Trailer needs maintaince

Geoff

I need to do some maintaince on the trailer to protect the areas where the gal is flaking off due to underlying rust.

In checking the forums , there appears to be two preferences , Galmet & PRO 15

I've spoken with both companies. After cleaning & removing as much as the rust as possible Galmet recommend 3 products , cleaner , primer then Galmet paint.

PRO 15 is similar but also suggest a top coat making it 4 products.

The cost , Galmet $85 for the 3 products , PRO 15 is $160 for the 4

As for application , the impression I got was , PRO 15 was more difficult to use.

I'm leaning towards Galmet at present & would be interested to hear comments . in particular from an application aspect on both products & perhaps how they have performed since application

Geoff

G'Day Geoff,

I haven't used their products but you could look up www.xtrollglobal.com.au

Cheers

Deek

Deek I had a look at their web site then rang them to see what they recommend. Just need one product , Rust Conqueror. This can be overcoated with silver enamel if required.

Have you used the product , if so how is it performing?

Geoff

Geoff, If your Gal is flaking off due to rust underneath..DON'T JUST PAINT IT.The biggest problem with old Gal trailers is that when they do start to rust , they usualy rust from the inside out..The gal seems to hold it all in place, so the rust doesn't seem to be as bad as it looks..The best way is to not only have a good look and grind back all the gal for a thorough inspection but also to make sure to check the affected area...Sometimes you can go around the trailer with a hammer and simply give it all a tap to hear what is still solid..A dud sound is worth a better inspection.

It may be better to replace the affected section and then paint rather than just paint..Have a look at my last post of the Disaster HERE.. and now the FIX

This is what might happen if you do not make the proper inspection..I was so lucky..If you need any other details or help please feel free to PM me..I do all my own work and usualy make sure EVERYTHING is right when I go fishing as I live at Bathurst and travel to Sydney when I go fishing..

Geoff, ...Sometimes you can go around the trailer with a hammer and simply give it all a tap to hear what is still solid..A dud sound is worth a better inspection.

I'm in the process of doing that today , so far it's all good & solid.

Lying under trailers is not my idea of fun but it needs to be done

Geoff

I need to do some maintaince on the trailer to protect the areas where the gal is flaking off due to underlying rust.

Geoff

I'll add two more products to my origional post & would appreiciate any feedback when used on Gal trailers.

I used fishoil on cars many years ago , back in the days when doors , guards used to rust.

It was a very good protector however I found that on occusions , if the oil became wet then it would peel off which is not too good on a boat trailer.

Perhaps I can paint over F.O. I would like to use a silver colour , eg Killrust or Galmet.

The other product is Penetrol. I've not had any experience with this product but a search around the web suggests it may be a good option.

Geoff

G'Day Geoff,

I haven't used their products but you could look up www.xtrollglobal.com.au

Cheers

Deek

Hi geoff, I used Penetrol on my trailer,I sprayed the Penetrol on to get all nooks and crannys. then painted using Galmet, no need for primer when using penetrol. worked great, no sign of any rust coming back yet.

Hi geoff, I used Penetrol on my trailer,I sprayed the Penetrol on to get all nooks and crannys. then painted using Galmet, no need for primer when using penetrol. worked great, no sign of any rust coming back yet.

I've done a fair bit of homework this morning , mainly via the phone & Pentrol is currently out in front as the preffered product.

Could you advise ,

How long ago did you apply the Penetrol

Did you paint all the Penetrol with Galmet or just some.

I'm hearing that Penetol is not the best when exposed to UV. Any experience or comment with this aspect.

Geoff

I've done a fair bit of homework this morning , mainly via the phone & Pentrol is currently out in front as the preffered product.

Could you advise ,

How long ago did you apply the Penetrol

Did you paint all the Penetrol with Galmet or just some.

I'm hearing that Penetol is not the best when exposed to UV. Any experience or comment with this aspect.

Geoff

Hi, I sprayed my trailer with Penetrol, then sprayed the Galmet on top, I wanted to make sure I got everywhere, I did it over 6 months ago,I live right near saltwater so always in the elements, there is no sign of rusting at all, some of my trailer isnt even proper gal underneath due to repairs and mods, I cant fault it.