JB and Ettalong bars

Swaz

Raiders,

I have looked on Maratime's website and didn't find the answer so am hoping someonere here will help.

1. Currambene Creek entrance to Jervis Bay- is it a bar? Do you wear your PDF's? Have fished there all my life (30 years) and have swum across the mouth of the creek, paddled boards across etc. Never considered it a bar as such. Certainly not like some I see on YouTube.

2. Brisbane water at Ettalong where it meets the ocean- is that considered a bar?

2. Ettalong. It's always referred to as a bar, so I presume yes. It's generally pretty calm but I think (not positive) it has lifejacket signs heading towards it

Have only been out there once as a skipper and I think I saw a sign on land where the last marker is.

the entrance/exit to brisbane water is imo pretty safe under most circumstances except for the obvious. very strong winds opposing the tide and or large swells.

it would all depend on the size of your boat,experience and weather conditions..cheers.. stevo..

Raiders,

I have looked on Maratime's website and didn't find the answer so am hoping someonere here will help.

1. Currambene Creek entrance to Jervis Bay- is it a bar? Do you wear your PDF's? Have fished there all my life (30 years) and have swum across the mouth of the creek, paddled boards across etc. Never considered it a bar as such. Certainly not like some I see on YouTube.

2. Brisbane water at Ettalong where it meets the ocean- is that considered a bar?

On maps I have seen they have a dotted line going from the point at half tide rocks across to the beach and it states that after the line its clased as "open water" which means its a bar crossing.

Regards

Stu.

Raiders,

Currambene classified as a Bar and PFDs are compulsory. Have a look at the maritime maps to confirm.

I'm not a local to the area but I fish around Ettalong a bit. I don't recall seeing Life jacket signs, nor do I see very many people using them. If you stick to the markers, take the long way around to the left after heading out past Half Tide Rocks the channel is pretty safe. Having said that I got caught out once coming back from a weekend up the Hawksbury and the weather turned very sour, 6m waves. In hindsight I was a dill and should have turned back to the Hawksbury. So, yes, it can get dangerous, but I'd say only in extreme conditions. As for whether or not it is technically considered a bar crossing. i am also interested in the answer. i never thought of it......

If we're talking about the bar at Huskisson on JB, definitely wear your life jacket. I was there one day when there was a big surf running and a boat flipped trying to go out. And coming back in on a run out tide the pressure waves were quite scary.

The "bar" that really amuses me is at the Berkeley boat harbour at the north end of Lake Illawarra. There is a sign warning that the bar can be dangerous. :huh:

Edited by Benzeenees

In relation to Ettalong, over time it seems to have gotten tighter and tighter- Generally good but can get nasty with any sort of southerly and an out going tide. Ive seen guys surfing there when conditions are right.

Noel.

Read the marine charts again and I do notice:

screenshot20120315at510.png

As for JB bar. I have been holidaying there for 30 years as I said and I haven't ever seen anything greater than 8 foot waves in the bay. Not the sort of day to go out in a boat. I accept it is a bar, but it's gotta be one of the safest around.

I am a central coast local and pass through ettalong channel often. You do not need to obey the rules for bar crossings if you are within the marked channel on the eastern shores. If you go trolling along the banks or otherwise west of the markers all the rules for bar crossing apply.

The depths are very variable and board riders are often a long way out from shore. They catch the tide out and then back in. Any sort of southerly swell and wind needs watching closely. Staying against the east shore is quite safe in an appropriate boat.

In the 25 years that I have been going to the Brisbane waters never have I seen any sort of Bar crossing, it does get shallow beyond the red channel marker but between the red and green it is quite deep with no danger at all!!! I even cut across to go to lion island without a problem and you can visually easily see the shallow spots. Anyhow if your new to the area just follow the channel markers and you will not have a problem at all. You definitely do not need to wear life jackets. Half tide rocks can get a little wobbly, nothing to worry about either, again stick to the channel markers and it is very deep within the markers. Anyhow trust me that when you go there you will see for yourself that there is nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Half tide rocks can get a little wobbly, nothing to worry about either, again stick to the channel markers and it is very deep within the markers.

As of last week, at low tide, on the north side of half-tide (the inside) the water depth near the port hand marker and heading northeast is less than a metre due to an encroaching sand bar. Although its on the enclosed waters side of half-tide its something to be aware of if you've got a larger boat or deeper draught.

Just be careful as the sand is shifting all the time. generally reasonably safe but as suggested, an outgoing tide with a southerly swell can make things interesting.. as always use care and watch others go before you to follow their lines.. i remember many years ago having to contest 4m waves breaking over the bow which wasnt really much fun..

Cheers

Have been over the Huskisson bar at the mouth of Currumbene Creek a few times without drama but it is a bar and there have been a few boats go over there in recent times. It can sneak up on you if you don't pay attention and should be accorded respect like any bar.

The entrance to Currumbene Creek is not a Bar, have been fishing out of there for 26 years, have spoken to VMR about it as it used to be on the list and was told that you did not have to wear a life jacket as was the same thing for Bermagui, if you check the Maritime website they have been taken off the list.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The entrance to Currumbene Creek is not a Bar, have been fishing out of there for 26 years, have spoken to VMR about it as it used to be on the list and was told that you did not have to wear a life jacket as was the same thing for Bermagui, if you check the Maritime website they have been taken off the list.

Cheers

• 8 months later...

This post is late but may provide some historical explanation regarding Currumbene Creek classified as a bar crossing on some documents.

My first trip to Jervis Bay was to Callala and Huskisson around 1978 - at that time there was a rock shelf at the entrance to Currumbene Creek. It ran at right angles out from the shore behind the Husky RSL club and extended about 20m into the channel.

This meant to get in or out, after lining up with the markers, you had to make a dash parallel to Callala beach - this water is shallow!!!! If there was a bit of a swell or bit of surf, then you had to time your parallel run so that you did not end up bottoming out or getting hit side on by the waves - or BOTH! Coming in with the waves behind you (even 3 footers) was interesting to say the least. This was pretty much a bar crossing and boats were rolled by the surf regularly. I first got my hands on a boat in the 80s and made that crossing in a Quintriex Fishabout with a 40HP Mariner several times and clearly remember lining up with the other boats to wait my turn!!!

In the 1985-1990 timeframe the rock shelf was blasted and the mouth of Currambene Ck was dredged - hence today you see the wooden warf and the sizeable whale watching vessels and even some yachts now in Currambene creek.

This certainly has made boating much safer - but as a fisho, I can tell you there was no better place to catch monster tailor than behind old Husky pub, in the dark with the moon out and the surf breaking on the rock ledge and the foam floating across into Currambene Creek. Casting pillies on gangs (no weight) toward Callala and slow retrieving through the foam was sheer adrenaline time. During the day, this spot was a local "hot" luderick spot as well. Sadly all that disappeared after the rock ledge was gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the xmas period a boat was rolled with 6 or 7 people on board at Ettalong. Also last year a dive boat was rolled as well with people on board so yes it can get tricky in that spot. Ive seen jet skis go out with surf boards to catch waves as well. A surfer friend also trold me that its a well knbown surf spot when conditions are right.