Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished near the mouth of Yowie Bay early this morning for the one jewie, measured a fraction under 90cm and weighed 13 pound, or about 6 kilos. Bait was a strip of squid on a 15 pound handline, and it took quite a bit of line on the first run. Managed one legal reddie which was returned as I had enough with the jewie, but not many other bites, so headed home early.

When I returned to the boatshed, the old pelican was waiting as usual for a feed, and even he looked impressed. He is tame enough to hand feed on occasions.

Yowie.

post-13153-009263800 1318505050_thumb.jpg

Wow a pic from Yowie. Can't recall ever seeing a pic from your reports :biggrin2: Well done. Are those red marks near the tail, haemorage/fungal or just the pic?

Yes, a picture from me, from the phone. Don't hold your breath waiting for the next one. :074:

The red marks happened just after death, maybe because he was curled around in the fish box.

Yowie.

Hey Yowie,

What a lovely Jewie.

So you gave it to the pelican ?

Man that bird would never have gotten off the ground after gulleting that fish....

Perhaps you could have just fed it the head ?

I know I know you just gave it the bits we don't eat but you didn't actually say that.

I'm just in a stupid mood so I have to get it off my chest....

That fish would have given you some line burn, that's for sure.

Well done - Chris (Pongrass 18ft) would be hatching his plan to assault them jewies right now !

Tony

Hey Yowie,

What a lovely Jewie.

So you gave it to the pelican ?

Man that bird would never have gotten off the ground after gulleting that fish....

Perhaps you could have just fed it the head ?

I know I know you just gave it the bits we don't eat but you didn't actually say that.

I'm just in a stupid mood so I have to get it off my chest....

That fish would have given you some line burn, that's for sure.

Well done - Chris (Pongrass 18ft) would be hatching his plan to assault them jewies right now !

Tony

The big pelican is actually fairly good as opposed to the normal greedy bastards. When the others turn up (I have had as many as 14 around at the one time) he tries to scare them off, as he probably thinks it is his area. If he is quick enough, he will grab another pelican around the head with his beak and wrestle it to the ground until it backs off.

Around the head of the jewie are a couple of chunky pieces of meat, so I cut the chunks off and threw them to the pelican. The pelican usually walks up the ramp and stands a few feet away from me waiting for it's feed of scraps. Well, he did not like the big chunks, so he threw them back to me so they landed near me and just looked at me. He actually flicked them out of his bottom beak. I picked up the chunks and cut them into smaller pieces and threw them back to him, and he ate them. What a fussy bastard!

Dave.

Nice jew Yowie....in the deep ?

Was anchored along the drop-off, but threw the bait into the deep water.

As you probably know, the jewies cruise the deeper water, however, I have caught the odd one at night feeding on the surface like tailor. I have heard them attacking the mullet schools at night during autumn. You can hear the mullet jumping, then there is a big slap on the surface as the jewie goes crashing through the school of mullet.