Hawesbury river

abiasin

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the state of the hawkesbury and cowan in particular after all this rain?

Was looking to target some small hammerheads if they were around? Any recomendations?

Cheers Adrian

The river is filthy. There are some massive logs/trees floating down and I would the whole thing as a navigation hazard at the moment.

The bright side is I don't get that pitiful longing that normally happens when I commute and cross the rail bridge with a beautiful dawn and swirling currents, tide lines and eddies. That empty feeling that says, you are wasting your life, the jewie of a lifetime is right there waiting to smash a livie and you are sitting with a bunch of fellow wage slaves, on the way to another groundhog day at the office.

Sorry for the rant, I do enjoy my job but bring on the next school holidays so I can do what I do best. Pursue my hobbies.

Yep, that river is filthy

With all the water coming from Warragamba dam and the full moon Thursday, I was wondering whether there will be a lot of fish along the Hawksbury river or around the opening for shore/rock fishing? With the crazy high tide at approx. 11.30am and dam overflowing my logic was; higher sea level = bigger fish?

Please correct me if I am wrong. If there are a lot of fish I'm be driving down there this weekend :thumbup:

Edited by redpumpkin

Broken Bay was absolutely filthy yesterday. I only went as far as Flint and Steel and threw a line in. Was there about an hour after the high tide and the current was raging. Is this from extra water flowing down the Hawkesbury or the big tides or a combination of both. I'm only guessing but it felt like about 5-6 knots. Nothing going on so I didn't stay long and headed back to Pittwater which was not much better. Should have tried the headlands outside.

Cheers, Bart

You can track the freshwater coming down the Hawkesbury from the Warragamba dam release

http://mhl.nsw.gov.au/projects/hscsal/

and at Berowra Waters

http://mhl.nsw.gov.au/projects/berowra/latest.php

Most notable at Gunyah point is the drop in salinity. These graphs are updated every 6 hours.

Notes on the data if you do click on the links :

- These probes measure surface waters (1m depth)

- Due to vandalism the Courangra Point is not operational and is being replaced

- The "spike" at Laughtondale in the CHLa was due to faulty probe which has been replaced

Stealth

Edited by Stealthmission