New year Rainbow Trout

Hi Raiders,

Happy New Year.

I spent xmas and new year visiting my wife's family in Dunedin NZ and had a camping holiday in Central Otago. While there i had the opportunity to fish some of the local dams stocked with Rainbow Trout. Now, I was brought up in North Wales and could fly fish by the age of 8 but my 15 yr old guide, (Callum,my wife's cousin) only had spin gear.I am a purist normally but I haven't fished for Trout in 20 years, so I couldn't pass the chance up. We had one unsuccessful trip then on New years day, with a huge hangover, off we went to a dam near Ranfurly. 2 hours without a thing then finally i got one :biggrin2: It put up quite a fight on light gear, and measured 51cms.

Its not a metre plus Kingy, but it was a pretty cool catch for a Welshman like me.

post-10917-056808400 1325759955_thumb.jpgpost-10917-059172800 1325759901_thumb.jpg

And VERY tasty on the BBQ that night too. :thumbup:

Welsh Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

Hey dave,

It must be good to get back to trout fishing again , and what a lovely fish to do it with.

Let us know if you want to get back into flyfishing.

A number of us would be pleased to help you back into it.

The Snowy Mountains is fishing very well at the moment.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for the replies and invites guys.

I learned to flyfish with my grandfather on Lake Vyrnwy, near Llanfyllin many years ago (early 70s) in Wales. He started me off with a worm on an unwaited hook when I was 6 then we progressed to fly later with weeks of practice casting in his back garden.My first one was a 3 lb Brown Trout caught on the River Vyrnwy,(i wish i still had the photo).I think I fell in that day too. He died before i was 10 but Jack Edwards installed all the joys of fishing in me from an early age,. And the Anglers ethics. My uncle would later introduce me to sea fishing off the coast of North Wales when I was about 15, which i loved.Then watching TV shows about Australia and the fishing here inspired me to move to this place after my mum and dad passed away.

Sadly , all are gone now. But I showed that pic of me and the trout to my sister back in Wales, and her first reaction was "sh#t Dave! that looks so much like the photo of Grandad we all have of him holding that Rainbow trout outside the Vyrnwy Hotel!". That brought a little moisture to my eye.

I hope he would be proud.

I have caught many fish over the years, many much bigger, but i think this one means more.. the more i think about it.

Tight lines all,

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

WelshDave,

Thats awesome that that fish meant so much more than the others very cool!

Remember thehres always a river somewhere!!!!!!

Roberta,

I think Nnook and Caddis are dragging thecloset flyflingers out with their reports! Musty you best get down the park and start practising :biggrin2: