Vanuatu Striped Marlin and Blue Marlin

proline

Recently got back from 5 days in Vanuatu. My wife organised the trip as a birthday present, knowing that since getting into fishing about a year ago I have obsessed over catching a blue marlin. Went out on Reel Capture, which was a beautiful boat. Solo chartered it cause I hate sharing!

1.jpg

Hit the water a 6.30 am, perfect conditions, no wind and hardly any swell (although the wife still managed to feel seasick after 5 mins).

2.jpg

Couldn't believe how cobalt blue the water was, it was amazing!

3.jpg

At about 8.30 I was staring out the back of the boat when I saw a blue dorsal fin come out of the water, u-turn, and start following the spread, before diving under the surface. The deckie called "marlin" and it was on! Jumped in the chair, my body was shaking with excitement, strapped in and then heard the sound I had flown 4 hours to hear "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

4.jpg

After a relatively short fight of about 25 mins had this little guy gaffed and on board. A nice little Striped Marlin! He fought surpisingly hard, and I'm not the fittest bloke in the world, so it really took it out of me! My first marlin, please don't make any negative comments about keeping him, he fed a lot of families that week.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Promised the missus the next fish was hers. Couple of hours later we got another hit and she brought in this beautiful dolly.

8.jpg

To put it inperspective I'm 6'2" and about 98kgs

9.jpg

Edited by proline

Feeling elated, but a little disappointed on not getting a blue, started making lunch and sure enough the Tiagra 80 started screaming! After about a 55 minute fight tagged an estimated 160kg blue marlin.

10.jpg

Dream accomplished, and I was absolutely broken. I felt physically sick from the exertion of fighting this amazing fish. Sadly the missus had some issues with the camera, so no photos, but we got some awesome video of its aerial work! At least I got the memories! It was the best day of my life (after my wedding day of course!). No better feeling than pulling back into port flying these flags.

11.jpg

One very happy man!

12.jpg

Hi Mate , Congrats on your first Blue Marlin. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: . Dont worry in places like Vanuatu you fed the locals well. In these cultures you have to abide the culture of eating these fish. That is a great treat for the Familys on the Islands. When i go over there i have donated many fish. Vanuatu is great place to fish. Did you go to the Sea Mounts or just fish around marlin highway. Have done both the mounts are mind blowing.

:1fishing1: