Can't remember when...

big Neil

Yesterday I took 3 of the grandkids to the Bidgee for a "fish". 13y/o lad, 10y/o lass and 7y/o lad. Easiest fish to catch is Carp so took a few leftover slices and the shrimp net. Plan was to use bread whilst I caught some shrimp, which are good bait for most fish. The river was running fast and the shrimp didn't want to play, so made do with the bread. Can't remember when I learned to fish or who taught me (maybe I was self - taught) but catching Carp round here is easy... piece of cake. They'll all have fun hauling in a few each. Baited up for them and handed rod to 13y/o who promptly cast into a substantial Eucalypt which he "didn't see". Told him to hang on a minute while I get the other 2 baited up and fishing. 10 y/o has had a few lessons from Poppy and made a good cast out into the current. I cast the other rod in and put it in the rod holder for 7y/o and set about getting line back from giant invisible Eucalypt. This achieved (with great skill) I put more bread on the hook and left 13 y/o to have another cast. I can see you're ahead of me here...that's right, with thousands of kms of river he casts across everyones lines. 7y/o decided his bait was gone and reeled in only to get snagged on a tree root below. Couldn't release it and broke it off. Retackled that line and put some more of the dwindling bait resource on and helped him cast in. Right now I can get my gear baited up and show them how it's done. Good bite on 7y/o rod and I told him to wait, wait wait...right now, strike.. and we're on. He's only a lightweight and the Carp nearly pulled him down the bank and in the river. He struggled for a few minutes, yelling and giggling before the fish got off right near the edge. He got to see it and it was "huge" in his words. They all managed to hook a Carp but none were landed. Saved me having to "knock 'em on the head". Anyway they must have had fun cos they want to go again today. More bread this time and I'm sure we'll have a few on the bank. Must have been how I started fishing, just can't remember...