Any tips for seasick?

krist1303

Hi all,

My family plan a trip for next month but I have terrible seasick. Last time we went out from Swansea and I couldnt stay over 2hours, just kept burley the fish :( . I did took some pills but it didnt work out. Any reckon how to get away from that sickness? I got carsick sometimes...PML... which pill I should take and how many, how long ? Please I need some help.

Kwells are pretty good, but i know with me when i was younger i never used to get sea sick. It was a fair few years since then that i went on the water and i started to get sea sick, a family doctor of mine said it was practice, the more you go out on a boat the easier it gets, its the worse feeling in the world i think, ive lost count how many times i have been tempted to swim back to shore.

Mate i'm lucky it's generally not a huge problem for me, having said that i always pop a pill when i run outside. But if you have a problem (as someone else said) pop them before you hit the water so they have time to get in your system because if you wait till your feeling a bit "funny" it's to late, best of luck.

Had a reminder a few months ago with a mate how got a pretty bad case of sick sickness at browns of all places, don't think I've ever seen some one so happy to to see a wharf.... on the upside he was so sick he didn't want to take any fish with him !!! so more for me

Travel wrist bands, availble most phamacies, my missus swears by them.

never suffered myself, maybe once as a kid out in a force six, with my dad and uncle doing a trawl, they opened the net and my uncle opened a scallop and ate it raw, not impressed, the words 'hey boys,i can feel it twitching in my stomach' was to much for me, instant burley time! maybe it wasn't seasickness after all lol

Edited by piratesgold

My wife and her brother suffer cronic sea-sickness. In a boat inside Port Hacking and they feel unwell.

We went for 2 days ocean diving a year ago at Ningaloo reef (outside the reef) diving with Whale Sharks and she used the ET (Andrew Ettingshausen) sea sick capsules. They worked a treat. Her brother just sailed to/from Melbourne to Sydney and no worries either.

They are on his Escape website and they are produced by a compound chemist in Caringbah in Sydney. You can order over the phone. No drowsiness or thirst as all the others cause. I have tried all the suggested tablets and aids and this is the only one that worked 100%.

Pete

I get so sea sick its not even funny.

Ill hurl on the nepean river lol.

I do the same thing all the time its my sea sickness ritual.

In the morning, stop over at M4 servo, fill the car and boat up, go to maccas eat a bacon and egg, sausage and egg, hotcakes, hash browns and a hot chocolate.

Pop 1 - 2 kwells (mostly take one becuase they dry your mouth out something severe)

put the sea sicness bands on and away i go. Ill be sweet all day .

Keep your fluids up and deep breaths it helps. Also try not to concentrate on too many things e.g. tying fishing knots.

so eat well and take the tablets on a full stomach. junk food seems to help for some reason.

If it works for me it will work for anyone lol im a pansy when it comes to sea sickness.

Hope this helps

Stan

Everybody will react differently to the various tablets and methods. For me the ET tablets used to make me go to sleep, i gradually got off them. I still get sealegs but dont get seasick anymore. Dont get on the drink the night before, get plenty of rest, eat during the day and dont think about it. If you feel seasick jump overboard and go for a quick swim.

You poor bugger, its the worst feeling!!!

Try travelclam (tablets) about an hour before you hit the water, it may make you a little sleepy but it works.

I think its called Trava Calm.

You can purchase it from your pharmacy. I got a mate just like you Stan, complete pansy too haha and Trava Calm works for him.

I get sea sick also and travel calm is a must for me but like others have said the make your reallly drowsy so what i do is take another table called No-dose which you can buy from the supermarket. Its got hi dose of caffine which in my mind counters the sleepy effort :1prop: on top of that have a can of red bull and you be right till midday.

I get sea sick also and travel calm is a must for me but like others have said the make your reallly drowsy so what i do is take another table called No-dose which you can buy from the supermarket. Its got hi dose of caffine which in my mind counters the sleepy effort :1prop: on top of that have a can of red bull and you be right till midday.

No dose - the perfect remedy after hitting kings cross on a working night

Everybody will react differently to the various tablets and methods. For me the ET tablets used to make me go to sleep, i gradually got off them. I still get sealegs but dont get seasick anymore. Dont get on the drink the night before, get plenty of rest, eat during the day and dont think about it. If you feel seasick jump overboard and go for a quick swim.

I suggested this to my mate but he seemed to have a problem with the ideas of having a dip 40ks offshore .. but as i said to him with the volume of berley i'd thrown in already if there were any around we would have seen them already ...

If you're that bad then see your doctor. The best stuff needs a prescription (and a warning about possible side effects).

"Snake oil" charms like wrist bands have no physiological effect, it's only placebo. In saying that, the placebo effect can be huge! That's why every medical trial needs to have a placebo (control) arm to control for it. I just find it extremely unethical to be charging people money for a remedy that actually has no physiological basis or scientific evidence that it does anything...

Little things like focusing on a stationary object like the horizon when you feel sick can help too, but only if it's mild...

Edited by abecedarian

Travel calm works for me... And I go outside in a tinny so it is usually always rough!! I take one the night before and two in the morning before I go out. I always eat breakfast (but no milk) and drink water. I chuck in a can of coke in my esky just in case I'm tying knots and start to feel I'll. Fixes ya right up

I think different things works on different people.

Def NOT eat or drink fizzy drinks.

But try Ginger tablets or boil a heap of ginger in hot water the night before for 45 mins.

The morning you go out, warm it up and bottle it. Drink on the way to the boat and when in the boat.

Old chinese remedies.

BTW - spew makes awesome berly for yakkas.

Couple of weeks ago I had milk for breaky and was terrible on the water, so sick, time before that i went out I had a sausage roll and was ok but still queezy, I tred those ginger travel tablets didn't work at all, sat I had 2 kwells and toast for breaky, light dinner night before and good sleep, an just ate plain crackers on the water and I was 100% all day, no sickness, so stay away from milk products because theyre the worst, I didn't find the kwells drowsy or make my mouth dry, took it as soon as I woke up and we were on the water for about an hour, drivin the boat helps me too