Week at Eucumbene

flycaster

Hi Raiders

Just had a week at Providence Portal. The weather was superb. Blue skies and mide thirties everyday. The fishing was dismal. Landed one 3.5 lb brown on a dry fly on Monday afternoon and nothing but a few fingerlings in Tantangara for the rest of the week. After Monday, the fish in the river seemed to be locked in to dragonflies and would not look at anything I had.

Anyhow it was better than sitting in the rain in Sydney I guess.

Regards to all

Flycaster

Eucumbene has gone from the best I have seen in decades to the worst in a matter of weeks. Xmas to new year, my brother and father and I landed 48 fish in four days on a mixture of fly, mudeye and spinning. I was there over the long weekend just now and only managed to land 4 fish, two spinning devils and two on mudeyes. I did get busted off by a big one on the fly though.

No one else was catching either. I have no proper explaniation. A lot of so called experts are running around saying it is too hot, however I have caught nice fish there in hotter weather then what we have had. It may have something to do with a rapidly rising lake stoping and holding steady for 2 weeks, I cant remember this happening in the past.

Usually the lake rises then drops straight away bringing the yabbies closer to the edge which brings on the brown's, but not this time. All my fish were rainbows.

That been said though, we fished the portal at XMas and got 3/5 of nothing, compare that to the other end of the lake... The fish are there, but with the proximity to anglers reach and the protected water between the two I think the fish there have just seen too many lures!

I hit Middlingbank and Yens Bay 2 weeks ago and all though I got fish it was hard hard work. A handful of Rainbows that were taken on Black Nymphs when they were almost stationary.

Lake looks tops though, great to see water in some of my old favourite spots like Yens Bay again.

Cheers

Windy

I was there the week before Xmas, also fishing Middlingbank - where I slipped & hurt my hip - but landed more trout on fly than I had in the previous 4 years of trying, so wasn't complaining!!

WELL DONE on that massive brown!! Top fish!

Roberta