the pool above where I was standing. This pool was about forty feet long, twenty feet wide, with shallow rocks and snags throughout. There was heavy tree cover surrounding. First cast got smacked and I landed another estuary perch. This was a much better looking fish.

post-19557-000490500 1317544997_thumb.jpg

post-19557-086357300 1317545057_thumb.jpg

I let him go, cast out again and got smashed again. This time I didn't hookup. I cast out a third time and was on again. The fish ran sideways and rubbed me out on some rocks.

Within ten minutes, I had two fish landed, one fish missed, two bust ups and had lost both my lures. I turned around and walked on home. I can't wait to get back down there with a few more lures and digital SLR camera next time. It's only a small creek but there are still many pools I am yet to hit. The pics were taken on my phone so aren't the best quality.

Hey mate -

Great first post and report!

I wish i had a local creek that hold fish like that.. i would be fishing every afternoon if i were you.

Well done!

Cheers

Trung

You rock mate,

never a bad reason to explore- maybe 50% nothing great, but that feeling when you find something new- it makes up for all the arguing with the missus, then hard work hiking into the place, and then the elation when you hook something nice makes up for all of it. Well done mate

Some great looking fish mate, Well done.

There is nothing like targeting fish in skinny water, and to have such success on your first venture is gold. Can't wait to get back home and don the hiking boots myself.

Great first post. Keep em coming.

Great first report and welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing and showing that there's still some fun to be had in the hidden corners of suburbia! Gee in that sort of country you would'nt want to lose too many expensive lures!