Mercruiser / Cummins 1.7DT

fish2relax

Gents,

Just wondering if anyone on here has a Mercruiser Cummins 1.7L Diesel in there boat?

Reason I ask is I just purchased a Trophy 2052 and the operating temp whilst running gets to one line below the max after about 30min run time.

If i back off to a troll it drops down one line.

What does your boat sit on / show on the temp gauge when running. I run at about 3600 - 3800 rpm.

With thanks,

F2R

All the usual culprits apply when looking at overheating. Thermostat first, impellers in the raw water and circulating pumps second. Blockages (old bits of impellers) in the heat exchanger. But before going nuts looking for the big things, check it isn't a crook temp gauge or sender or a kinked or collapsed hose.

Is this an import boat or local?

Get your hands on a infrared heat gun and double check temp so you know gauge is working fine, check if top and bottom radiator hoses are both around same temp, top should be a bit hotter but you should be able to hold both hoses, engines run around the 85'c mark, some hotter some cooler, if top hose really hot and bottom cold then chcek thermostat first, pull it out, put on a piece of wire and hang in a jug of boiled water and see if it opens, if not then change it, if it does look at getting radiator cleaned. does it have a cooling fan? if it was water pump on a closed system it would get hot and boil, temp wouldnt come down for a long time.

Thanks for the information guys,

Just bought the boat 3 weeks ago so didnt want to take any risks and just picked it up from the mechanic who gave it a full major service.

2005 model so decided to get it all done, new timing belt, flush, thermostate and service.

Hopefully it should run well now, next time out if the temp moves ill grab a temp gun and have a more thorough look at things. Have to wait until im on the water as it only happens under load

Book reads 90 - 100 max whilst underload.

I will keep you updated as to how it all goes.

Regards,

Ben