Boat swaying at anchor need ideas!

mrbroadbill

Hey raiders, I own 565 savage lancer hard top with clears , have dramas when at anchor. The back end of the boat sways left to right . Atleast 45 degrees each way sumtimes more. I'm running 6 meters of chain and 10mm rope with either a plough or sand anchor , either one it still sways. Tried 2 anchors one from the bow and the other at the stern for the same result ...... I tried lifting motor up and it seemed worse , also with engine in gear so prop wouldn't turn for same result .. I've been told that it could be that there is not enough weight in the back of the vessel hence the swaying. Others say to use a sea anchor. I'm running short of ideas, anyone experienced this before ??? Any ideas would be much appriciated cheers guys

When you say "sways" do you mean it is swinging from left to right?

Firstly , the type of anchor , rope etc have nothing to with the problem.

What your experiencing is not uncommon , it depends where your anchored & the tide / wind at the time.

I suspect the hard top , clears all around are acting like a sail & if you anchored in a spot where the tide is , say , running out & the wind is from the opposite direction the boat will want to lay with the bow into the tide but the wind is pushing the boat in the opposite direction .

It depends which is the stronger , tide or wind at any particular moment hence the boat swings from left to right.

Perhaps if you find a quiet spot , no wind , but good tide flow , anchor up.

There should be little or no movent.

Geoff

Hi

Most boats will have this problem at some time or another. As you stated it could be that you have to much weight up the front of your boat, causing the rear of the boat to sit that bit higher in the water.

I have a 4.5 metre alum boat and sometimes this happens to me and it is just a matter of turning the outboard in the opposite direction and it will fix it, but if it doesn't I will bridle the boat.

Bridling is where you tie off a second rope to the anchor rope and the back of your boat. Once you have put out your anchor and are in position you need to pull in about 4 metres of the anchor rope and form a overhand loop in it. It is to this loop you connect a another rope to the loop (about 5 to 6 metres in length with a snap clip attached). Then it is just a matter of pulling on the short rope from the rear of your boat until you have your boat now running parrell with the current. Tie this rope off to the rear bolard. A triangluar shape should now be formed in the to ropes.

Hope this helps

GB

Awesome, I never knew about bridling the boat - as I also have the same problem.

I found this link:

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/7924-AVOID-YAWING--HOW-TO-BRIDLE-YOUR-BOAT

Has pictures and looks simple to do.

its always a good day when you learn something new!!!

I am gonna try this next time as i too am sick of swaying around in the breeze...

great,yet simple practical idea... all boaties should remember this one!

Cheers :thumbup: :thumbup:

Awesome, I never knew about bridling the boat - as I also have the same problem.

I found this link:

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/7924-AVOID-YAWING--HOW-TO-BRIDLE-YOUR-BOAT

Has pictures and looks simple to do.

Thanks for the link, looks like a great idea and very simple to make your own clip up as well ... ill be knocking one up for sure :)