Motor up or down

Sido

Good morning all,

I hear constant conflicting stories regarding whether to have the motor tilted up or down when finished fishing.

I have my boat inside the front yard protected under a custom made cover - between trips should I tilt the motor up or fully down - does it matter at all?

I understand initially down to get all the water out but after that?

Some people saying leaving it up puts pressure on the tilt mechanism.

Thanks

Sido

This topic has come up before. I know Huey from Huetts gave a good answer, but I cant find that thread.

As far as I remember, Huey said that leaving the motor up is ok in Australian conditions. In colder climates such as where it freezes, then it could be a problem leaving it up as the contents may freeze in an unfortunate position and crack the case. Theres no harm in leaving it down though (unless you forget to bring it up before you drive off!).

I think its a good point leaving it down for the sake of the seals and security. I might take that advice.

fryboy

This topic has come up before. I know Huey from Huetts gave a good answer, but I cant find that thread.

As far as I remember, Huey said that leaving the motor up is ok in Australian conditions. In colder climates such as where it freezes, then it could be a problem leaving it up as the contents may freeze in an unfortunate position and crack the case. Theres no harm in leaving it down though (unless you forget to bring it up before you drive off!).

I think its a good point leaving it down for the sake of the seals and security. I might take that advice.

fryboy

I have always left mine up all the way and never had an issue...