Plenty of bites but low hook-up rate - please help

cool_flame18

Guys, another disappointing night at Cremorne point wharf. I'm getting plenty of bites/nibbles but my hook-up rate is pathetic. I only caught one Bream in the two hours that I was there. I'm guilty of using a heavy line (15lb). Is that the main reason or am I using the wrong hook for bream? Is it my technique, I generally don't Jerk the line at all when I feel the nibbles as I've read its best to let the bream bite the bait and hook themselves (not sure how true that is).

I've attached a pic of the hooks that I currently have in the tackle box and of the fish that I caught (using the hook 3rd from left in the pic). Do I need buy a different hook?

Any help/advice will be appreciated. I use fresh Prawns as bait.

post-22521-013901600 1331120452_thumb.jpg

post-22521-045298400 1331120754_thumb.jpg

Edited by cool flame

Mate it could be ur line but I doubt it if it's at night. Ur hook selection looks fine but it's a little hard to see what size they are. 1/0 2/0 etc.

You can always use a smaller hook!! Dont forget that a small hook will catch big fish but it will increase your gut hook rate if they swallow it whole.

Personally i pretty much use lures and plastics now except for big live bait. If I ever bait fish I go by the saying "bigger bait bigger fish"

I strike all the time every time after a good bite except if im using circle hooks, they hook themselves...

it might have been that there were just no decent fish about!!! Keep trying mate and don't be afraid to use really big baits, or go down in hook size to see what fish are about. You will soon find if there are big fish about or not.

Happy fishing!!! Sam

Mate I use 1/0 or 2/0 hooks for my bream, I usually let him load the line up and instead of actually striking just use a bit of reverse pressure by slowly lifting you rod and you should hook more fish.

Also if bream is what you are targeting then I would drop your line size down to 4kg or so..

Yer I wouldn't use anything more than 8lb on the leader.

Hook preferences for me is 2/0. I find 1/0 they swallow the hook.

You should try jerking, just for the fun of it and see what happens.

Most likely, you'll hook up on heaps of small peckers, which is all those little bites your getting.

Lighter line, 1/0 - 2/0 hook, set the hook, thats all you need to know!

If you want to go the extra step, if you're not doing so already, burley. :thumbup:

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. The hooks are all fairly small in size. Size 6 - 8 for the long shanks. The one of the left is biggest Size 4 from memory.

I've bought some 4kg line as per your recommendation and will try it out this weekend. Will post the outcome when I get back.

I will try a few striking techniques, including slowly lifting the rob when I get nibbles, and see what happens!

I will try a few striking techniques, including slowly lifting the rob when I get nibbles, and see what happens!

I tend to get more hookups with a slow lift, or sideways lift with bream. Another method that I find works well is to just bounce the rod tip very slightly and wind s l o w l y - creating a jump/jerk with the bait and a slow pull away. Sometimes makes the fish really attack. Hook sizes I would agree with 1/0 - 2/0 as mentioned, although if they are finicky have done well with 1 and 2 size hooks, but not really any smaller. Size 4 - 12 we use more for catching livebait. If your hooks are good quality chemically sharpened, the slow and slight pressure will get the point to stick, and generally the fish will hook themselves trying to take your bait.

If you are in an area that is snaggy, perhaps just tie a lighter leader with your new line. I definitely noticed a positive difference using lighter line, and sinkers, or no sinker if conditions allow.

Hope this helps - just experiment a bit more, perhaps try different areas and rigs and slight changes with setting hooks and you will find a combination of methods that works for you more consistently.

I tend to get more hookups with a slow lift, or sideways lift with bream. Another method that I find works well is to just bounce the rod tip very slightly and wind s l o w l y - creating a jump/jerk with the bait and a slow pull away. Sometimes makes the fish really attack. Hook sizes I would agree with 1/0 - 2/0 as mentioned, although if they are finicky have done well with 1 and 2 size hooks, but not really any smaller. Size 4 - 12 we use more for catching livebait. If your hooks are good quality chemically sharpened, the slow and slight pressure will get the point to stick, and generally the fish will hook themselves trying to take your bait.

If you are in an area that is snaggy, perhaps just tie a lighter leader with your new line. I definitely noticed a positive difference using lighter line, and sinkers, or no sinker if conditions allow.

Hope this helps - just experiment a bit more, perhaps try different areas and rigs and slight changes with setting hooks and you will find a combination of methods that works for you more consistently.

I use number 2 long shank chemical sharpened hooks. Works really well for bream of all sizes but the really important thing to do is to buy a hook sharpener and always sharpen your hooks after catching a couple of fish and to use new hooks for every trip. Try this and your hook-up rates should improve.

Breambo

Edited by breambo

Get your self a light out fit, the reason I say this is because you could use a light leader, 6lb say, but using a light leader with a heavier main line will cause tangles.

Smaller style bait holder hooks I find are the go for a range of species, I tend to stay away from suicide hooks.

If your using prawns, peel them, bait presentation is very important, it you put the hook thru the bait in a way that Dosnt leave the point of the hook exposed and room in the gape for the hook to physically do its job you won't hook up.

Also instead of using a heavy sinker, use a little ball sinker 5--6mm dia. That runs right down to the hook with your swivel further up, cast it, as soon as it hits the water close the bail arm and let it sail thru the water until it lands and leave it there, if current is an issue and you have a heavier sinker running down to a swivel, give yourself a good trace, a metre is good.

Fishingphase

From what I can tell the most likely explanation is that the nibbles and bites you are feeling are small rubbish fish. When a bream does attack the bait, that's when you catch a fish. It's a common issue with bait.

You can try smaller hooks, but then you'd get the fish you don't want (or maybe you do...). Another option is to use a tougher bait that will last a bit longer with a bigger hook. Maybe chicken or squid. And as everyone else has said, 15 lb line is way too heavy. Drop it to 6 or 8 lb and you'll do better. Big bream don't get big for no reason so you need every advantage you can get.

Edited by abecedarian

If your using prawns, peel them, bait presentation is very important, it you put the hook thru the bait in a way that Dosnt leave the point of the hook exposed and room in the gape for the hook to physically do its job you won't hook up.

As fishingphase mentions, bait presentation is pretty much the main factor, as I have also found.

When using prawns, make sure they are peeled, make sure the hook is exposed, and do a half hitch on the top.

Don't use a tiny piece of prawn, it will get pecked off. Use a whole prawn that will cover the entire hook (expose the hook) then a half hitch on top to make it presentable. Oh yes and light ball sinkers too! Gl!

I'd switch to using peeled prawns and there is no need to use whole ones. My theory is to have them in bite size chunks so the fish can easily pop them in their mouth. Use a smaller hook 1-2 size will work a treat. I often chuck out a bit of prawn on a 10 size hook and catch plenty on that. Also I've switched across to unweighted and it definitely helps but you need to keep in contact with the bait by feeding line out. This works a treat on trevally too.

Thanks guys, I'm trying the above tonight.

I do peel the prawn and leave the point of the hook exposed. Will try a couple of presentations that I have visualized with your advice and report back. The sinker I use is the smallest they sell. about half the size of a pea.

I've dropped to a 9lb line. If that doesn't work tonight, will drop to 6lb.

Thanks heaps for your help.

So guys I went out tonight armed with your tips and the result was 8 fish in just over 2 hours.

4 Bream

4 Whiting

I think it was a combination of everyone's advice that did it. I used a 9lb line and a very small sinker, might even go lighter next time.

I used scottyB's and fishingphase's casting and striking techniques. Bait presentation was as the incredible hull said. Peeled prawn along the curve and the shaft of the hook with the point completely exposed. I casted out and let the sinker sink. Once it sank, i slowly pulled the line bobbing it every now and then. When I felt a nibble I just jerked the tip of the rod a little and voila! I actually caught a Bream with my first cast but it got away just as I was pulling it out of the water.

After a quiet 20 minutes, I was slowly pulling the line in when I felt a big nibble, I jerked the line and out came a 27cm Bream at the end of it. It was a gut hook-up.

This was a great improvement on my previous trip and I learnt a lot from experimenting with different casting/striking techniques. I'm a beginner so the advice from everyone that posted was very very helpful to me.

Best hook, from my selection above, turned out to be the long bait holder (2nd from the left in the picture in my first post). I'll be buying a packed of those in a bigger size tomorrow. Mustad long bait holder.

Photo of the 27cm bream is attached below.

post-22521-091328200 1331311507_thumb.jpg

Edited by cool flame

That's great! Nice to know that the combination of suggestions was useful, and even better to get feedback on what worked -

Cool Flame, really appreciate your sharing the outcomes of trying slightly different styles/approaches.

SB