Killer Caught

Day's Fishin

Hi Raiders, just thought some of you may be interested in a little bit of trouble I had during the week!

Walking up to feed the chickens I could see a lot of feathers stuck to the enclosure wire. As I got closer the carnage was unfolded.

There was dead chickens laying everywhere. Only one black hen was alive. 9 dead hens and 2 dead roosters with 1 hen missing.

Looking around the outside of the enclosure I found where the killer had entered to carry out his killerfest!:ranting2:

This happened to me about 18 years ago as well.

The Killer gets in and kills the lot then takes 1 back to its lair. The idea being that if he kills them all they will be there each night he returns for an easy meal.

I removed all the dead chickens and the 1 live one.

Put 1 dead chicken in the trap and placed it in the gateway.

As predicted he returned that night for an easy meal but got more then he was expecting.

I don't think he will be eating anymore of my chickens! :thumbup:

Luckily I had another hen with 6 babies in another enclosure and another rooster that was locked up by himself to restock my egg producers.

Regards Jeff

post-5857-060237600 1319666647_thumb.jpg

post-5857-056962100 1319666711_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain Jeff, I too have hens (council only allows us to have max 5)& whilst we live in suburbia I've been told in no uncertain terms that foxes are everywhere you just dont see them much (cunning bastards), whilst I didn't raise them from chicks, they were 16 weeks young, as they grow, you certainly do get attached to them as do the kids !! & when they finally lay that first egg it feels like you've had another baby, they certainly become part of the family, my kids would be devastated to witness the scene that you would have,when I was making my coop they suggest that you put wire in the ground to stop this sort of thing happening, I haven't but I do have a pedigree fox terrier that could earn his stripes, perhaps a buriel at sea is in order, could be a memorable fishing trip.

What was Reynards fate ??

Regards

Rod

Hi Raiders, just thought some of you may be interested in a little bit of trouble I had during the week!

Walking up to feed the chickens I could see a lot of feathers stuck to the enclosure wire. As I got closer the carnage was unfolded.

There was dead chickens laying everywhere. Only one black hen was alive. 9 dead hens and 2 dead roosters with 1 hen missing.

Looking around the outside of the enclosure I found where the killer had entered to carry out his killerfest!:ranting2:

This happened to me about 18 years ago as well.

The Killer gets in and kills the lot then takes 1 back to its lair. The idea being that if he kills them all they will be there each night he returns for an easy meal.

I removed all the dead chickens and the 1 live one.

Put 1 dead chicken in the trap and placed it in the gateway.

As predicted he returned that night for an easy meal but got more then he was expecting.

I don't think he will be eating anymore of my chickens! :thumbup:

Luckily I had another hen with 6 babies in another enclosure and another rooster that was locked up by himself to restock my egg producers.

Regards Jeff

What did you do with him???

We had a fox hanging around our place up here, he was so game he started sleeping on our verandah, he had to go for a long sleep, our toilet is outside and the wife used to walk out on the verandah and see him running off it.

Thats mad (apart from it killing all your chooks) i would try to tame one and keep it as a pet they look unreal!

Musty :thumbup:

My 6 year old grandaughter was here and after much pleading not to hurt the fox I had no alternative but to release him or my little ray of sunshine would have had a boken heart.

I did keep him in the trap all day before releasing him and hopefully he will only have bad memories of my property.

I guess it's really up to me to make sure that the chook pen is fox proof!

Regards Jeff

I worked at Taronga Park zoo when I first left school and there was a hand raised fox there that I used to play with and yes they do tame pretty well and play just like any other dog.

The downfall is they won't stay with you if not confined and dosn't matter what you do the smell they have is not crash hot.

Regards Jeff

I worked at Taronga Park zoo when I first left school and there was a hand raised fox there that I used to play with and yes they do tame pretty well and play just like any other dog.

The downfall is they won't stay with you if not confined and dosn't matter what you do the smell they have is not crash hot.

Regards Jeff

Ha ha I would keep one and name him Jackall!

Musty :thumbup: