First King - I got smashed

Bracey

My boat is a bowrider and not really set up for fishing as I don’t have any rod holders. I had a live bait out the front with the rod just wedged against the front cushions. My mate and I were fishing off the back when the yakka got hit hard and the rod loaded up and was bent against the side of the boat. I scrambled to the front but it snapped just above the second guide as I got to it. I was fairly sure it was a king but I only had 4 foot of rod left. I was doing ok getting some line in, with the other bits of the rod sitting in the water with the line still through their guides. As I got him close to he did another run toward the rear and the line ended up around the motor. At this stage with no way to turn the fish and the line caught I thought I had zero chance of ever seeing this fish. We managed to push the line away from the motor with the net and he did one last run directly away from the boat. I just let him go for awhile and then wound as fast as I could against the drag. By the time he got to the boat he was knackered and so was I. My first king against the odds. The rod was in 4 pieces but I was lucky I didn’t lose the whole lot overboard right at the beginning.

post-20875-013198400 1328795574_thumb.jpg

post-20875-099836700 1328796023_thumb.jpg

The rod was a 6'8" Catana rated 6-8 kg. I was using 20 lb braid with 30 lb leader. I was just glad my knots held being new to this kind of setup. Thanks to Slinky for his recommendation of the slim beauty. So if I get a proper rod holder and with the hope of another king down the track should I get a stronger rod? I'm sure it was the poor position that caused this one to snap.

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude

Bart,

That is about the 5th Catana I have heard of snapping. They are super brittle. I am fixing one for a mate at the moment and the blank walls are extremely thin. Have a shop around for a replacement. You really need 10-15kg if you're going to live bait as you never know whats going to inhale your livey!!!

Nice King, by the way.

Bart,

That is about the 5th Catana I have heard of snapping. They are super brittle. I am fixing one for a mate at the moment and the blank walls are extremely thin. Have a shop around for a replacement. You really need 10-15kg if you're going to live bait as you never know whats going to inhale your livey!!!

Nice King, by the way.

I just bought an Ugly Stick Platinum 7'0" rated 6-10kg. I might have undercooked it a bit again! Nothing like a rushed decision online when your stuck away with work with only a computer.

Cheers, Bart :biggrin2:

I just bought an Ugly Stick Platinum 7'0" rated 6-10kg. I might have undercooked it a bit again! Nothing like a rushed decision online when your stuck away with work with only a computer.

Cheers, Bart :biggrin2:

The good thing about Ugly Stiks is that they are tough and take a great deal of abuse (at least the ones I own have). That is a good medium stick for kings.

Edited by Cephalopod

Bart,

Nice King, by the way.

You can make that 6 rods now....my mate's catana also exploded when he tossed out a heavier popper, snapped near the tip.

Rod was replaced under warranty no problem.. but it does make you wonder about the quality of the blanks used...

Trung