Jervis Bay and around Point P

Aqua Naut

Well it was time to head down to Jervis Bay to try and tackle some of these Big Kings that lurk around the bay from time to time. Got big Kev on board and headed out early. By 6am we were on the water straight for the bait grounds in search of Squid and yellow tail. Long nose point seemed quiest and we were finding it hard to bring the bait up with the burley trail so we headed for Murrays beach and we finally found a school of bait fish jumping on our hooks. We filled the bait tank with yakkas and managed 1 squid as well. Time to head for Point P around the cliffs and we downrigged for a hour but with not even a touch incredible. The sounder did not even bring up and solid returns I think the Kings are still playing in the warm currents outside. The water seemed to have drop down to 18oC and we were not confident in taking home a prize fish. We gave the down rigger the flick and decided to anchor up and just burley heavy to hopefully bring in something. We had 2 live baits out on balloons which after 5 mins being out got nailed by 2 whopping sized Bonitos which we used for frseh Snapper bait. Kev had a squid head out on the bottom and wack :1yikes: we were on.... the baitrunner on full drag with 60lb braid and 100lb leader we had no hope stopping this thing the bend on the rod and line screaming off the reel we got reefed. :ranting2: That was a big King and me think over 15kg's for sure. Anyway back at it we moved around to a few other spots we had marked out but all we got all day was 1 Bonito, 10 Yellow finned Pike, several Cods and Wrasses and 1 nice pan sized snapper at 40cm. All in all it was a quiet Jervis Bay but the water temp says it all, it just not fires up until that temp climbs above 20oC and the surface feeders start to roll in. We will be back :thumbup: Tight Lines :1fishing1:

Yes , it was hard going there mate ..with the water temps still around 18 deg C, the kings are most likely still outside....hard to say on one outing...but that king that we hooked was a steam train...drag completely locked up on a 6500 BR and I still couldnt put the brakes on it....100lb leader gone in 10 secs...unfortunately gave him too much of a head start...next time we visit will have the Gosa spooled with 80lb and 150lb leader...knowing our luck,it will jump onto the snapper outfit...!! :mad3:

till next time...!!!

Forgot to mention the 1.5kg squid...Had a livie down at Middle ground and decided to bring it up to check on its wellbeing...thought I had tangled up with the other yakka down there but as it came up, a huge squid had latched onto the livebait (killed it with two bites around its gills and back from its head)...called Pauli over to grab the net but soon as it saw the net, it would let go....did this half a dozen times and finally decided to rig a Yo Zuri squid jig on..Thought it may only be interested in the yakka, but I pulled it out of the water and the jig went in...within 30 secs, it had latched on and now it was ours...!!!! :thumbup: blasted enough ink to coat the boat and in it came...the mantle measured 40cm..!! first time catching this size squid....imagine that thing on the DR...!!!!!

Plenty of squid in the bay at the moment jumping on pink and orange jigs. A mate and i downrigged slimies and squid for three kings about 4-4.5 kg and a momumental touch up by a big hood on a slimie last weekend, they are about so get out there!

Hi Mistress,

Was the 120ft of water inside or outside the bay ?...and at what depths were you putting the bomb at ??...The reason I ask is that we have had limited success on the downrigger and I hope we are not doing it the wrong way....Do you set your depth based on some rule...eg 3/4 of the depth of the water your in ??...eg 100ft water depth, so set the downrigger at 70ft ...??? appreciate any advice,,

Thanks

Kev

Hi Whittley580,

We were downriggng between the tubes and point perp inside the bay. We had the bomb at 65ft and found the deeper marks coming up to the bomb. I find the kings have no issue coming up for a bait as opposed to going down. Hope that helps mate and good luck next time.