Outboard Issues

samboy

Gday Raiders,

Just thought I'd ask about an issue with our 25hp 1978 Evinrude before taking it to the shop. We have used it flawlessly all winter and before that but went to go start it on Saturday and it wouldn't even start. I know there is charge in the spark plugs because my mate held them (by the rubber) thinking they wouldnt shock him when i pulled but they did :074: and i went to start it up again in the bucket and it backfired. Is there much chance its the fuel, because that fuel hasn't been used in 2 weeks or so. Surely thats not too long to leave fuel, is it? Any other tips or tricks would be handy too :D Dont know heaps about outboards btw

Cheers guys

Sam

sam sounds like fuel issue take plugs out and clean them ,then try and start no choke full throttle and i think she will go,cheers let us know how you go.

Cheers mate, really appreciate the reply. Will let you know! :thumbup:

how much did you prime it??? I normally dont prime my outboard unless it has not been started in a while, It sounds like it was flooded to me also, as allready mentioned give the plugs a clean and try again and make sure the vent is open on the fuel tank,

Also I would not prime it at all as there should still be some fuel in the carby,

Regards,

Nathan

Hey guys, changed the spark plugs this morning with fresh ones. And it started first pull!!!!! :biggrin2::yahoo::thumbup: HAPPY DAYS!

One more query though the part marked in the picture was not attatched when i opened the hood on the weekend so i plugged them together thinking this was the problem lol. What is this and does it need to be plugged in or not?

Appreciate everyones' thanks so much!

Sam

post-15444-047391600 1318809764_thumb.jpg

Although its running now (that harness plug would have definitely been the culprit) on these older OMC engines that are fitted with electric start the cam that operates the neutral switch (stops it starting in gear) gets worn. So the gear level has to be in just the right spot to get them to fire up or it can get stuck in the cut-out position and not start no matter what your do (a gentle poke at the switch knob with a small screwdriver will free it up).

The switch sits at the top of a vertical shaft near and above/behind the gear lever. With the engine off and cover removed you can see and hear it click in and out as the shift is moved. So if one day one of these little beasies doesn't fire off like it used to, wobble the gear shift back and forth a few times and try again (btw, on manual start models the lock out is mechanical and stops the rope being pulled). I have the electric start 1982 35HP version on our old runabout which is basically the same as your engine.

Although its running now (that harness plug would have definitely been the culprit) on these older OMC engines that are fitted with electric start the cam that operates the neutral switch (stops it starting in gear) gets worn. So the gear level has to be in just the right spot to get them to fire up or it can get stuck in the cut-out position and not start no matter what your do (a gentle poke at the switch knob with a small screwdriver will free it up).

The switch sits at the top of a vertical shaft near and above/behind the gear lever. With the engine off and cover removed you can see and hear it click in and out as the shift is moved. So if one day one of these little beasies doesn't fire off like it used to, wobble the gear shift back and forth a few times and try again (btw, on manual start models the lock out is mechanical and stops the rope being pulled). I have the electric start 1982 35HP version on our old runabout which is basically the same as your engine.

Interesting you mention the thing that stops it starting in gear, I've started the motor in gear once or twice by accident. Ours is a manual start too btw not electric i dont know what the picture is but i just got the picture off the net.

Hi, that is a photo of an old 9.9HP or 15HP so lets not worry about that photo-has nothing to do with your 25HP, but if the amphenol plug you are pointing to is loose or corroded that will be a problem that would not allow an engine to start. Make sure all the connectors are tight and clean on that old girl and you will be heading in the right direction.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, that is a photo of an old 9.9HP or 15HP so lets not worry about that photo-has nothing to do with your 25HP, but if the amphenol plug you are pointing to is loose or corroded that will be a problem that would not allow an engine to start. Make sure all the connectors are tight and clean on that old girl and you will be heading in the right direction.

Cheers,

Huey.

Cheers Huey thanks for the tip!

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd pick your brains again for some advice. Our outboard started quite nicely on Saturday thanks to some sound advice from all of you. In Neutral she sounded clean and strong however when we put it in forward we couldnt go much faster than about 5-6 knots for the beginning of the day, until about midday when we started her up again and on full throttle it started to go hard then slow down again then go hard for awhile. What the heck is going on?

Any suggestions are more than welcome :D :D

Cheers

Sam

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd pick your brains again for some advice. Our outboard started quite nicely on Saturday thanks to some sound advice from all of you. In Neutral she sounded clean and strong however when we put it in forward we couldnt go much faster than about 5-6 knots for the beginning of the day, until about midday when we started her up again and on full throttle it started to go hard then slow down again then go hard for awhile. What the heck is going on?

Any suggestions are more than welcome :D :D

Cheers

Sam

Fuel tank breather open? not blocked? fuel pump diaphram may be worn out.fuel pump also has a screen in them which may need a clean.