2wd Hilux's (or Similar) As Tow Vehicles

Tim

Hi guys

I know this isn't really a specific boating question, but I'm sure there are some people here that will be able to share their experience.

Just wondering if any of you use a 2WD hilux or similar to tow your boats? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm wondering if I may have problems getting traction on a slippery ramp.

I used to drive a hilux, and can remember how slippery it was on the back wheels due to no weight in the back. Does having a boat attached remedy this?

Thanks

Tim

Guest Jocool

Not sure about a Hilux, but I currently do all my towing with a Rodeo crew cab. Granted its a 4 X 4, but I have yet had to engage 4WD to get a boat of a ramp.

Sadly, it has to go as I can't keep paying it of, and it will be replaced by a trusty Falcon.

I tow mine with a pajero.. Havent had the need to engage 4x4 with that either..

I did have a nice experience at the boat ramp and georges river national park when I used to tow with my subaru.

A falcon with a boat similar to mine struggled to get off the ramp, wheels smoking and everything. My little impreza next to him, he and his mates get out of the car to see how I am going to go (expecting a car drowning), engage first gear and off i go no trouble... :074::1clap::1clap:

A falcon with a boat similar to mine struggled to get off the ramp, wheels smoking and everything.

He probably planted his right foot too hard.

I too have never needed to engage 4WD(Navara) to get off the ramp yet, even in wet conditions but im sure i will one day and its peace of mind to know i have it available.

Having said that the bloke we bought the boat off towed it with a 2wd Hilux and had no problem at all Tim, and she weighs about 1600kg(think the hilux is only rated to 1500 though!!).

G'day Tim, my previous "2nd" vehicle was an old Datsun 720 King Cab ute.

The rear end was very light but still there were no problems pulling the boat out at the ramp except for the usual "fanning" of the clutch. Only a few times at low tide did it ever slip 'cos of ramp conditions.

I now have a Pathfinder and as for using 4WD at the ramp to pull out the boat, I use it whenever I can.

Why not I say. It's there to be used and it makes it so much easier with less revs required to pull and less strain on the gear box. JMHO. :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I'm in the market now for a 2nd hand hilux, so I'll see how I go. If a 4WD drive came up in my price range then I'd grab it for sure, but the 2WD's are cheaper so I want to just make sure they'll be up to the job. As soon as I get the vehicle, I'm in the market for a boat! Yay!!!!

Cheers

Tim

As soon as I get the vehicle, I'm in the market for a boat!

53467[/snapback]

Am I the only one who thinks this is back to front :wacko:

1: decide on the boat you want

2: find the right vehicle to tow it

Seems logical to me but I guess I'm on the wrong side of the ditch :1prop:

Am I the only one who thinks this is back to front :wacko:

1: decide on the boat you want

2: find the right vehicle to tow it

Seems logical to me but I guess I'm on the wrong side of the ditch :1prop:

53471[/snapback]

I already know what kind of boat I want. There's no point buying a boat though if I can't get it home. Seems logical to me.

My boat is bloody heavy and I've never had any problems towing it with my Falcon. I don't think 2WD will be a problem at all.

53604[/snapback]

Falcons have more weight over the rear wheels, and I believe (I might be wrong here) they usually have a limited slip diff too which would make a world of difference. I think that most 4WD vehicles would have limited slip diffs aswell.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm probably concerned about something that won't be an issue at all, so I should just get over it. :1prop:

Guest bluecod
Falcons have more weight over the rear wheels, and I believe (I might be wrong here) they usually have a limited slip diff too which would make a world of difference.  I think that most 4WD vehicles would have limited slip diffs aswell. 

Anyway, it sounds like I'm probably concerned about something that won't be an issue at all, so I should just get over it. :1prop:

53634[/snapback]

Tim,

If you find that traction when pulling it out with your existing trailer setup is a problem , you can do two things - 1. move the boat further up the trailer by moving the winch mount towards the towball, 2. move the trailer wheel carriage further back towards the stern.

Both actions will give you more towball weight and could prove to be a solution.

Unless it's a monster boat a 2WD Hilux will do the job just fine... Try getting a mid '97 onwards model though, they have the more powerful 2.7 ltr engine rather than the old 2.4...

I have a dedicated race car (circuit Mazda RX-7) which we tow with a '02 2.7 2WD Hilux - the car weighs 960kgs and the trailer about 450kgs. We then throw tools, jacks, compressor etc in the back, and the Lux handles it with ease...

As a matter of fact, if i didn't want a 4WD for camping etc i'd happily hold on to the Lux forever. 4cyl economy and the towing power of a decent 6cyl - they look great with a nice set of wheels too... :1naughty:

Having said that the bloke we bought the boat off towed it with a 2wd Hilux and had no problem at all Tim, and she weighs about 1600kg(think the hilux is only rated to 1500 though!!).

Actually the 2.7 Hilux is rated to 1800kg according to Toyota... ;)

Cheers,

Paul...

Edited by FatBoy

Well fellas, I just bought a car. A 1992 Toyota Hilux surf. It's a 4WD and 2.4L turbo diesel. Not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination but it should tow just about anything. Plus it will be good for camping & getting to some of those more out of the way spots.

Cheers

Tim