Melbourne Snapper

farizzy

Got a chance to get back home to Melbourne for work and a little play last week. I hadn’t missed a snapper season since I was 18 so I was happy to get out on port Phillip again.

I herd the mayhem had started as every year gets more and more crazy. Saturday was going to be a cracker so we thought we'd better get out early. We hit the ramp at 4am and it was already almost full. far out, seems like everybody has a boat theses days hahah.

We hit our favourite mark in 18mtr straight out of carrum, we sounded up no fish but we no they will come through as this spot never fails.

We dropped lines at 5am and burlyd hard, we had sand whiting, squid and pillys out, but because we burlyd so hard the little flattys were loving the pillys and squid,

But then rite on que of first light. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

my whiting tears off, my heart was pumping and I was so pumped I hit it to fast and dropped it, spewing. my mate was all over me telling me that I was out of touch hahahah.

we kept the burly going and then it was on for young and old. 4 rods went with only 3 guys on board, great sound and lots of yee ha's.

we ended up getting our bag by 7 am. All fish went on whitting. the seasons just keep getting better and better, the best fish went 4kgs cleaned and we let go some even bigger ones after we had bagged out. There were two boats in front of us who didn’t turn a reel. Just pays to burly hard I guess. The only down side was 2 jack ass's in a boat saw us hook up and decided to anchor 10 meters away from us, and when the boats swung they were even closer, I calmly asked him to move away a bit but he said in a smart ass way I can anchor where I like, what an idiot.

1 descent run on a big fish could run straight into there lines or there anchor...

The only thing that didn’t worry us was that we had our fish and now we were fishing for fun. but the best bit was they didn’t turn a reel and we were releasing them in front of him with a big grin on our face ever time.

We decided to head in to beat the boats . Back at the ramp at 8 and no boats in sight,

Glad I got back for a fish, and the bonus is my boss wants me to stay till Thursday so ill head out again Tuesday night.

but this time we will be catch and releasing, cos seriously how much fish do you need. the bag in Melbourne is 3 fish over 40cm. the average fish is 2kg to 4kg. 3 fish is still plenty. On a day where it was packed we didn’t see one fishers officer. And they need to get out on the water and check boats, I no of fisherman who over load there esky and dump them to a mate who is waiting on a pier and head back out, This shits me. Have your fun and take a feed, but dont ruin a good thing.

Anyway all I can say if you get a chance to get down to melb, from now until late December they will be on fire.

post-19517-040629200 1320645543_thumb.jpg

post-19517-083364600 1320645797_thumb.jpg

post-19517-052132700 1320645826_thumb.jpg

Lovely fish, great report. Yes, I have also had boats rush in and try to anchor as close as possible, when they see a rod bent over in our boat. No shame as they drift past within metres, dragging their anchor or as you say, swinging to within a rod legth off the anchor. Say something, and they get agressive. Almost gets to a point that you have to back off the drag or freespool when a boat comes racing over. Good luck on the next outing.

I just love it when people anchor on my head and I get fish after fish and they get none.

The people that do that also take it very badly when you get fish and they don't.

But what are you going to do ?

Cut your lines off until they leave ? Not likely.

Releasing all the fish you catch in front of them only makes it worse....

They feel you are doing it on purpose to mock them.

One person on this site once stated that he released a decent flattie near another fisho.

The other fisho got really upset and accused the releasing angler of letting fish go back to tell their mates to stop feeding !

How do you respond to that ? You could tell him to stop mixing his medication...

...or...you could catch more flatties just to further piss off the angry angler !

Well we certainly ain't gonna go home are we....

It's a screwed up world when we have to deal with other fishos who have bananas for brains.....

But we are kept happy by the fact we got our fish and now we are in it for the fun....

Nice brace of reddies - you make most of us Sydney anglers very envious....

...and wanna anchor 10 meters from your boat.....

Tony

Yeah its tough alright,hahahahahahahahah

Just got in from a night fish.

Catch and released 6 fish, all were fat female ready to release eggs.

Mad house again out there. no colowns next to us as we kept the yee ha's down as to the rod tips hahahah.

nice read. great report.

brings back memories from when i was in melb 5 yrs ago. Although we didnt have the "luck" you had ;)

could you elaborate abit on what you mean by "berly hard".

How much is hard and how do you disperse it?

i think this is the last piece of my puzzle, that i haven't quite figured out yet

nice read. great report.

brings back memories from when i was in melb 5 yrs ago. Although we didnt have the "luck" you had ;)

could you elaborate abit on what you mean by "berly hard".

How much is hard and how do you disperse it?

i think this is the last piece of my puzzle, that i haven't quite figured out yet

Yeah I agree I never seem to know how much is enough when berleying, especially when theres a fair bit of current it all just seems to float away in a couple minutes.. Some berley tips would be great!!

As soon as we hit our spot i chop up 2 hand fulls of pillies and throw them out as far as i can in every direction around the boat.

I then chop up a heap more and throw about 4 cubes behind the boat every minuite. I do this for about 10 min.

The best tip i can give you when fishing for snapper is always have burley at the ready. when we get our first run and hook up, we dump a heap of burley stright behind the boat. when snapper tear off it means there is alot of competion down there. so when your bringing in your fish there will always be followers and you draw them into the falling pilleys, this keeps the school under your boat and the new fish will find your other baits faster.. Last night we had fish take our baits before the hit the bottom, And gee it looks awsome when the line tears off mid water.

hope this helps

i added a pic from last night on the water, gees it was tough to leave. You just wish time would stand still and you could fish that time of night for hours. Ah well, i guess that what keeps us going back for more

Cheers

post-19517-033206400 1320808239_thumb.jpg