First Marlin (x2)

fishmaniac

Where to start….

Like many keen fishermen it is a dream to one day land a marlin. For me this aspiration has been growing over the past two years as I have found myself spending more time finding powerful hard fighting fish (mainly kings). With the purchase of my bigger boat last year and building up my confidence offshore I made it a 2012 objective to land my first marlin out of my own boat on my terms as skipper.

Having never fished on any marlin charters or on boats that have caught/targeted marlin I relied on internet research and the advice of some great blokes (you guys know who you are and I greatly appreciate your time with respect to discussing tactics).

I have been fishing many of those days that would allow a 450 Topender to venture out in search of marlin and have come up without much luck. I tried trolling lures a fair bit but that was not really working for me.

This weekend my luck turned and with great weather I managed two great days on the water.

On the first day I had no luck on finding slimies but had some big yakkas. I found a patch of bait and some other blokes were working it. I spoke to them briefly and they had gone 2-2-1 using slimies. They were rather dismissive of my yakkas but that’s all I had!!! So down it went on my jigging outfit. This consisted of a Saltiga 60B rod, Saltist 40H and 80lb trace. Before I could set up my other outfit the reel started howling and I set the hooks.

Within a minute a huge striped marlin was doing the old ‘windscreen wipers’ at the back of my boat. I kicked the engine into life and so the battle began. The fish was dictating terms for the first 2 hours and we got some great footage of the fish leaping time and time again trashing around violently pushing my gear to the limit. After 2 hours I managed to dictate terms a bit more and control the fish. At the 3hour 15 mark I was starting to hurt (I had no gimbal or harness here) and the fish was boat side. He poked his head out next to me, so close I would have been able to poke him with the tip of my rod. It was extraordinarily thick hence my estimate of 100kg+.

Another half an hour passed as I tried to pull his head up enough to get a grab at his bill for that boatside shot. Keep in mind I only had 80lb trace so I was in no position to man-handle the fish up to me although he was only 2m away. We thought that to actually grab the fish it would probably mean that it would need to be almost dead. We decided it was not right to kill such a magnificent creature that had put me through the ringer. This was it, and it counted!!! If we had a tag pole we could have put 15 tags in!! So I locked up and popped the leader right near his mouth.

The next day we managed a few slimies and yakkas. On the way out to where we had caught the fish the previous day we spotted a marlin tailing along the surface. I watched as he coasted down the face of a wave and positioned the boat about 100m ahead of the fish’s line. I rigged up a slimie on my heaviest jig outfit (56B saltiga rod, 6500 Catalina and 200lb trace).

post-6215-029567900 1329141065_thumb.jpg

When I dropped the bait over a stripy rushed in for a look and the bait went down deep. A minute later the bait was taken and up popped a small black marlin around 60-70kg. This fish put on some great displays, not as many jumps as the previous days fish but it got some serious air!!!! My girlfriend got some great snaps of the fish in action.

post-6215-094616900 1329141004_thumb.jpg

post-6215-072159300 1329141053_thumb.jpg

After 45 minutes which included some great driving off the fish from my girlfriend to plane him up, the fish was boat side. This time I was confident to pull the fish up on the 200lb trace and so I had a beautiful fish right next to me. The power, size and beauty of this fish was something I will never forget, in fact I’m still coming to terms with it! Unsure of how I was going to hold its bill with a towel having forgot my gloves, I decided to lip gaff the fish and use this as my primary point of hold.

post-6215-050412700 1329140988_thumb.jpg

Out came the circle hook and after some boatside photos and a swim we sent this great fish back to terrorise some bait.

post-6215-049222700 1329140973_thumb.jpg

Amazing story, effort and fish .... you have just achieved what every fisherman dreams of - a marlin on your on boat

Even more amazing is that you did it on a 4.5m boat and kingfish gear - :thumbup:

I bet you are still smiling till today (and in your sleep too)! :biggrin2:

Congrats again!

Trung

Edited by dhype

Congratulations mate. That's the ultimate angling achievement from a boat that size. Bet you're still smiling :biggrin2:

Great that you had your girlfriend on board as well - makes for a great memory both of you will share forever!!

Where to start….

Like many keen fishermen it is a dream to one day land a marlin. For me this aspiration has been growing over the past two years as I have found myself spending more time finding powerful hard fighting fish (mainly kings). With the purchase of my bigger boat last year and building up my confidence offshore I made it a 2012 objective to land my first marlin out of my own boat on my terms as skipper.

Having never fished on any marlin charters or on boats that have caught/targeted marlin I relied on internet research and the advice of some great blokes (you guys know who you are and I greatly appreciate your time with respect to discussing tactics).

I have been fishing many of those days that would allow a 450 Topender to venture out in search of marlin and have come up without much luck. I tried trolling lures a fair bit but that was not really working for me.

This weekend my luck turned and with great weather I managed two great days on the water.

On the first day I had no luck on finding slimies but had some big yakkas. I found a patch of bait and some other blokes were working it. I spoke to them briefly and they had gone 2-2-1 using slimies. They were rather dismissive of my yakkas but that’s all I had!!! So down it went on my jigging outfit. This consisted of a Saltiga 60B rod, Saltist 40H and 80lb trace. Before I could set up my other outfit the reel started howling and I set the hooks.

Within a minute a huge striped marlin was doing the old ‘windscreen wipers’ at the back of my boat. I kicked the engine into life and so the battle began. The fish was dictating terms for the first 2 hours and we got some great footage of the fish leaping time and time again trashing around violently pushing my gear to the limit. After 2 hours I managed to dictate terms a bit more and control the fish. At the 3hour 15 mark I was starting to hurt (I had no gimbal or harness here) and the fish was boat side. He poked his head out next to me, so close I would have been able to poke him with the tip of my rod. It was extraordinarily thick hence my estimate of 100kg+.

Another half an hour passed as I tried to pull his head up enough to get a grab at his bill for that boatside shot. Keep in mind I only had 80lb trace so I was in no position to man-handle the fish up to me although he was only 2m away. We thought that to actually grab the fish it would probably mean that it would need to be almost dead. We decided it was not right to kill such a magnificent creature that had put me through the ringer. This was it, and it counted!!! If we had a tag pole we could have put 15 tags in!! So I locked up and popped the leader right near his mouth.

The next day we managed a few slimies and yakkas. On the way out to where we had caught the fish the previous day we spotted a marlin tailing along the surface. I watched as he coasted down the face of a wave and positioned the boat about 100m ahead of the fish’s line. I rigged up a slimie on my heaviest jig outfit (56B saltiga rod, 6500 Catalina and 200lb trace).

post-6215-029567900 1329141065_thumb.jpg

When I dropped the bait over a stripy rushed in for a look and the bait went down deep. A minute later the bait was taken and up popped a small black marlin around 60-70kg. This fish put on some great displays, not as many jumps as the previous days fish but it got some serious air!!!! My girlfriend got some great snaps of the fish in action.

post-6215-094616900 1329141004_thumb.jpg

post-6215-072159300 1329141053_thumb.jpg

After 45 minutes which included some great driving off the fish from my girlfriend to plane him up, the fish was boat side. This time I was confident to pull the fish up on the 200lb trace and so I had a beautiful fish right next to me. The power, size and beauty of this fish was something I will never forget, in fact I’m still coming to terms with it! Unsure of how I was going to hold its bill with a towel having forgot my gloves, I decided to lip gaff the fish and use this as my primary point of hold.

post-6215-050412700 1329140988_thumb.jpg

Out came the circle hook and after some boatside photos and a swim we sent this great fish back to terrorise some bait.

post-6215-049222700 1329140973_thumb.jpg

Great to see your dreams come true.Putting in the hard yards surely paid off , WELL DONE to you and the crew.

Outstanding efforts :beersmile:

Chris. :beersmile:

Congratulations Andrew, thats just sensational to catch it out of your own boat and to do it in a 450 Topender too !! thats just insane.

In typical Fishmaniac fashion when you do something you always do it BIG, and landing 2 from 2 on jigging gear is big.

Edited by Dangas

Hey Fishmaniac,

I reckon your biggest achievement here is that you got your GIRLFRIEND on your boat to fish with you AND managed to get her to DRIVE THE BOAT off the fish successfully !

How the hell any man can achieve that is beyond me !

You must have the looks of Brad Pitt, the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the money of Alan Bond and the gab of Shane Warne (and maybe hung like a horse) to get a woman to do that.

Well done on a successful tag team operation.

By the way, nice marlin on kingy gear...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Congratulations on an amazing achievement, not only did you get the dream fish on your terms but achieved it again the next day this time you were a little better prepared. The bait and marlin must of been holding there. Just out of curiosity - roughly where and what temp was the whater. Many boats I know fished this weekend without much success on marlin. Water was green and 21 at 12 mile early Sunday and out wide at Browns was 23.8with lots of birds working the area. Many boats followed and worked around the birds for zip. Much appreciated.

Hey Andrew that's great stuff..that fish boat side looks like a pretty decent fish, if the stripe was bigger it must have been a cracker.... I,ll let you know how I go in the next few days, the guys reckon a few long liners came into the marlin grounds last night and smashed them :ranting2: hope their are still a few fish getting round, see what happens! I know it will be better than work :yahoo: Cheers Matt

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!!!

I was fishing about 20-25km offshore a bit south from Sydney. The water was 23.6 on the first day and 23.2 on the second day. There were plenty of birds working the area throughout the day.

Matt, sad to hear about the longliners but I hope you get onto a few anyways!