Buying a boat

Big Berg

Hi guys I was looking at purchasing a boat in the next few weeks. I have never owned a boat before and was wondering what boat will best suit the fishing I want to do. I would love to use the boat to chase king etc and will most likely be fishing around the harbour and down south. Also ate you able to advise me on what I should be looking for and what questions to be asking when buying the boat.

Thanks

I got a better idea.

Go out the back, dig a big hole, and stand at it throwing hundred dollar notes into it until the wife throws you out!

Sorry, I'm a bit ticked off with my boat at the moment.

What's your budget?

Towing capacity?

Storage capacity?

How many people do you need to fit on it?

New or used?

Why don't you ask for some Raiders with boats, if you could go along as a deckie, and then you will see advantages/disadvantages of the boats for yourself.

If you can make your way up to Roseville bridge or the Spit I can take you onboard. Mind I have not caught anything notable in the 2 years I own the boat.

For working the Harbour you want a 5m open deep V aluminium with a 70-90hp quality motor with motor well. Handle the washing machine chop thrown at ya, plenty of zip, plenty of fishing space, you could throw an electric on it if you really wanted to. I'd go a four stroke for slow downrigging kings.

I've got mates that have chucked up in the harbour, it can get choppy.

Just make sure you get a good motor, preferably new, or low hours second hand.

Eventually you may want a v-nose punt, with an electric, it'll handle most of what the harbour can throw at ya, but you'll gain stability, though slower speed in the chop.

So many things to consider.

Get a mate that knows boats to go with you when buying it.

Fun times ahead mate.

Mick

Edited by iMick

mate go and see craig at huwett marine he has heaps off boats new and second hand he's a site sponser so you'll get a good deal and the best in sydney for motor service

i know it sounds like a plug but i purchased a brand new boat from blacktown and the motor was set two high the bimini was wrong the trailer was wrong and there was'nt a fuel gauge in it and it had an under floor fuel tank when i picked it up i said were's the fuel gauge the sales man said you didn't ask for one well were the fxxxing stick then i replyed

this is just a small example off fools that sell boat that have no idea off boating and fishing and sydney is full of these fools so save your self a lot off dramas and go see craig

cheers gary

if your gonna buy from a dealer +1 from me see huey. even if you dont buy from huey take the car or the train up to cowan and have alook around at his boats and im sure he will take the time with you to explain pros and cons of boats.

Hahaha from the sounds of things my mate might be right.

Owning a boat seems to be a lot of hassle with minimal rewards.

My mate told me that the 2 best days for a boat owner are

1. when they buy the boat

2. when they sell the boat

Maybe I will just look for a tinny to use on fresh water before I commit to a bigger boat with more maintenance.

Thanks for the help and advice so far guys

Hahaha from the sounds of things my mate might be right.

Owning a boat seems to be a lot of hassle with minimal rewards.

My mate told me that the 2 best days for a boat owner are

1. when they buy the boat

2. when they sell the boat

Maybe I will just look for a tinny to use on fresh water before I commit to a bigger boat with more maintenance.

Thanks for the help and advice so far guys

Well i've only owned my boat for a year so maybe I'm not so jaded as the others :)

Personally I don't mind spending a few bucks here and there on it updating stuff, fixing things I stupidly messed up (dropping radio antennaes over the side for example), or maintaining it. I bought brand new, a Brooker 4.75 metre aluminium boat package with a Yammie 60hp 4 stroke. I couldn't be happier with it. Motor hasn't missed a beat, has only cost me $300 odd for a service, and $7 for a broken hull fitting my missus snapped off bouncing it off the jetty :074: (should add fuel to that - about 12-15 litres for a full day running around) and lots and lots of bait haha

Actually, its the fishing gear that is a giant hole in my pocket more than the boat hahaha

If all you want to do is run around the harbour, or not far from shore ona good day I'd recommend something along the lines of mine. The only real downside is with a lot of gear that the missus likes to bring it gets a little crowded in the back, and being a light alloy hull it slaps a bit in the chop. A good fibreglass boat would probably provide a better ride, but would weigh more for towing too. I can launch and retrieve it solo (another conidtion my missus put on getting it).

Spend a bit of time researching the boats out there, take up Raiders offers of trips on there boats so you can see how they work on the water, and don't buy the first shiny one you see :074:

Good luck with your search :)

Don't let bitter people like me turn you off, I love my boat and would only sell it to get a bigger one!!

My gripe is recent and isolated, and is gear related not really boat related.

Anyways if it's your first, a tinny is a good start to get into the estuaries etc.

However if you want some harbor action a 15+ foot boat is good. Mines 15 foot Steber and I take it offshore more often than not. Handles it great.

Seen heaps of good used 15 - 18 foot lately for sale, so you won't struggle to find one. Best bet is take someone with a few years under them to give some advice.

We bought a 10 year old boat as our first. In the 2 1/2 years we have owned it we have spent $400 on engine service and $15 on boat maintenance, plus I upgraded the navigation lights to LEDs. That's it. We are now looking at a bigger boat but the one we have is just so much fun. The feeling when you are out on the briny and the water is smooth, the sun on your back and the fish are biting is well worth any odd hassle.

And I am a lucky man because my wife insists on sharing the driving and she loves fishing as well. It makes launching and retrieving a breeze.

We bought a 10 year old boat as our first. In the 2 1/2 years we have owned it we have spent $400 on engine service and $15 on boat maintenance, plus I upgraded the navigation lights to LEDs. That's it. We are now looking at a bigger boat but the one we have is just so much fun. The feeling when you are out on the briny and the water is smooth, the sun on your back and the fish are biting is well worth any odd hassle.

And I am a lucky man because my wife insists on sharing the driving and she loves fishing as well. It makes launching and retrieving a breeze.

That's the way!! Wish my wife would come with me, but I just can't convince her.