What was your first catch on a lure

joshot15

Hey Raiders,

Dunno if this has been asked before but, after reading a post about a first catch on a lure it got me thinking; there is something special about that first catch on a lure. So i would like to know:

What was your first catch on a lure?

What lure was it?

When?

Where?

Mine was a 15cm approx Pinky Snapper on a Gulp Pumpkin seed worm in Waverton Bay 2 years ago. I had been fishing with plastics for about 2 months with out any luck until i cast out and bang something smashed my lure and peeled some line off my 2500 size reel. This little baby came to the surface shortly after. I have been hooked ever since.

Josh

post-19514-031489600 1320802090_thumb.jpg

north head - 30g twisty - caught a sizable bonito.

was spinning from the ledge all day for nothing, had that sinking feeling and about to give up when BAM outta nowhere i hooked up. That sent the blood rushing !

About 20 years ago I was fishing at Pearl Beach up the Central Coast and had run out of bait. I found an old brass fish shaped lure in the bottom of the tackle bag. I have no idea where it came from. It was about 4cm long and had a small treble on the back. Tied it on and slowly retrieved it in the surf. Fourth or fifth cast and on jumps a 33cm flattie!

Cheers

Peter

About 15 years ago mangrove jack about 40cm, Port douglas ... hey these things do work ! sadly it was another year before i got another one (but got a few barra along the way)and the start of an expensive shopping habit

I know what you mean im a stick bait junkie. Just when you think you have enough lures out comes something else that looks great... im going to buy a few of those waxwings that shimano have released i used a mates one the other day and they have a wicked wobble that you know is just going to get smashed by something this summer!

Great intro to lures a mangrove jack they are definitely on my hit list!

lol mine was a 15cm flatty with a 10cm hardbody lure about 15years ago

he was obviously a very hungry very aggressive little bugger

i was lolloling as i unhooked and released him knowing that with an attitude like that he probably wouldnt last long

Bream on a Wonder Wobbler about 40 years ago - Reckon I still have it somewhere (Don't know if this is the original but its the same as) Still works too, caught a bream on one of these winding it back through the shore break at Shoal Bay a couple of years ago and loved it.

post-99-000964800 1320827155_thumb.jpg

Cheer Blood Knot

First was a 68cm flattie on my 5th cast using a 100cm black opal squidgie shad. I was on a charter in Botany at the time & my Mrs had already caught a 73cm version. I thought this is bloody easy..... never been able to replicate that catch although my Mrs has...

About 4 years later & I picked up my 1st bream on a ecogear SX40 . The bream went 29cm

Kings

Flathead - ate it.

Home made lure made from my sister's red tooth brush (mine was blue and too shaggy). Cut the bristle end off, drilled a hole in each end, glued a small piece of lead to it, fitted two split rings and a treble hook.

Botany Bay, from the shore at Dolls Point.

Probably 1969/1970.

After that, Wonder Wobblers became the go. Then I got my first bass on a green rubber Flopy from the shore in Cattai Creek while on a scout camp c. 1973.

Baz

Bream on a Wonder Wobbler about 40 years ago - Reckon I still have it somewhere (Don't know if this is the original but its the same as) Still works too, caught a bream on one of these winding it back through the shore break at Shoal Bay a couple of years ago and loved it.

post-99-000964800 1320827155_thumb.jpg

Cheer Blood Knot

Flathead for me on the old Wonder wobbler still got 3 in the taclke box

Then I got my first bass on a green rubber Flopy from the shore in Cattai Creek while on a scout camp c. 1973.

Baz

What I wouldn't give for a couple of them in my lure collection now. They were the duck's guts back in the day :thumbup:

I think this is pretty amazing.. People think that lure fishing is relativly new but switched on fisho's on here have been at it for decades.. for some of you it was 10+ years before i was even born! :1worthy:

Its cool to read about your successes especially the tooth brush lure!

Keep em coming raiders! If you have never caught a fish on a lure then get out there and try its a really satisfying feeling that will have you 'hooked' for ever!

cheers

Josh.

:1punk: