Collecting Weed/Cabbage

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey raiders,

Just after a bit of help, does anyone know where I could collect some weed/cabbage around the Georges river for Luderick ? Me and a mate are keen to head out this afternoon for a session but we are not to familiar with the areas to collect some green weed!! I've tried using live blood worms before but only managed 1 fish. So the area I'm fishing I know holds Luderick I just need some green weed to bag a few. I know people go out and have awesome sessions on these fish using weed so any help would be much appreciated raiders.

P.s: I only intend on taking enough for 1 session to see if we are able to bag some fish. Also anyone who is keen for a fish this Arvo is most welcome to come along we will be fishing land based around the Georges River National park this afternoon.

Cheers raiders,

Jez

try cabbage from rocks around Botany which gets waves, but have caution as waves do come and go, wear the metal cleats, aswell as be mindful, watch the pro's, or bring a pro, when going around rocks, do not take your eyes off the waves either.

Edited by Rafinx

Still good info :) Didnt get out yesterday arvo cause the weather turned at around 2-3pm so i decided to cancel the trip. Gives me more time now to figure out where to collect weed and hopefully get some more info.

Also how would i go about collecting it and what should I be looking for, I have never done this sort of thing so I really dont know where to start. I know the rig with the pencil float and split shots just collecting of bait is the mission.

Thanks mate,

jez

See you would prob be better off talking to the pro black fisho's as I have never personally tried it for myself. But Ive heard of some creating large metal treble hooks (grabble hooks) on a rope and throw it in the creek, to obtain the larger longer strands of grass, when I helped my brother we just picked the tiny strands off the mangrove roots.

no ts not actually its an old thing that the old boys would alway keep quiet where they got it but when its hard to get its hard to get and they will come from Yamba to that creek for a small handful when the fish are on! Theres also the issue if it does and its scarce the pros can clean a creek ou in 48 hours to sell the stuff! Seen it happen! But been light hearted here most blackfisherman are a cagey lot just ask the guys that fish with me!!!!!

no ts not actually its an old thing that the old boys would alway keep quiet where they got it but when its hard to get its hard to get and they will come from Yamba to that creek for a small handful when the fish are on! Theres also the issue if it does and its scarce the pros can clean a creek ou in 48 hours to sell the stuff! Seen it happen!

Funny you say that, went to a tackle shop a Narrabeen and one at pennant hills to buy some weed, both told me they won't have any this year. The guy at Narrabeen said the council chlorinated the weed away with all the work that's going on there?? Not sure how true it is but we couldn't find any. The other guy just said no bait mob are doing any this year. The guy at Narrabeen wasn't happy and gave us his little rant about it so I have to think he's telling the truth. He use to collect it and sell it (I think) cause it use to be fresh in tanks. I used to laugh thinking what moron would pay for weed? Funny now I'm becoming that moron! Anyways it seems a little short of supply.

Up yur way the majority of the weed is collected off the rock platforms and the rocks where the beaches end in the corners! Don't buy it for crying out loud how far are you wiling to travel and how far are you willingto travel for a fish to get on to a good one. Mate another reason I keep a lot quiet is that I don;t drive I take the ferry and the bus etc so I need to keep a few things close to my chest a couple of places tha are well published here were those places!!!!!! These days I share a lot more by PM you can aska few raiders if your after some bait let me know and if your after a spot thats producing I can put you on to one of those as well. Fire me a PM and we will see what the memory bank churns out!!!!!

Haha no I'm not pumping for info, I'm a very novice and green blackfisherman (I landed my first today!)

I'm more into canvasing my own spots for various targets, it's half of the fun!!

However I have learnt more about fishing in general since joining this site than I have my whole life. When I need info, it's generally on here, you just have to look.

Edited by Onajewagain

Mate just putting the offer out there when I was being taught blackfishing was like akin to being in the Masons! Oh and I bee nround long enough to know when the pump is on or not as far as getting a spot out of me goes! But I say god on you for getting into blackfishing it was a dyingart 10 years ago now its resurfaced and its good to see except forsome of the gear!!!!! ahahahah

Rafinx,

all cool mate no apology needed (would you like to sign up to our secret society!!!!!) certain times of the year it grows like crazy and at tothers it becomne sscarce the creek mention has only been bare once so fsr this year touch wood. The best advice to raiders to locate weed or cabbage is use a Gregorys Street guide or google and look where creeks and drain enter a river or bay have tidal flow and a near a park! and at times it will grow on the silt deposited onthe rocks in the rivers like now!

Otherwise check your local beach wher e it meets the rocks or the local blackfish ledge seas permitting ocean swimming pools are another good scource as long as the council does not burn it off with copper sulphate or chlorine!

Rafinx,

all cool mate no apology needed (would you like to sign up to our secret society!!!!!) certain times of the year it grows like crazy and at tothers it becomne sscarce the creek mention has only been bare once so fsr this year touch wood. The best advice to raiders to locate weed or cabbage is use a Gregorys Street guide or google and look where creeks and drain enter a river or bay have tidal flow and a near a park! and at times it will grow on the silt deposited onthe rocks in the rivers like now!

Otherwise check your local beach wher e it meets the rocks or the local blackfish ledge seas permitting ocean swimming pools are another good scource as long as the council does not burn it off with copper sulphate or chlorine!

Mate ive most certainly got the rods for it, its when will time let me have a go. I would like to try as Ive never caught one, even my missus caught one off a peeled prawn lol.

• 5 years later...
On 08/10/2011 at 8:25 AM, luderick -angler said:

There are some things a blackfisherman keeps quiet and sends by PM this is one such thing!!!!!

Hi mate 

i am a rock fisherman mostly fishing around bondi but occasionally near brighton sands. is there any location around brighton where i can collect some cabbage weed for luderick. would appreciate a lot if u can pm me if there is any known location for this special weed. Greatly appreciate any help.

cheers

Hi guys

Nth Wollongong Beach walk south there was decent outcrops of both Cabbage and Ribbon. Look it up on google, you'll find it

That was about ?8 weeks ago 

Major P off I didnt have any gear.

JD

Edit

MUST BE LOW TIDE LOW SWELL

Edited by Johndory
ADVICE

would weed from freshwater work? i saw so much at the city next to the berangaroo project on a wall that has water leaking from it. on the wall it was the stringy stuff and on the floor there was the cabbage stuff