Clifton Garden Sunday

eastwood1980

Went down to clifton with a mate and his two kayak (viking Kayak) beautiful day... didn't realised how expensive the parking was at clifton....

Anywazzz got everything ready and went down the water (first time going on a kayak).

Went out and omg.... didnlt realise how strong the water was and in no time we were like 400m out near the middle of the harbour...... had to paddle all the way back in

omg my arms and my back are killing me so badly and on top of that thunder.... and started to drop buckets of water on us and on top of that my friend fell of his kayak.

Took us like 2 hours to get back in........ when i got back near the wharf i end up falling off my kayak as well..... lost my rod and my tackle box.... worth few hundred dollars.

And the best thing we caught nothing fishing for like 30mins? paddled for like 4 hours total.... LOL wanna go crazy..... got told off by the naval base dude because we were

fishing to close to their wharf....

Never will i get a kayak..... or go on one again.... arms are killing me so badly....

Went down to clifton with a mate and his two kayak (viking Kayak) beautiful day... didn't realised how expensive the parking was at clifton....

Anywazzz got everything ready and went down the water (first time going on a kayak).

Went out and omg.... didnlt realise how strong the water was and in no time we were like 400m out near the middle of the harbour...... had to paddle all the way back in

omg my arms and my back are killing me so badly and on top of that thunder.... and started to drop buckets of water on us and on top of that my friend fell of his kayak.

Took us like 2 hours to get back in........ when i got back near the wharf i end up falling off my kayak as well..... lost my rod and my tackle box.... worth few hundred dollars.

And the best thing we caught nothing fishing for like 30mins? paddled for like 4 hours total.... LOL wanna go crazy..... got told off by the naval base dude because we were

Never will i get a kayak..... or go on one again.... arms are killing me so badly....

Good to hear you made it back safely.

Let this be a VERY IMPORTANT LESSON to all aspiring yak anglers. Practice in shallow water. Roll it a few times so you can learn how to get back in. Get fit and have systems to secure things down.

Without doing this its like having your first surf in 6 to 8 foot shark island. Very very dangerous.

Great read though mate haha

HA HA HA that is weak mate! WEAK!!!! :lol:

C 'mon dude your 31 yrs old- in your prime! You can do better than that. We paddle 15km some sessions!

Sorry to hear about losing your gear though that sux :thumbdown:

Thanks for the post I was about to wack up a post about yakkers launching at Clifton, the parking is expensive but if u wanna get into the Kings it needs to be done!

Musty

hahahaha!!! thanks for making my day!!

funny read!!!

i once went yaking with my wife in the back and it turned out to be a 23km nightmare! Sore everything!! Never again...yaking sucks balls.

Trung

Edited by dhype

I'm sorry you lost all your gear mate but you have to get back on your horse.

Classic report

Edited by Heath R

That pain in the arms can become addictive. BUT, next time (if you try again), don't fight with the paddles, slow down and use the water, push your boat along, not drag it.

Kayak is fishing can be a whole lot of fun, ridiculously complicated, painful, frustrating, fun and wonderful all at the same time.

Great story, the pain goes away, I started with my Yak about 4 years ago, I can do 10 hr sessions rthese days without straining too much. You just need to watch that getting up at the end, my 56 years old legs sometimes seem to have forgotten that their job is walking when I get back.

Stick with it, be fine.

Thanks for the giggle.

Ah it has already been said, relax when yaking even when it is tough, if it really is nasty you can always land somewhere else and go pick the car up. Sometimes it is just a mind game. Next time try the skinny water up one of the rivers or somewhere like Narrabeen Lake, much more civil and you can get used to the yak. Open water is a lot less forgiving, and the boat traffic around the main harbour always makes it a more stressful outing.

Follow the above reccomendations and attach your gear (including rods) to the kayak via a leash of some sort.

Google will have plenty of ideas if you can't think of any.

Did 2 trips this week of 13 & 15kms with one dunking (my fault) but no lasting damage.

Edited by sharknett

I second securing all your gear in the yak. If you're not a strong paddler but are still interested in kayaking to enjoy your fishing more, spend a bit extra and buy a Hobie kayak with the mirage drive system. That way, you'll be pedalling the kayak through the water and saving your arms a workout.

Hahaha classic!

I'm an avid yaka, however it still makes me laugh when people fall out. It shouldn't but it does.

Sucks about your gear but, sorry to hear.

I must say but I am yet to fall out of mine, however the biggest swell I've hit was off a wake board boat at the nepean. It may come soon.

Het musty I'm hanging to grab a king on the yak, where are you launching to get them?