Another Stupid Question

GaryO

Just a question regarding normal Nav lights set up.

Well firstly my boat is built in the mid 90?s and to get the lights to work you need the ignition on .... So with the light switch with IGNITION ON you pull out 1 click to get red/green nav lights and a 2nd click to get rear anchor/rear white light on ..

So my questions are .... 1. Is that a normal setup ? 2. And is it a good idea to have the ignition always on 3. if i was at anchor the current set up means id need all 3 lights on . :wacko: .. I think it would be normal to have at least white light first then when under steam to 2nd click to full Navs..

What is the norm amoungst the Reg boaters here ?

Thanks

The lights should be wired seperatly, not via the ignition switch. Leaving the switch on could cause damage to the motor electrics.

Normally the Nav lights & anchor light are on seperate switches.

Geoff

The lights should be wired seperatly, not via the ignition switch. Leaving the switch on could cause damage to the motor electrics.

Normally the Nav lights & anchor light are on seperate switches.

Geoff

Thats what i would have thought !! but seeing as it was a factory setup i presummed it was the norm, altho knowing it didnt seem right to me. Jeez it wasnt that many years ago when this was built , its unbelieveable they had so manny things wrong. This is just one of several things i have picked up from a reputable boat builder.

I know the switches you have I had them on my last boat, They are good switches (all brass) but they have been wired wrong. at the back of the switch there are 3 wires 1 in and 2 power out swap the 2 power outs with each other and this will fix the problem of having nav lights on before anchor light.

Once this is done and the ignition still turned off look for a live wire behind your switches if you can find a live wire there join your power "in" from light switch to that power then you will be able to turn your lights on with ignition off.

My guess is who ever set this up this way forgot to turn the lights off more often then he fished at night.

Gary Whilst the nav lights should be wired / switched seperatly it is quite common for the dash lights , eg , tacho , speedo , compass etc to be wired into the ignition switch so if you want to keep it that way & planning to rewire the nav lights then check that the dash lights remain on the ignition circuit.

Geoff

i know the switch your talking about ,i say get rid of it and get a fused switchboard and as geoff said keep your gauge lights on ignition circit.

Thanks Guys, I have a fuse box setup in place so ill just swap the power to that, an reverse the wiring on the switch for now.

Edited by GaryO