Flint & Steel 11JAN12

joshGTV

Went out of Pittwater with my mate Pete at about 4pm on Tuesday. Picked up some yakkas at West Head before heading to Flint & Steel. Anchored up and put some squid down before dark but no success. Pete decided to put a whole squid on at 9pm and dropped it over the side. About 2m down he started yelling, set the hook, and pulled up a 1.2m hairtail. Never heard of them at this time of year but we'll take it!

We then sent the yakkas down but by 1am were despondent and crashed out. 2am and Pete's reel screams. 5 minutes later our first jewie was in the boat.

We crashed again with my livie still down. At 3am my reel started to scream so I jumped on it and found that a monster eel had swallowed my yakka. Frustrating to lose our last livie that way so I looked in the esky for our last scrap of squid. Threw the bait overboard and went back to bed.

3.30am my reel started to scream so I dragged my unenthusiastic arse out of bed. Set the hook and ten minutes later we had our second big jewie in the boat. Celebratory drinks at 4am then off to bed again.

We caught stacks of squid and yakkas back at West Head the next morning but no action.

Back to Pittwater with a 9kg and a 10.5kg jewie, plus squid for entree... turned out pretty well all up!

post-1304-095453700 1326365040_thumb.jpg

post-1304-060039900 1326365091_thumb.jpg

post-1304-043029800 1326365133_thumb.jpg

good report and nice jewys , there around in numbers thats for sure,we were out there monday night which scored my partner her 1st jewys , and i dropped a hairtail at the boat myself :ranting2: bugger cause it would have been my 1st also , it was caught at 7pm on a pilly head about an hour from high tide.

cheers paul

Nice fish boys. My mate and I recently caught our first big jewies at flint & steel. The only thing that was getting touched was live squid. We managed to catch 6 jew fish within 1 hr. Size ranged between 70cm to 82cm. The only difference to your experience was that we caught them change of tide (run in) starting at 10.30am by lunch time boat out of water with big smile.

Ventured back to flint and steel to replicate, only managed a couple of squid this time and some potty mullet. Same conditions involved, except this time, i dropped a hair tail at boat, all I saw was a big set of teeth leaping towards me, lucky it bit through the line.

I managed to catch 2 jew fish only 50cm during the session with a lot of wasted opportunities, I also by luck caught 1 big green rock lobster. Great day, great feed.

What fun.

Enjoy the waters.

Edited by knot2nite

Hi all,

Not to offend or insult your knowledge of fish but there are a lot of eel tail pike around at the moment in the HR. They are often mistaken for hairtail, similar to look at especially the big teeth and ugly head however they are brown as opposed to the silver hairtail. Eel tail pike also taste like crap, (I learnt the hard way). Again i don't mean to offend anyone and i'm not saying that your fish definitely weren't hairtail, it's just info for those who haven't come across an eeltail pike before.

Cheers

Booster42413

Cheers, thank you fir pointing that out, I have been fishing a long time and I know the difference between the too. It was definitely silver in colour. I said to my fishing mate on board at the time I was surprised to see it around, specially considering the water temp was 23.6. But he said you can still get them at odd occasions.

Thanks again and happy fishing (hopefully weather will improve)