A day at Flint and Steel

booster42413

Hey all,

Today I decided to try and catch my first Jewie. Not my first time targeting this mythical fish but thought i might have more success this time after doing hours of research (reading fishraiders' posts & watching DVD's). So a friend and I put the boat in a patonga and headed out to the bait grounds but the wind was howling so we came back in to a spot near Flint and Steel where we found a school of yellowtail and the fun began. After about 30 mins we had enough livies to last the day. We anchored at Flint and Steel and that where the story ends. No fish, no bites, no action at all.

So i have proven again that jewies do not exist. However i will continue to chase the dream and the jewies.

Cheers,

Booster

I must admit they are there. Could be the tides that are playing a big part for you but keep the spirits up. I fished 60 times before landing my first. Then I only landed one. After that I collected a stack of my own data and worked my own pattern for them.

Honestly, they exist and other raiders would say so too.

I have been to flint and steel and few times and caught nothing. Hawkesbury is weird like that. Seems to be the same with Jerusalem Bay, always hear people talking about catching jews there. But i went 2 nights in a row last weekend armed with live yellow tail and live squid and got a big fat doughnut. Conditions were so called "perfect".

Must be the hawkesbury river or something. The jews must have left and went else where.

I have seen the videos too so the big girls must be there. I had also seen a post in the last week that said there had been a lot of trawling going on in that area recently. Might take a while for them to come back after that. I have not caught any there but i have caught some smaller ones by the rail bridge. The Hawkesbury has a strong current so you tend to have to get your timing right and fish an hour either side of the high or low.

What is a Jewfish? i've tried for them like ...... seriously 40times..... never landed one or even a bite.....

I don't really think they exist at all..... so i know for sure they are only a mystical fish like a hairtail. :biggrin2:

I've seen alot of reports posted with pictures.... they must be a made from a graphic designer..... well done on the computer drawing guys :thumbup:

LOL... seriously... 40times and non...... kidding me. :ranting2:

Mate if you want a jewie forget HR and go to syd harbor and middle harbor. Fish for them 2 hrs before and after a low or high tide. I prefer daytime low tides in the morning. Yes during the day. The next few days are good morning tides for Jews. Keep dead baits on the bottom and lives about a metre off the bottom. I have caught 3 in the last few weeks in deep water with minimul tidal flow. Fish a couple of rods with different bait. In MH I catch a lot of Jews on whole pillows with a single hook. Squid fresh dead and live of course and then any live bait caught in the area. Good luck. Anything else PM me mate. Also get some chunks of burley going on the high or low. Often when we get them they regurgitate our burley when they hit the deck. Jews are lazy and like a free feed. Sometimes they take the dead whole pillie over a live squid.

Thanks all for your tips and for those who have the same issues with Jewies as I have. I shall try all those hints and tips and see if i can get that first elusive Jewie. I hear that after you get your first you get them on a regular basis. I will continue the mission and keep all informed of my progress.

Thanks again raiders

Booster

My father's mate was the Flint n Steel jewie king. They used to go out and literally brain them time and time again but it was several (20) years ago. They should still be there and it was always October to December that they did the best. I'll tell you what they used to do.

They didn't fish on the reef but on the sand slightly up river, not far away but they used to watch others try for nothing while they caught fish. They used long rods, ie; surf rods of 10 to 12 ft and his missus actually used to use a Jarvis Walker Black Queen which is a whippy Blackfish rod.

The only bait ever used was large squid and it didn't matter whether it was fresh or bought from Woolies as calamari tubes but it had to be white (not purple or pink) and skinned. The squid was carefully cut into long even strips and fixed to gang hooks, 3 X 4/0's to a gang. They would test the bait over the side to ensure it trailed well without spinning which is a big part of it. If necessary the strips would be shaved with a sharp knife to get it to sit properly in the water. A long trace and obviously a fairly serious piece of lead attached as a running sinker as the current can be quite strong over there.

They used to get the majority of their fish around the tide changes and always in daylight hours. There was D H and his missus who owned the boat they used, my dad and another friend. Between the 4 of them the caught so many that my dad was feeding jewfish to his dog. He has a jar full of jewels of all sizes. D also could catch jewfish in the rip better than anybody I knew and as dad used to say, "he could catch one in his bathtub".

They are there. Keep trying.

hi booster

next time try the north side of lion island about 100mts out there is a hole or crevice about 9mts deep [from memory] we used to motor out 100mts off the island until barrenjoey lighthouse just appeared in line with the front of the island if you have a sounder it would be easy to find this was 20years ago and used to fish well for jew and trag west head for slimeys and yakkas then fish the hole late afternoon into the night

peter

I have been to flint and steel and few times and caught nothing. Hawkesbury is weird like that. Seems to be the same with Jerusalem Bay, always hear people talking about catching jews there. But i went 2 nights in a row last weekend armed with live yellow tail and live squid and got a big fat doughnut. Conditions were so called "perfect".

Must be the hawkesbury river or something. The jews must have left and went else where.

C'mon mate i've told you about the Hawkesbury plenty of times! Why make life harder for yourself by trying to raise fish out of the the only system in the Sydney region which is still commercially trawled on a nightly basis??? Not alot gets past the area between the heads and Brooklyn. If you are to have consistent results it will be well upstream toward Wisemans in my opinion.

Musty