Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished off Lilli Pilli in the deeper water this morning for the fish in the photo. Most of them were hooked fairly deep in the mouth/throat, which sometimes happens in the discoloured water as the fish grab the baits with a bit of aggression.

The jewie is not too big, however, I did release a couple of fish that were only just hooked. Another reddie just over size, 2 jewies of 55 and 65cm, and a tailor of 48cm. That tailor put up a good fight on a handline, and as it was heading towards the surface near the boat, something around 2 to 3 times longer than the tailor shot up from underneath, and the tailor took off like a rocket. I could not tell if the bigger critter was a fish or a shark, the water still has some brown colour and the critter looked brown along the back. Also bitten off by a tailor of similar size.

A few small kingies around the 55 to 60cm mark followed the reddies to the boat. Not too many little reddies about which was a change, the fish would bite then nothing at all for a short while, then back again.

The jewie had about a dozen nippers in it's stomach, so it had been feeding in shallower water during the night.

Baits used were salted tailor strips, strips off a couple of yellowtail and pilchards. A squid strip sat on the bottom for no bites again like the last couple of times out.

post-13153-086606800 1331896049_thumb.jpg

This photo is of the 8 whiting I caught last week, the best at 44cm.

post-13153-032079500 1331896121_thumb.jpg

Yowie.

Great bag and nice info about the stomach contents....I'd love to see the jew cruising the shallows picking nippers off!

I suppose when a fish is hungry, anything becomes food. One of the reddies also had a fresh nipper in it's stomach as well.

I've never seen nippers free swimming at any time, so maybe they are closer to the sand surface at night time. I have seen bream and whiting sucking up sand and expelling it through the gill covers to get to nippers and squirt worms, so other fish must do this as well.

Observing how fish feed can help in catching them.

Hi Yowie

Good catch and a good whiting last week any whiting over 40cm is a top fish.

I fished up in the shallows/edge of dropoffs on fri afternoon. the weather was fantastic. All the spots that usually produce were just dead kept one 35cm whiting. Took most of my live nippers home with me. Very quiet, I'll have to start trying the deep water.

A boat at the ramp at a 1 metre jew caught on a soft plastic I think caught in South West Arm.

I'll try again next week.

Bruce

Just curious why the photos in black and white?

A new mobile phone.

Now that you mentioned it, I just looked at the setting and found that it was on the black and white setting, so I changed it to colour.