Lane Cove River

DaveTheBoy

Sunday afternoon in Sydney brought some pretty fierce storms - and then some fishing to match!

Spur of the moment trip saw me head down with my brother in the late afternoon as the tides looked right. Our favourite land-based spot was fairly occupied - but as we were catching our livies, a howling down-pour sorted out the men from the silly men, and we had our spot back.

First livie in - and a run after only about 10mins. Hooks didn't stick, but the signs were there. Yakkas were surprisingly hard to come by after the storm - so we only had 3 bewteen us.

Next set of livies were cast out - and just as we were trying to towel off and wring out our clothes a bit - both reels went screaming. Short time later, fish were landed. This was my first jew for 2012 and my biggest to date - that smile says it all!

Noted another angler further down the river also landed a jewie within the same hour, a 3kg or so specimen I guess.

Standard rig I use for fishing livies is 2 x 6/0 hooks snelled about 10cm apart - 30lb braid to 40lb mono leader. Enough lead on a loop above the trace to make sure it holds near the bottom.

I had no scales or measure - but somewhere in the 6kg-7kg range would be about right I think?

In my excitement I went back Monday night - as so often happens, couldn't buy a fish doing the exact same thing 24hrs later!

Will try & post some other pics soon.

Cheers,

Dave

post-12244-062600600 1326951253_thumb.jpg

post-12244-040047100 1326951283_thumb.jpg

Sunday afternoon in Sydney brought some pretty fierce storms - and then some fishing to match!

Spur of the moment trip saw me head down with my brother in the late afternoon as the tides looked right. Our favourite land-based spot was fairly occupied - but as we were catching our livies, a howling down-pour sorted out the men from the silly men, and we had our spot back.

First livie in - and a run after only about 10mins. Hooks didn't stick, but the signs were there. Yakkas were surprisingly hard to come by after the storm - so we only had 3 bewteen us.

Next set of livies were cast out - and just as we were trying to towel off and wring out our clothes a bit - both reels went screaming. Short time later, fish were landed. This was my first jew for 2012 and my biggest to date - that smile says it all!

Noted another angler further down the river also landed a jewie within the same hour, a 3kg or so specimen I guess.

Standard rig I use for fishing livies is 2 x 6/0 hooks snelled about 10cm apart - 30lb braid to 40lb mono leader. Enough lead on a loop above the trace to make sure it holds near the bottom.

I had no scales or measure - but somewhere in the 6kg-7kg range would be about right I think?

In my excitement I went back Monday night - as so often happens, couldn't buy a fish doing the exact same thing 24hrs later!

Will try & post some other pics soon.

Cheers,

Dave

Nice one!!!

Mate that is one awesome fish especially land based! I have fished the lane cover river a lot lately and coming back with donuts, could I be cheeky enough to ask roughly where you got him? PM if you like.

Thanks

Paul

cheers Paul - PM sent. there's fish around but, as they say - a lot of water between them.

Great fish Dave and the silly men won the day! Did you get them on the top of the tide?

right at the other end of the tide mate - I've found an hour either side of the low works best for me around these spots. Also - look for a smaller variance between high/low tides that day if you can. Not sure why but there's definitely a pattern there...

• 2 weeks later...

Great fish. I am going fishing tomorrow morning never caught a jewfish of size before any chance you could pm me your spot. I also keep checking the NSW tide guide and the change of tide never seems to match. Can you also tell me what time the tide changed on that sunday so I can work out how far out the tide guide is a rough time would be fine if you remember.